We've recently had 3 cats to show up in our neighborhood... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

We've recently had 3 cats to show up in our neighborhood...

One is a large white male. He is extremely skittish of people. I stepped outside the other night and didn't know he was out there. He took off running down our driveway. He didn't even look back until he was across the road in a neighbor's yard. I generally only see him at night.

There is a large tortie roaming around. I've only seen her a few times, because she generally stays hidden and with her coat coloring, she blends in very well with her surroundings.

The last is a large black and white. I believe this one is a male. I don't think he's as feral as the other two, so he could be a stray. He comes around some during the day. I was able to capture his picture today, but he was keeping a good distance between us. Our front yard is about a 1/4 of an acre and he was towards the end of it. I was on the front porch and tried to zoom in on him, with the camera, so I apologize for the quality.

I made a shelter up under our front porch and put out food and water. I've always had an interest in the TNR programs and doing what I can to help, but someone has been trapping all of the neighborhood cats and taking them to the shelter. Well, we all know what that means. I decided that now was the time to get involved with the ferals, since I'm seeing them again.

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

Re: We've recently had 3 cats to show up in our neighborhood...

Good luck.
My husband told me he saw a black kitty in our back corral this morning. Tonight I will be putting out a bowl of cheap canned food and scattering a handful of flour on the barn floor.

...the flour is to identify species (kitty, possum or 'coon) by footie-prints.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Awwww! He looks like one of the ferals on my cul-de-sac!

When my girls were at the vet today, I found out which TNR group that my vet works with. I may contact them to coordinate TNRing the little ones. It makes me sad that they're just released back outdoors, but at least there won't be any kittens.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh he does, doesn't he? I know what you mean about the TNR. It's one of those situations where you get torn on, because you want them to have a loving indoor home, but, then on the other hand, so many of them would never be companions like our babies, and, like you said, at least they can't have kittens.

The flour idea is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. It might be a good idea for me to do that, too, since I have seen foxes and a 'possum around.

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

One of the little orangies tries to come inside with me when I get home at night. I breaks my heart.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
One of the little orangies tries to come inside with me when I get home at night. I breaks my heart.
I may have missed this somewhere, but why can't you let that one come in?

- Unknown
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Many reasons. My girls. My landlord, who has let pass the fact that I was allowed to have two cats and now have four, fleas, other diseases, don't really know if the cat is male or female, which is a whole other set of issues.....

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Many reasons. My girls. My landlord, who has let pass the fact that I was allowed to have two cats and now have four, fleas, other diseases, don't really know if the cat is male or female, which is a whole other set of issues.....
Oh ok. I didn't know you had a landlord and weren't allowed more. I understand the fleas, diseases, etc. I was just thinking in the terms of bringing in, bathing for fleas, quarantine, vetting, and then socializing for adoption.

- Unknown
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

He'll walk up to me, but won't let me pet him. They're definitely all feral, but friendly. Some of them were picked up by a group that DOES socialize and rehome after they're fixed. I wish they'd come and get these little ones, too.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
He'll walk up to me, but won't let me pet him. They're definitely all feral, but friendly. Some of them were picked up by a group that DOES socialize and rehome after they're fixed. I wish they'd come and get these little ones, too.
That would be so awesome! Maybe they will. **Paws Crossed** I'm glad that people are taking interest in the feral kitties. The black and white boy was back outside last night. I haven't seen him at all today, and I haven't seen the tortie girl for a few days.

- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page