How do I keep feral cats away? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

How do I keep feral cats away?

I need some help and this was the best result when I googled cat forum. Some of this might sound crazy but I promise it's all real!

I live with someone who feeds about 7 or 8 feral cats every morning, afternoon and evening and long story short these cats are pretty much ruining my life and I'd like to find a way to keep them away from the house. The biggest problem is that the woman feeding them isn't all there mentally and there NO WAY she'll listen to reason, she puts the happiness of those cats above everyone else. I'm desperate to find some way to keep them away from this house without hurting them that she wont be able to detect. Capturing and relocating them isn't an option either. All I can think of is putting something in the food they wont like every morning and evening until they stop coming.

I know this might seem mean but these cats are honestly making my life horrible and I just want to deal with the problem in the most humane way. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: How do I keep feral cats away?

I'm sorry. I don't understand how her caring for those cats could ruin your life. It brings her joy, and preserves life. The only thing better would be to get thesecats spayed and neutered. There are organization that will help, and I'll list them for you.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40605

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I'm sorry. I don't understand how her caring for those cats could ruin your life. It brings her joy, and preserves life. The only thing better would be to get thesecats spayed and neutered. There are organization that will help, and I'll list them for you.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40605
They are spayed and neutered. I have to disagree with you though. For me anything keeping them around would not be better. The ideal outcome would be them not coming around anymore without being harmed. This woman cares about the cats too much to an unhealthy, obsessive level where it begins having negative effects on the human beings living here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Premier Cat

What's obsessive to one is joy to another. Would you mind telling me how it affects you?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome to CatForum and I hope we can help. First, we need more information before we can think of ways to help. I truly do not think it is fair to make the cats suffer by making the food they expect to eat taste nasty when they have been conditioned to find food at this location. You would not like to be served food you've known in the past to smell/taste good and have it presented before you and be unpalatable. I don't think it would be fair to do this to cats who are annoying you through no fault of their own and I come to The Big Question:

Exactly how are these cats ruining your life?

Please pardon me for saying so, but reading-between-the-lines, is this because the person feeding them is devoting themselves to these cats and not the people under her care? If this is the issue, this isn't a problem from the cats' end ... it is a mental issue for that person feeding them while ignoring her familial responsibilities and obligations ... and unless/until that is addressed and remedied, you will experience problems with that person and their particular problem right now is devoting themselves in an unhealthy manner to the cats.

If the problem is one of the cats hanging around and making nuisances of themselves, perhaps the feeding station can be moved further from the home.

One last thing, if these cats are spayed/neutered then I feel they can't be feral.
Are they neighborhood kitties coming for the free buffet and have homes of their own?
Are they abandoned housepets who don't have hunting skills to be able to survive on their own and need this food, having reverted out of self-preservation to feral tendencies?

It sounds like a difficult situation and I hope we can help you find solutions.
heidi =^..^=

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
If the problem is one of the cats hanging around and making nuisances of themselves, perhaps the feeding station can be moved further from the home.
You hit the nail on the head with this line. I have no problem with the cats themselves just with them constantly being around and leaving gifts of dead animal carcasses on the lawn. All are feral cats that have no homes but keep coming to this house to eat because she puts food out. There's other things that happen as a result of them being around that just drive me up a wall but I don't want to get into too many personal problems.

Like I said there's *no* hope of ever reasoning with the woman doing it and I can't make her stop. If I suggested moving the food bowls she would probably flip out, lol. They may have been conditioned to come here for food but in the end I live here and they don't. Things would be much better if they found another house to eat from and considering I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles that wouldn't be hard to find.

It kind of seems like a hopeless situation for me. I wont do anything that would be harmful to them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Premier Cat

Is this your home? If she owns it, she can do as she pleases. I never had that problem when I had four cats. Of course, unless she has advanced senility, mental illness, or Alzheimer's, perhaps you could come to some sort of agreement.

The most I ever found was feathers and a dead bird. One brought in a chipmunk, and we caught it and released it. (That was twice in about 15 years.) I'm sorry I can't be of any help. I would feed the feral cats too. That's what this particular forum is about, caring for strays and ferals. But compromise is a great thing!

Jeanie

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Cat Addict

If feral cats stopping by is ruining your life I think you have issues that won't be solved by the cat's going away.

I'll be right over there in the corner.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Premier Cat

Im trying to pin point what you think is ruining your life.

Lots of people I know and the Trap/neuter/return group Im a part of supports feral colonies. If cats are healthy, well fed, and have places to safely sleep and interact with each other there shouldnt be a problem. Rarely do they hunt if they are well fed. True ferals are illusive and quiet.

Im perplexed if you think a cat colony could ruin your life. Most of us find having ferals are a wonderful experience. We get to know each cat in the colony. Watch their interactions and happily living with each other.

But I find watching any animal facinating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page