I need help trapping a feral for a 2nd time. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I need help trapping a feral for a 2nd time.

I need advice. For nearly a year now I've been feeding a feral cat that showed up at my back door one day. Twice a day he shows up and twice a day I feed him. I have three cats of my own, two of which were feral at one point. This cat is different.

He still won't let me get within more than 10-20 feet of him. When I take his food outside he will run a short distance, hide behind a tree, poke his head out to see where I'm putting the food, hiss at me then wait until I leave to walk up and eat his food.

Last month Moses (his name) showed up at my door with an injury. He was hopping on three feet. As I knew that most animals will only be trapped once, I had to make the gut wrenching decision to trap him and take him to my vet's for help, or not trap him and wait until I was moving (2 months out at that time) hope that he recovered on his own and then trap him and take him with us to our new home. I decided to trap him.

I was successful at trapping him and took him to my vets where they were able to treat his wounds and give him a shot of antibiotics. He is now recovered, but still the same problem lingers. I cannot get anywhere near him still and I'm moving in less than 3 weeks time.

Do you have any instances where a cat has been trapped more than once? Is there any other way to capture a cat humanely?

I consider Moses, despite his fear, as a part of our family now, and know he relies on me now to feed him and take care of him.

Thank you for anything you can suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Premier Cat

Re: I need help trapping a feral for a 2nd time.

Welcome,
The humane traps are as humane as you can get when trying to trap feral cats. I have been able to trap several cats more than once, so it *could* happen. I think, if you begin to feed him with the trap next to the plate each day, he will learn to just see the trap as 'part of the picture'. Maybe tie open the trap so it can't close and feed him in it, pushing the plate further in each day. The cats I trapped more than once were when I was trying to trap a raccoon that looked like it needed help and I caught Pretty (still semi-feral at that time) who had been TNR'd the year before ... THREE times and a neighbor's male cat twice in that week I was trying to catch the 'coon.
Most of our cats were former ferals and I wish you the best of luck!
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

thanks for your reply heidi

I'm going to give it my all, and pull out all the stops. for some reason I am picturing myself with a net sitting antop the roof of my apt waiting for him to come eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Premier Cat

You are so kind to help him. Some cats are more savy than others. You could only know by trying to trap him again.

We will all cross our fingers that you can get him again in the trap to help him. Do you plan on taking him with you too?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Mery,

Thank you. : )

Yes, I want to take him with me, that's why I'm so worried about getting him trapped again.

I've been doing animal rescue since I was in college, nearing close to 20 years now, and this boy is the wildest I have ever encountered. If I can get him this time (I have to as I'm getting ready to move!) I'll have to figure out a way to best relocate him as well. I know from experience that you just can't let the feral cat out once you've moved. They just scatter about and normally never return. Wow, yes it's going to be hard, but I owe it to him to try.

I have 3 other cats with me. All well loved and spoiled rotten. Two of them were feral's and I guess because they came to so quickly I always expected them all to! Not with Moses!

Well, I'll keep everyone updated. Oh... to top off my circus here I have a rescued puppy pit that I'll be driving to Oklahoma (I live in NC) to pick up next week. The foster family couldn't keep him until mid april so I have to bring him back to my tiny apt of cats. !!!!

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

You're between a rock and a hard place, aren't you? It's quite a predicament. He depends on you for food, but it's hard to successfully move a feral cat. Perhaps Merry can give you some tips. Thank you for caring so much.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes, sadly I am.

And to top everything off, a good friend who was flying over from ireland to help me move (as well as make a 2500 mile road trip to pick up my dog) has changed his mind apparently and isn't coming over to help me.

Wow. Oh well, I suppose I'm still young enough to make a move all by myself, but this does makes things a lot harder. I won't give up though.

Thanks for your reply. : )
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Premier Cat

Weíve had an amazing couple that participated in our barn program. They
had to move and took all our ferals with them!!! What compassion.

Are you going to live rural where youíre moving? Will you have a sheltered
out building or barn. From our experience of moving cats to a barn you
have a 50/50 chance of success of them staying and not leaving to try
to find their former home. Itís so difficult when itís in their nature to be
territorial.

We set up a large 4x4 kennel with top on it & with shelves to be on
and cubes or boxes to hide in plus litter box and food/water. Or its
even better if there is a tack room in the barn. Its so easy when
there is a tack room because they head for the rafters and you can
easily come in and change the litter box and feed them.

We keep them sequestered for a minimum of 3 weeks if not more.
That way they will get use to sounds, smells, get comfortable in
their new locations, figure out this is where the food source is.
The hardest day for me is when we open the door and let them
head out into the great unknown, praying they will come back.
There are always tears in my eyes when we do this. Sometimes
it takes a day or two for them to show up again but we keep food
out at all times to signal them this is where you were and your
food is always here.

If its still chilly there we put electric blanket over the kennel
or in a tack room we put a lot of blankets and cozy boxes to
hide in. If summer we keep fans going.

You sound like a compassionate knowledgeable animal lover
so you may already know all this. I hope you manage to get
Moses and move him successfully. You are totally awesome
to do this. Iím so impressed!

PS I got tears in my eyes when I saw your name. My beloved bobtail cat
Mz Tess just passed. I miss her so much. All Tess's are very special!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Merry
Thank you SO Much! To answer your question, I am moving into the country,and there is an old barn on our land, but when I old, I mean like moses old! (no pun intended) It's still a standing structure but part of the sides are missing, so I couldn't keep Moses in there without him walking right out.

I was trying to figure out a way to kennel him in there so I wouldn't have to worry about the doors of the barn necessarily.. but how to do that as there's no getting near him without him warning me to stay away. I take that seriously! If I could figure out a way to do it where I didn't have to have direct contact to take out his litter and give him food and water... I know there must be some way to do it? (within means I should say) I don't have lots of money. What extra monies I have each month go to taking care of my 3 cats, and I also feed feral colonies. And then there's the new member of my family the 70 lb Puppy I'm to pick up in two weeks!

Today when I went out to give Moses breakfast I put the food down, turned my back and walked toward my back door. He will walk toward the food as long as he sees my behind but not me. As soon as I turn around he will freeze, instantly. Today though I just sat down on the ground indian style, talked to him and used words I knew he knew. After an HOUR he took the ! TWO ! steps needed to get to the food. As he ate I praised him and my two cats came about to see what was going on. They get along just fine with Moses.

I certainly don't think that means he's going to come and jump into my arms come dinner time, but it was my observation that when I'm not standing he seems a lot less afraid. Oh, I'm afraid though the time is just so short now though. Never in my wildest imagination did I think that in nearly a year he would still be frightened of the girl that brings him food twice a day. He's different. Maybe that's why I love him so much.

Well I'm going to take another look at your post. That darn old barn would be so great if it was enclosed somehow. There's even a hay loft, still thick with hay back from the mid 1800's when it was abandoned (the old house burned down and they didn't move back) My family has since built over the old home and left the old barns standing.)

P.S. my username is savingtess because it was a little cat many many years ago that I wasn't able to save. It's been my username/email etc since the internet began. OK, so that made me cry. Thanks again Merry. I'm sorry to hear of your lost. animals touch us in ways that some may never truly understand.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

lost=loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page