Got a Stray and SPRAYING - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Got a Stray and SPRAYING

We brought Gratch into our apartment with our other 3 males about 7 months ago (all are neutered). He was 9 months old at the time (what the vet said) and we got him neutered then. He's very sweet and SUPER cute and we don't want to give him up. His only fault is marking his territory.

So far all we've done is used a spray bottle filled with water to stop him while he's doing it when we see it happen and spray a mixture of water and vinegar on the spots we find or one he just made. I also take him directly to the litter box after and won't let him leave until he pees in it and he always does (I'm not mean, I just speak to him softly saying, "come on, go pee pee." Then I praise him afterward, well like you would a dog actually).

This method just isn't working. I don't know if it's the time of year or what cause he's started doing it more frequently within the past week. Are there any sprays out there that will actually work? Is there something else I should be doing?

Edit: Yes he is actually spraying, not peeing.

Gratch!

He likes getting mohawks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Got a Stray and SPRAYING

Well the question is, is he actually spraying, or is he just peeing? Does he actually do that funny backing up with his tail up to spray, or does he squat like he is about to pee? Because if he is just peeing, it could be a urinary health issue, like a UTI or crystals. If that is the case, you need to take him to the vet and they need to do a urinalysis to determine if there is anything wrong.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I've been raising cats for years. He's spraying. He sniffs and turns his butt and his tail twitches and he's left some pee.

We'll stop him and not even 10 minutes later he tries again somewhere else.

And when I put him in the litter box, that's the only time he squats to pee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Premier Cat

http://hermitagecats.org/?page_id=106

THE HERMITAGE CAT SHELTER
PIDDLE PROGRAM
The Hermitage Cat Shelter has started adopting out cats who donít always go inside the box. They have developed the Piddle Program for those kitties who need a little help in being reintroduced to their litter boxes. They have had 100% success with this program so far.

I talked with the director of this shelter and these were cats that were doomed to live their lives out at the shelter. This has been a miracle program for them, to get them homes. I hope this helps you too.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm sorry but that is not a program that Gratch or any of my future cats will be doing. Thanks anyway.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Premier Cat

I wouldnt suggest using a spray bottle thinking that will stop him. Im sure he just thinks your being agressive with him. Its a negative reinforcement and doesnt show him what you want from him. You need things that are possitive, like cat attract litter so he will use a cat box. Feliway and Bach essences to calm him and bring him into a different state of mind. He is a very sweet looking guy. Handsome!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

So the point of the cat attract litter is to get him to want to mark the litter box instead? Cause that's what spraying is mainly for, to mark their territory. Honestly I don't think it will help the behavior.

After reading more on spraying, it just seems like this cat in particular doesn't like something in the house (supposedly but I don't believe that animals are capable of abstract thought). He's been here for 7 months and there aren't any new cats or any new furniture or any changes for that matter. If he's starting to think that there are too many cats in the house suddenly, well then that's too bad cause I'm not down sizing for him.

I will continue to use the spray bottle because its more effective at ending the behavior right away rather than clapping ones hands or physically moving them. We also use the spray bottle for when they are doing any other unwanted behavior so its not like he's the only kitty who gets a little squirt of water. It's one of the few forms of negative reinforcement I use. But I also use positive reinforcement such as praising when he does something good or using the litter box without me putting him in it. And the only time I put him in the litter box is when I see him try to spray on something. He usually uses it just fine on his own.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Tom Cat

The only other thing I can think of that could help, is maybe try getting another litter box. How many cats do you have? And how many litter boxes do you have? The general rule is 1 box per cat plus 1 extra. Also, some cats like really big litter boxes, I have the extra giant ones, two are covered and one isnt. Investing in another litter box is cheap, so I would give that a try, and if he sprays in the same general area each time, try putting it there for a bit and see if that changes anything. What kind of litter do you use? Maybe he doesn't like it if it has a strong scent or something? I use the corn based litter called World's Best, but I used to use the Fresh4Life clay litter. My cats both don't like litters that have scent. Hope this gives you some ideas, good luck!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I want to get another litter box but my boyfriend doesn't want litter boxes all over the house so they are only in 2 areas of the house but may only be in one area of the house if we get another roommate within the next month. Isn't it best for the litter boxes to be in different areas of the house (we only have a 2 bedroom apartment)? We have 4 cats and 4 litter boxes. None are covered because I have 2 cats who refuse to go in covered litter boxes.

I'll suggest another litter box to him again to see what he thinks.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I have three litter boxes now for three cats, and when I had four cats. That's plenty in my house. They mainly only use two of them, the third is the twins' bedroom and they only use that one when they go to bed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page