Question about water for the 2 feral cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Question about water for the 2 feral cats

You talk about making a shelter for the feral cats and keeping them warm during the winter time. But you guys didn't say anything about the water. How do you keep the water from freezing during the cold months? Do you put out a heated water bowl for them? if not,what kind of bowl do you use to keep the water from freezing? I am worried that Ms.Brindle and Smokey aren't going to have fresh water this winter because it will freeze. I can't put out a heated bowl because i don't have an outlet where the cat house is.

Here are 2 pictures of the set up i have for them.
The small deck there the cats get there food.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/N ... ledeck.jpg

Upclose shot...you can see how i keep the water for them..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/N ... andbed.jpg

These pics were taken over the summer time. I need some water ideas before it gets really cold.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Question about water for the 2 feral cats

In winter I use a tank heater for the horse and fill the tub on non-freezing days. The water level is usually always up high enough the outdoor/feral/stray kitties could easily reach and have access to water. I am considering a pond (next summer) and I would use a stock-tank de-icer (like for my horse's water tank) for the pond/fish, and that would have better access for outdoor animals other than my horse.

When I had a dog, she had an electric bed and an electric bucket to keep her water from freezing.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Premier Cat

thank you for the picture of the carrier. Have you modified the carrier so its insulated or are you going to cover it once it is cold?

I found this information on solor covers if you havent insulated it yet.

Debbie Peterson of the Chicagoland Stray Cat Coalition uses solar pool covers/blankets to keep her ferals warm during winter. Solar pool covers are used to attract and retain heat from the sun, to keep water in swimming pools warm. Debbie saw them as a way to upgrade her feral cat houses to solar energy! On a 10F/-12C night the temperature inside could easily reach 70F/21C! Torn but usable solar pool covers can be found curbside on suburban garbage pick-up days. Purchased new, prices vary based on construction and thickness. A 15 mil premium-grade 12' round blanket costs $32. Cut them with standard household scissors. Drape one over your feral cat house silver-side down, and the purring will start. Aim for full exposure to the south. Check the temperature until you know how much heat is generated; it may become too warm inside on milder days! Consider setting up a solar feeding station a distance from the sleeping area.

another idea, depending on your budget, is you could install an outlet to the outside. If you have an inside outlet by the door an electrician can tap off of that to run another outside. I did that for a fountain I installed outside my office window. It cost me $75. Took him an hour to do. That way you could plug in a heated bed or heating pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

To Mitts...

That idea about the solar pool cover is awesome. Where does one get that though? Would home depot have that? could you just get the size you need? or do you have to buy the whole pool size?

I don't have an outlet on the inside of the house. My parents would not agree to putting in an outlet for 2 feral cats. I have an outlet on my other deck. But i know my parents wont let me run an extention cord to plug in a heated bowl. *my dad is picky about the heat bill*
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Premier Cat

If you are on a budget I would look for a used one. I would keep an eye out at thrift stores. We have a places here ~ white elephant and the attic. They take donations and sell them and then fund their shelter and other worthy non profits in the area. They accept even building materials. Check thrift shops like that or go to a pool supply place. Tell them about helping the ferals and they might have a piece they can give you. Its amazing what people will do when they find out your in rescue and helping animals. Or put an add on craigs list for a used one. Good luck. And a big thank you for helping these feral kitties.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Im having a hard time finding a used pool cover on craiglist. What about those silver camping blankets?? Do they do the same thing? I saw a person use one on tv and i thought that might work because there smaller then a pool cover.

I have a cat bed in the house and it has one of those liners inside it that keeps them warm when they sit on it. I also have towels on top of that to keep it clean and dry.

I found this online> would it work to keep the cat house warm?
http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewItem/36/202/3299/

or would this one be better?
http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewItem/46/ ... 1/t/21640/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Premier Cat

Those look good too.
Id put them inside the walls of the kennel.
Adhear them to the walls. Maybe glue them?
Or put this insulation in there also with it.

This is the webpage for a cat shelter so you could get the jist of how they are insulating the shelter to modify for your kennels.

http://www.pacthumanesociety.org/core/WinterShelter.htm

Have you called a pool suppy store or contractors who build pools? They might have a lead on get one cheap.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

If i got that blanket thing and taped it to the inside of the cat house,would that really keep it warm in the winter time?

I took some hay from my horse's barn and put the hay inside the cat house.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Premier Cat

I would put a thermometer in the kennel
and see what the temp is when he is in there
with his body heat. Sounds like a really good start.

Thank you for doing this for the kitties. Your
off to a good start!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ms. Brindle & Smokey don't come to the cat house when i am putting in the food. I think they come at night or something. In the spring i would see them all the time. But now it seems like they come at night. I wouldn't know what there body temp would be like in the house since they would run away if they saw me. But for now i will just keep adding hay inside.

As for water... so far the water hasn't froze. Its been warm out. I hope it will be like this for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page