Kids - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Kids

Momcat had 5 babies today ....why she had to have 5 I dont know , 2 I could have kept but I cant keep 5.

I havent gotten too close, just had a quick peep and gave her some nice food to tell her what a clever girl she is , but she is fairly calm and purring.

She is still rather wild , but im going to trick her with these kittens , everytime I have a peep ill deposit a nice snack in her bed .

They all seem fine and sucking like crazy with little fat bellies

Ill keep you all posted

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Kids

I know you live quite a distance from the vet, but I'm sure you'll get her spayed when you can. I love kittens, but knowing how many animals you have, you probably don't need any more kittens! My guess is you won't be able to resist them; I know I couldn't!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Premier Cat

Im so glad everything went well with the delivery of the kittens. I know you were concerned. Must be all that love and good food she is getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Jeannie as soon as we are handling the kittens from around 3/4 weeks she is off to be spayed , her and the male , I havent wanted to cause too much of a disturbance with her being preggies.

I will start handling the kittens as soon from about 3 weeks I think ? then their eyes are open and they should be tottering around.

I dont know what im going to do about the kittens .... including them ill have 22 cats ...its a bit of a problem , ill try and find good homes , but out here thats not easy , so I shall see .

The thought of keeping all 5 ..... eeeek ..imagine 5 kittens romping around , and then Uncle Freeway and and Uncle Tyson will naturally join in . Oh well I will worry about it later .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, I wouldn't consider spaying a pregnant cat. I hope I didn't give you that impression.

When I was in my twenties, my female cat had a litter while I was in the hospital, having a baby too. They were 2 1/2 weeks old when I found them, and they were hissing and spitting! I think I'd start handling those babies a bit earlier so they are socialized when it's time to leave mommy cat. And you get to play with them longer too!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Oh, I wouldn't consider spaying a pregnant cat. I hope I didn't give you that impression
No

Jeannie how old do you think they should be ? im so wary of upsetting mom cat ,a nd also being shredded when I look at her infants ?

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Premier Cat

Carol, I would visit the kittens when mother cat leaves them to eat. Usually, she will leave them for a short period after a day or two.

Jeanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Premier Cat

I think I would take my cue from the Mother cat at this point, because: "If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"
If she is okay with you handling her babies, then handle them. If she is not, then I'd wait until the kittens were more mobile and the mother couldn't prevent them from approaching you to be fed and handled. This would be around 3-5wks, weaning-age.
ALL kittens will hiss/spit at a "new scent" that comes into the nest. Kittens will even hiss/spit at their Mother if she comes in smelling strongly of 'outside' or 'hunting'. The hissing/spitting is simply a survival instinct that manifests itself to provide better chances of survival when an intruder nears/enters the nest.

The only way to avoid the hiss/spit is for the kittens to be as familiar with your scent as they are with their mother's. However, if you have to wait until 3-5wks before the mom-cat is comfortable with you and you can handle the kittens regularly, I do not feel it will be a problem. The kitten hiss/spit is an instinctual response and when they reach weaning age, become more mobile, and you're bringing them yummy canned food to wean on and then gently handle them ... they will quickly learn (with no adverse effects of earlier kitten hiss/spitting) that you (people) are The Bringers of Good Things and their experiences with you will teach them to be trusting of people and able to be relaxed and confident kitties.
h =^..^=

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Premier Cat

When I have a nervous momma kitty and kittens I sit by the fresh bowls of food Im giving her to get her use to me. I test to see if shell let me near the kittens. The sooner you can handle or even just touch them them with her at semi-ease the better. The more the kittens see of you and hear you the better and they will aclimate to you even more than the mom. Id remove them from her at about 4 weeks if she is hissy spitty. You dont want her teaching them feral traits. Its counter productive.

A smart mom will realize you are there to feed her and you are a good person to be around her kittens. I always send the mom calming messages in my thoughts when Im sitting by her. Its amazing how they can pick up on that. Am I remembering correctly you have her in a room in your home?

22 cats ... yikes. That is a huge responsiblity all on your own. My heart goes out to you. Keep us posted on the kittens and mom and the progress.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Premier Cat

Good advice, Merry.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page