Spaying/neutering ferals - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Spaying/neutering ferals

After I trap the ferals and then take them to the clinic, the Humane Society I go to usually gives them back the same day. But they only give the cats back to us when the cat has woken up, usually after a few hours. So I'm wondering if I can just release the cats when I bring them to my neighborhood even though it's not ideal. There is absolutely no way I can bring them into my house. I can keep them on my porch in the trap but bringing them into my house is out of question. It's just impossible (my parents are opposed to me doing this and do not want the cats close to my own cats). Also, is it absolutely necessary that I get the pain medication? I'm very poor, unemployed and in college and it's a huge expense already. Spaying/neutered each cat costs 50 bucks, plus mandatory rabies shot which is 10 bucks and pain medication is 10 bucks. That's almost 100 bucks for each cat and I have almost a dozen ferals to do this to (I am using my school loan money). There's no way the clinic will help me out or give me a discount. Of course if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary then I will get that. I won't, however, get it for the cats that are a little too feral and try to bite me or kill me when I try to give it to them with a syringe. So anyway, back to the question, how do I do this? I know you're suppose to withhold water and food for a few more hours and stuff. Should I just keep the cats in a cage till whatever time they tell me? And I volunteer for this humane society and there's no way in **** they'd be willing to keep the cats longer. It is summer and I'm out of school so I would be willing to watch them but they'd have to be on my porch and in a cage.

Also, I live in Texas, where can I get a humane trap?

Any other information about TNRing would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Spaying/neutering ferals

I purchased my own trap at a home improvement store for about $40 several years ago.

Many animal control offices will let you 'borrow' a trap for a week. Our county 'loans' it to you for $50 and when you return the trap, they return your $50 to you. I really preferred the trap I had borrowed from our county and I didn't find ones like it (at a sporting goods/gun shop) until after I'd already purchased my own. It was very simple and the drop-down door used rings instead of springs to hold the door closed. There is no way a cat can finagle the door open once caught.

IMO, you do not need to buy the pain meds. Pain is the body's way of naturally making the organism take it easy, so it can heal. If you mask that pain, I feel they could harm themselves w/out knowing. As to releasing ... I would wait until they were completely free of the affects of anesthesia. I'd say at least 8-12hrs. They can stay in the trap for that amount of time or you could use a wire dog crate/kennel on your porch.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks! I will get my trap from there too. And I will keep the cats in the trap until the anesthesia wears off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Premier Cat

You know, in thinking about girl-cats, you may want to try to keep them for a few days to really give their abdomen time to heal, and for you to be able to catch any problems with the surgical site before you release them.

Here is a pic of our large dog crate in our living room for a new kitty to be intro'd to our home and cats.
It is large enough to hold a jumbo litterbox, a shelf for 'height' and a cat bed with food/water bowls. I have a sheet and towel draped over it to give the kitty some privacy, so our kitties can't 'surround' him and make him feel nervous. Our kitties have to approach from the front to be visual with him.

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yes I was mostly concerned about the females, I know their surgery is more complicated than the males. Like I said, I must keep them outside of my house in the porch. Don't you think it will be stressful for the cat to be in the cage for a couple of days? And I live in Houston where it can be extremely hot (but then again these cats do live outside anyway). My cage will definitely not be as big as your dog cage but I will try to purchase the biggest cat trap. And maybe keep the female cats in the cage for a day or two.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It would be wise to keep the females confined for a few days. I am concerned about the heat on the porch, however. Do you have a garage where she might be more comfortable?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Unfortunately I live in an apartment. And no one else would be willing to keep this cat in their house. This is the very reason I have been holding off on TNR for almost a year. During the winter, it's too cold here. And during spring and summer, it's too hot. IDK what to do You'd think the "humane" society would help me out just by keeping the cat for a few more days (I have seen their holding room and it's pretty big) but no. They have to follow policy.

Do you think it would be cruel to keep the female cat confined for two to three days in a small cage? I would provide food of course. It does get very hot here, reaches 90 degrees on a normal day (even higher sometimes). IDK what else to do Should I just try to neuter as many males as possible? They recover so quick that I'd probably keep them in the cage for 24 hours.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Premier Cat

Males recover quicker and have less problems than female cats, though problems can arise. Statistically, it is lower for neutering vs spaying since spaying is so 'invasive' into the body cavity.

If your cage is large enough to have room for a bed, litterbox, food and water ... yes, I think it would be fine, especially if you could keep it out of full sun. If you could provide shade for a sunny spot AND a fan to blow air into the confinement area, that would be the very best you could do for these cats. You are correct, they *do* live outdoors in these extreme conditions year round so they are used to it. The only issue is that surgery, anesthesia and stress can make them susceptible ... so the more stressors you can remove, the easier their recovery will be.

If you could make the confinement cage large enough to hold enough food/water and litter for several days so you didn't have to go *into* the cage daily to clean and add food/water, that would help lower the stress of confinement. Try also to keep the confinement area in a relatively 'quiet' place, meaning not a lot of people coming near the cage.

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How long is "several days"? My landlord doesn't like anything to be on the porch (they fine us). They charge 700 dollars deposit for every animal. I don't have that kind of money. They have to be on my porch for a very short period of time (however, I would never just release them when the wound is still fresh). How many days do you guys wait before releasing males and females?

I am going to go out to Petco or Petsmart and buy a dog crate for the cats now. Can you give me a good size? And do you think it's a good idea for me to buy a whole bunch of cat collars so I can know which ones I neutered and which ones I didn't? I need it to keep track, too many black cats - can't tell them apart.

Thanks.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Premier Cat

Length of time on porch to recover: How does 3-5 days sound?

Size of crate: Large enough to house the necessaries and allow the cat enough room to back away from you and feel safe as you clean the litterbox. IF the crate is large enough to be able to place a large quantity of food/water and a jumbo litterbox, you shouldn't need to scoop waste daily and the cat can be left unmolested for several days with just quick checks for recovery condition and food/water monitoring. I'd say a crate for a medium to large sized dog would be sufficient.

Collars: No. Ask the vet to "tip" one ear so you and any cat professional or aficionado can see at a glance which cats have been s/n and which have not. When you trap a 'tipped-ear' you can just release it because you know it has been altered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page