new, and problem with feral kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

new, and problem with feral kitten

hello im new but i came looking for a place to ask advice about my kitten his name is cookie
on Christmas eve i was at a elderly relatives home i was amazed by all the cats. i was told they wear feral and not to touch them well on my way out i saw this tiny little black and white thing huddled in the corner i went to him and picked him up and i knew then i had to help i put him in my coat and drove home the whole night i was worried he would die he just laid in a box and shivered but by the next morning he was doing better and eating hard food my two cats took to him well and i figured he would be fine but now two months later he still doesn't seem to have grown my vet said he seemed fine just under nurtured and he should have shot up but he is not he is at least 4 or 5 months old but seems the size of a 8 or 10 week old kitten and when i had a catch and release man come to fix the rest of the cats i found out that all of the cats are inbred including my cookie and to top it all off he is still skittish around everyone but me he hissed at the vet and tried to bite her

if i posted wrong let me know and im sorry in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: new, and problem with feral kitten

Welcome to CatForum and it does sound as if your kitty has some in-breeding issues, though I bet he hit the jackpot by landing a loving home with you . Health and genetic issues may be his biggest challenges to overcome but I think you could improve his socialization skills by slowly increasing the amount of time he tolerates being handled and introduced to new people so he can slowly aclimatize and learn to feel comfortable and relaxed. Some cats respond very well and some do not, you'll just have to watch him and see what level he is comfortable at.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, i was worried that i had posted wrong and upset someone i will actually be taking him with me when i go to work and from there he can get used to people who cant touch him and then ill let people approach him (i work in a local pet shop ) the reason im so surprised by his behavior was that he was very very friendly with me and my boyfriend and my dog and my two cats he just seems to hate other people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Premier Cat

Well, cats can be very territorial and possessive. On the other side of the coin, if you aren't someone they already *know* ... they usually aren't that interested in getting to know you. Unless there is something in it for them, like a reward. Petting or food treats. I think his behavior sounds normal.
A few of our cats love everybody. Most of our cats are ho-hum ambivalent. A few are okay with us and no one else. The ones who aren't okay with anyone else, I do try to at least get them socialized to the point where they realize they don't have to worry about visitors and it helps them to remain relaxed when company is over. Maybe going to work with you will help him become more socialized.
h

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

i hope so he really is a sweetie and ill bring his new best friend my yorkie with me so they will be able to keep each other company thear are no other animals in the shop so that wont be a problem and customers cant bring pets behind the counter so im hopeing this will help him
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I hope he lives a long and healthy life! He sounds like a sweetheart. Some cats don't like strangers. As long as he is loving with you and your husband. I'm so glad you rescued him!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page