SIX MONTH OLD ITCHY SITUATION (Revised) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

SIX MONTH OLD ITCHY SITUATION (Revised)

My wife and I were feeding a Feral cat who took up residence in our carport closed on two sides. We live in rural Arizona. Last November she gave birth to four kittens. We started feeding them all. They would watch my wife bring food and water and then run to the bowls "when it was safe." Sometime in February, the mother and three siblings disappeared. But this one blond female kitten would wait all alone in the carport for food. She hissed at my wife and I each time we tried to get near her. Eventually, by moving the bowl a little closer to the door each day, we managed to get her to come just inside the door to eat. Then one day, she ate and laid down in a corner. My wife and I just stood there not knowing what to do.

Long story short, she is now an 'indoor-outdoor' cat. A few weeks ago my wife and I noticed these bite marks when we took a shower and they started itching. OMG! Fleas! We've had several Feral cats over the past four years, but none of them ever contracted fleas! Or they were never in the house long enough to 'drop them off.' The problem now is every time she wants to come in the house we not only have to get weeds and burrs off her but spray her with garlic first. She has very long hair. I have ordered Adams Inverted Carpet Spray and ADAMS PLUS SPRAY MIST. Can anyone tell us how we can keep giving her the ability to go out and run around and still have her company when she's inside? She was spayed two weeks ago and has all her shots. She lies down very quietly when we take the weeds, burrs and whatever off her and comb her out. She's only six months old but outside she is a true predator while inside most of the time she purrs like a motor boat. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

A dog will fetch. A cat will think about it and get back to you...maybe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Tom Cat

Re: SIX MONTH OLD ITCHY SITUATION

What exactly are you asking? How to keep her flea free? If that is the question : why not go to the vet and get her revolution? It protects against fleas, ticks, heartworm, and mosquitos and you only put it between their shoulders once a month.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if it sounded confusing, but yes, it's all about fleas. I've read where these "Spot ON" remedies either don't work or only work in a small area of application. Revelation is made by Pfizer and drug companies are not at the top of my list. It seems Advantage is the most prevalent when it comes to only fleas. A comparison video is at http://www.ehow.com/video_4951345_compa ... -cats.html

The stuff I ordered should be here in a few days and if I mist spray the cat under the fur it's supposed to last 210 days. Where they get that number from I have no idea. So far the garlic seems to work fairly good. The other problem is getting the fleas out of the house, supposedly by treating the cat and the house on the same day. Living out here it's impossible to know what they'll bring home but like I mentioned, she's the first one to get fleas. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah, Advantage is good for just fleas, and thats what they sell at petstores. And it is a lot cheaper than the Revolution. But you have to make sure you give the right dose according to weight. But, as she is an outdoor cat, I would personally use the Revolution, and you dont use it all year round, its just from June 1 to Nov 1. But, it's your cat, and the Advantage works good with fleas.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Cat Addict

I know the big drug companies are not at the top of your list, but I would really recommend Revolution, especially since she's indoor/outdoor and will likely be plagued by other nasties such as worms and ticks. Mosquitoes can transmit heartworms which are a health risk for cats too, not just dogs. Roundworms and ear mites are likely for cats who spend a lot of time outdoors. Revolution kills or prevents all of these. You put it on the back of the cat's neck and its absorbed through the skin, so it does treat their entire body. If cost is an issue since its usually a bit pricey at the vet's office, you can get a prescription and order from one of the online pet supply companies.
Fleas also transmit tapeworm. A cat that has fleas is likely to have tapeworm, too. When the tapeworm gets large enough, it'll start shedding segments that look like little grains of rice when dried up. Advantage & Revolution do not treat tapeworm; you'll need a pill from the vet for that.
I tried the natural route once for fleas. Long story short, I spent a bunch of money and time on stuff that would help control the fleas, but never got rid of them. Beware of OTC products as well, many contain harmful ingredients which have caused illness and death. If you do eventually go with a medication, a prescription from the vet is the safest route.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I agree with Nell! Get some Revolution from the vet. And do not use Hartz Mountain products at all. They are dangerous!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Jr. Cat

I also had a little stray who ended up becoming and indoor/outdoor cat. He was sadly hit by a car in the end, but he was living with me and my boyfriend for about five months or so, during one of the hardest winters my state has ever seen.

He still wanted to go outside, even with the ice and snow. He'd actually leap up, dig his claws into this little key holder we have hanging from the front door knob, and hang there, yowling, until we opened the door when he decided it was time to go out. XD And still, through the freezing weather and barren conditions, when he came back inside he gave us fleas.

Advantage worked great for him, but I'd personally recommend using a flea treatment year round, from my experience. Especially if you live somewhere that doesn't get the hardest of winters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silas-Male Ginger Tabby
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all for your knowledgeable replies. I especially feel bad when I hear of an animal getting hit by a car. Fortunately we live on a dirt road and MissChief only ventures through the fence when my wife is exercising on the long driveway.

We are taking her to the vet on Monday for booster shots since she will be staying in a Pet Hotel for five weeks at the end of the month because my wife has business out of town. I am thinking about asking him for a prescription for Revolution but with further research I find it's more for Heart worm than fleas.

This is an off topic question but I noticed many members have great Avatar and Signature pix of their cats. I tried to post an Avatar pic but keep getting the message "Must be between 0 and 10 kib". A 10 kib pic is not even visible when enlarged! I can't find anything on adding a Signature. This is only my second day on the forum and things are quite hectic right now but if anyone can steer me in the right direction for adding pix, I'd be very grateful.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Here are the rules regarding signatures. You can make your own or have a member do it for you, free of charge, of course! Just look in Art and Literature for a volunteer.

Welcome to the forum! With the word "Miss" in your user name, I'm afraid most members will mistake you for a woman. You might want to change that, and add your cat's name to your signature.

Here are the rules concerning both avatars and signatures. All of the avatars you see fall in these guidelines, and they look fine. There must be a glitch somewhere!

Quote:
Signatures

a. Signatures may contain up to five lines (one line being that displayed on a browser opened to 800px width) of text (of small or normal size)
and/or one image, valid combinations include; a single image of no more
than 120px high, 500px wide and 120KB in size. Signatures
containing an image this large may also include one line of small size text.
Signatures containing an image of 30px high may include up to three lines of small size text or two lines of normal size text. Images of 15px height or less may allow up to three lines of normal size text or four lines of small size text.

b. Text sizes should be between 9 and 12 (small and normal). Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.

c. Links are permitted in signatures. Links are included within the text and image limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal. No links are permitted to competing cat websites. No affiliate links are allowed.

d. Users abusing these rules will be warned.

3. Avatars

a. Users are permitted to utilise a gallery avatar or to link to one of their own (subject to previous points on misuse of bandwidth). User defined avatars are to be no larger than 120 pixels square, they may contain some animation (no flashing please), contain no image which attempts to portray the user as having an official status here (e.g. mimiking ranks or copying avatars of team members), may not exceed 10KB in filesize and have a consistently high availability (i.e. links to images on slow servers or those prone to failure may be removed).

b. Avatars are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, etc.

c. Users abusing these rules will be warned and/or may lose their avatar
privileges.
Have fun on the forums!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Jeanie:
Thank you very much for the information about Avatar and Signature and advice about the name (MissChief = female.) I will go over this info as soon as time will allow and make the proper adjustments. In the meantime this forum has been a great help with my flea problem.
BTW, I like the 'saying' in your signature about dogs and cats. I have had many of both and my conclusion is dogs are 'fetchers and guardians' and cats are 'adviser's or else'!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page