First TNR - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat

First TNR

Just caught my first stray cat of the season. My housemate had reported seeing a scrawny black kitty a few days ago, so I set out some food (I hadn't until I had a sign there was a cat, since my only TNR I was caring for lost his life to a car this winter, poor boy). Earlier this evening, I set up a trap with some smelly tuna, knowing it would likely tempt her out.

It worked, she was hungry. I always feel bad for how terrified trapped cats are, but I whisked her into the basement and covered the trap with a sheet after I got a closer look at her. She is so petite. Wasn't as vicious as other trapped cats, so maybe once she calms down, she will be a candidate for adoption! I always have my crossables crossed, because the Wisconsin Humane Society has been really good about making sure any TNR cats are adoptable or not. They'd rather have a cat in their adoption program than on the street, even if they were sterilized.

I've named her Sneak (I name all my TNR kitties on their paperwork when I bring them in for the spay/neuter). The cool thing, is that if they are put in the adoption program, the cats keep the name, so I know to look out for it. Since she was being all sneaky before she was caught, it fits her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Premier Cat

Re: First TNR

YAY! I haven't seen any cats around our property for quite a while. Good job to you and your first TNR of the year.
Little Sneak doesn't know how much her luck has just changed.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

She is definitely a lucky girl! I am hopeful for her getting kept for adoption, since she is much more calm this morning. About to head out for her date with a humane society vet, haha.

I am so glad I was up when she was first caught last night, it is pouring. Since I didn't know it was going to rain, I didn't set up a tarp over the trap, just a sheet. Poor girl would be soaked and even more miserable by now.

Edit: She was kept for adoption! Yaaay! They told me she was really stressed and hiding in her litterbox when I went to pickup my trap, but hopefully good food, caring volunteers, and some helpful feliway will help warm her up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Premier Cat

Wow! Sounds like a wonderful update!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I'm so pleased, and I know you must be thrilled, Stacykins! Thank you for your caring deeds!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Good job! How old do you think this cat or kitten is? Did the vet tell you the age? Do you volunteer at the HS? How exciting for you!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat

They estimated she was about a year old, not very old. I don't volunteer there, just TNR for them.

I am almost certain another cat is out there, because I think I glimpsed him or her slinking behind our shed. I put out another trap tonight, but only succeeded in catching a very angry possum, who I sent on its merry way with the help of a housemate. What I saw earlier was definitely more catlike, not the low shuffling of a possum.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Premier Cat

Wow never caught a possum. Do they get as angry as raccoons? Or just shuffle on when you release them? Hope you catch the elusive kitty soon.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Well, the possum was very hissy/growly until the door was opened, then it took off thankfully. I know raccoons will sometimes stand their ground when released! I had a swiffer sweeper in case the possum needed to be kept at bay, in case it did get all rawry at me!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

And the Swiffer Sweeper would have come in handy if the possum was dusty!

I hope the cat decides to cooperate!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page