'outdoor' cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat

'outdoor' cat.

Ok, there is a cat in town. I call him mocha. We thought he was feral, so we let him come in for a few hours to warm up, gave him food. etc. The next day, he was at our door. We knock of several people's houses. It's not theirs, so we knock on an apartment door. No suprise it was their 'outdoor' cat. Now, I saw the 'owner' a little while ago, she said the cat is 'sort of' theirs. That she used to be their cat, but she stopped using the litter box. So they put her outside. But I don't think they feed her or anything, I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions? I don't know if they feed her or not, and I can't call the spca if they do, But I don't know what to do??? Next time I see her, I should ask the 'owner' is they feed her. But until then?

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Premier Cat

Re: 'outdoor' cat.

What do you want to do?
If you would like to take over the care of this cat, approach the 'owners' about it. Even if you don't want to take Mocha in, you could use that as an opportunity to let them know their cat is coming to your house and expecting you to do *something* for her and you can ask the 'owners' if they are feeding her regularly or if they aren't, because if they aren't .... then *she* will go looking for a reliable food source.
We always fed our outdoor cats *very* well and they rarely strayed off our rural acreage.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He hasn't come in since winter(No need, it's been warm). But, I have fed him since then, JIC. I would like to approach the owners about 'their' cat, I have several questions.

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Premier Cat

Cats who dont use their litter boxes have reasons. Every feral Ive had to keep for an extended period of time because of medical issues used their litter box. Ive never had a cat who wouldnt. so there is solvable reasons he quit going in the litter box. It may have been a reason they could of solved. I think it is a good idea to get more of a history from them. If you take him to a shelter its highly likely he will be put down. No one wants a cat that doesnt use its litter box. Shelters are stressful and dont/ wont have the time to solve problems like this.

There are lots of solutions for cats who start going out side their litter box. Dont give up on this guy. Feed him every day and give him affection. I think the people are heartless jack ***** for dumping a cat like that without finding a solution. They dont deserve to call it their cat. I so glad you are taking an interest in him to make his life better. Keep us posted.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I have decided I am going to start feeding him again. I think I might talk to the 'owners', about her history, And if they would mind if I found a home for him. They don't deserve to call her 'theirs', and Even if they say not to, I might find him a home. I wish I could take him in, but I can't, I can't afford another cat. And I don't want to get in over my head or anything.

Wish me luck, I havent seen her in a while(the cat), but I know she's around.

ETA: What is the best kind of dry food thats not too expensive? I have thinking of mixing mid quality food with high quality food(like dry). I would also put some canned out.

I am not worried about meat, right now I think he lives off mice. I just don't want him to starve!

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Premier Cat

Feral cat which have to resort to hunting are not in good health. Wet food would be the best to feed him. Fancy Feast is a crap food but of all the food in that range FF is the best choice. Or if dry food is a better choice for you a good medium range cat food is Chicken Soup. Or Pro Plan from Petsmart. I think it would be happy to get consistant meal of what ever is in your budget.

Is this cat spayed/neutered with shots?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I don't think she's spayed, But I am just about certain she doesn't have her shots.

Is merrick B.G dry good? It will be fed with canned food(I don't know what kind). If I feed it.

I will be going to get some food soon, untill then it will be a little bit of whiskas, and some wellness CORE.

I guess I don't know what I will feed until I go shopping.

ETA: I didn't see her, but if the food is gone tomorrow. I will assume she ate it. It was about 1/4 cup whiskas. and almost 1/4 cup wellness CORE.

Is that a good meal for now? I can only keep up the wellness CORE until this little one runs out, It is way too expensive(I use it as a treat for nibbles) for me to keep buying. But, it will have to do for now. When my wellness runs out, I will go buy some new food(Or whenever I can go to a pet valu, whichever comes first).

I don't want to feed her crap, but. I don't want to spend like $100 a month either. I'm thinking BG or plain merrick or maybe solid gold(I want to feed high quality dry, with ok quality wet, I think that will be the most nutrtitionaly balanced).

Here is what I would plan to feed(daily):

1/4 cup high quality dry(
1/4-1/2-1 can of okay quality canned.

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbler
I don't want to feed her crap, but I don't want to spend like $100 a month either.
I don't think you'll have to worry about spending $100/mo on food. I feed 8 cats and in a month I spend about $70 on food. Divided by 8 that comes to about $9/mo/cat.
h =^..^=

$40 dry Innova (free choice)
$15 canned Friskies (small cans, 1x/dy)
$15 canned Innova EVO (large cans 2/wk ~ 7/mo)
$70

*can you get her vaccinated and spayed? This will prevent pregnancies and becoming overrun with kittens/cats. With a little searching you should be able to locate low cost spay/neuter places or find organizations that would assist you.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I will check in on the spay thing, thanks!

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Nibbler, here are some organizations that help with inexpensive spaying and neutering. Good luck, and thank you for taking care of this cat!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9178

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

There are some very helpful stickies at the top of this forum! I wish you the best.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page