What do you guys feed ferals - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

What do you guys feed ferals

I have a couple of ferals to feed in my neighborhood. I do a mixture of Purina ONE dry food, 9 Lives canned, FF canned, Authority brand and also try to feed Wellness for the majority of the time. FF, Purina and 9 Lives are extremely bad but sometimes I just can't afford Wellness to feed all of them. Now that I'm neutering/spaying them I'll probably stick with cheap Purina ONE dry food bc I'll be broke.

I try to feed wet most of the time because I just think they like that better and it's better for them anyway. However, they're sometimes not around and I'm in a hurry to leave so I just put the wet food in a bowl. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. I don't know if it's good to feed ferals wet food because they're not always around and don't come on time. But they, the 95 degree heat and humidity keeps it warm I guess.

What do you guys feed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: What do you guys feed ferals

I think you are being exceptionally kind to them! I would not leave the canned food out more than an hour in weather that hot. It would probably be better to pick it up after 45 minutes. Some of the brands might not be the best, but there are many cats who have never had anything that good. You are saving lives!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Premier Cat

I fed whatever I had. Usually I fed the cheap grocery store dry catfoods. As they became friendlier and would come up to the house, I offered the better foods my indoor cats are fed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Senior Cat

Wet food:

If you are near a Petsmart they have Sophistacat. The dry is bad but there is one fairly decent flavor of wet food. I think it is Elegant Entree. That specific flavor I have only found in a 5.5 ounce can and a can is $0.38. The first ingrediant is poultry by-products but the second ingrediant is turkey.

Friskies Poultry Platter is also good. The first ingrediant is actual turkey and the second poultry by-products

9LivesŪ Tender Nibbles with Real Chicken & Liver in Gravy - first ingrediant is chicken, second is meat by-products.

That is not at all bad for the price. You just need to check the ingrediants. Of the three I'd choose the Friskies first, Sophistacat second, and 9Lives third. Just pick the cheapest one though as they are all fairly equal.

Cheap Dry Food:

Authority Sensitive Solutions or Authority Kitten - $13.99 for 8 lbs. The Sensitive Solutions comes in a larger bag as well but don't know the price. First Ingrediants are Chicken and Chicken meal or Turkey and Turkey Meal.

Purina Cat Chow Naturals - $14.49 for 14 lbs. The first ingrediant is Chicken Meal.

Or if you can get to a Costco they have their brand, Kirkland. It is $16 for 25 lbs and the first two ingrediants are chicken and chicken meal. It doesn't have corn which is a huge plus.

Both of those I would consider much better than Purina ONE...actually the Purina Naturals is even cheaper besides. Kirkland is probably the best but you'd have to be able to go to a Costco to get that.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Cool Cat

While I want to give the very best to these poor critters, I don't think I'll be able to... at least for a while.
Last bag I bought was premium stuff $28 for 18 lbs, and it's half gone after only a week. Currently I have $20 to last me for the next 5 weeks, and I still have to buy groceries to feed ME!
So I suppose until I can either win the lottery, miraculously lose my disabilities and get a job, or inherit funds, I'll have to buy cheap 'junk' food for them. I guess it's better than nothing, though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Dawn
While I want to give the very best to these poor critters, I don't think I'll be able to... at least for a while.
Last bag I bought was premium stuff $28 for 18 lbs, and it's half gone after only a week. Currently I have $20 to last me for the next 5 weeks, and I still have to buy groceries to feed ME!
So I suppose until I can either win the lottery, miraculously lose my disabilities and get a job, or inherit funds, I'll have to buy cheap 'junk' food for them. I guess it's better than nothing, though.
Can you get to a Costco? Their name brand (Kirkland) dry food is actually very good and really cheap for the quality ($16 for 25 lbs).

While it isn't as cheap Purina Naturals is also still quite good...at least it has meat as the first ingrediant. Petsmart has it at $14 for 14 lbs. I think they have a larger size bag as well but it isn't listed on their site.

If there is a Safeway near you their store brand "Priority" is cheap. I think chicken by-product meal is the first ingrediant which is MUCH better than something like corn.

Meow Mix Indoor Formula is $20 for 16 lbs (according to petfooddirect) and the first ingrediant is chicken by-product meal.

Ask stores if they have any torn or otherwise "unsellable" bags of dry food. A lot of places will give you the bags for really cheap as else it would be tossed.

I know that this is still quite expensive but a lot of the stores here that sell Natura EVO have all of their Natura stuff 50-75% off. I got 24 cans of EVO 95% for $0.40 a piece! I know that their had their dry food marked way down as well.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Senior Cat

Two other things:

Ask stores if they have any dented cans of food and if they would sell them to you for 1/2 price or less.

Smaller stores (not stores like Petsmart but the Mom & Pop stores) get a lot of samples of dry food or at least they do here. Most here will just give you a few grocery bags full of samples for free if you ask nicely and just say you have a lot of cats. These samples are typically of high quality food (Felidae, Taste of the Wild, EVO, Innova, etc). The only downside is that each "pouch" is only about 6 oz of food so you have to cut a lot open. But it is really worth asking!!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Cool Cat

Yeah, I've thought about that. The only problem is that Petco already gives all their damaged/extra stuff to the rescue group I volunteer for. I haven't asked Petsmart, but I'm pretty certain they do the same thing with the group that uses them for adoptions.
No mom-pop stores around here (phone book doesn't list any for 20 miles around)
There is a pet nutrition place a few cities away, but they also give extra stock to my rescue group (we just got well over 3,000 lbs of cat food that they couldn't sell for some reason, and have been using it at the sanctuary. But I don't know if I want that, because now all the cats have bad diarrhea).
I guess I could ask Wal-Mart, but last time I tried to ask for things for charity, they wouldn't. (I wanted shallow cardboard boxes, like the kind the canned catfood is packaged in, to use as temporary litter boxes on adoption days... they said it was too much an inconvenience to save stuff for just one customer, and if I found any on the shelves that they forgot to break down, I could have those).

I don't mean to be a pessimist with excuses for why it can't be done. Like I said, maybe I could ask...but I won't be surprised if I get nothing out of it.

When I run out of "feral food", I'll just take from my indoor cat's supply. Next payday (Aug. 3), maybe I can find a neighbor or one of my sister's friends that might take me to Costco.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Premier Cat

Why couldnt you ask the rescue group you voluteer for if they have any extra food they could give you to feed your ferals? I would think theyd be glad to support your efforts in feeding your colony! If your really broke get free food- there are open bags donated to food banks of cat and dog food. That would be another source too.

We give the caretakers of colonies what ever food is donated to us. Most ferals arent picky!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Cool Cat

Oiy... I really am going to seem a pessimist! The ferals might not be picky, but I am! LOL
The food my rescue group is feeding is JUNK. 90% of the cats have horrible diarrhea (it's practically brown water), and some are even bleeding. We've started giving cranberry stuff (I don't know exactly what it's called... never paid attention to the bottle, I just give it to them) and pumpkin. Only about 5 out of 50 cats still have relatively firm stools.
While I guess it would be better than nothing/starving, I don't know if I could live with getting ferals sick with diarrhea when they already have enough of a hard life as it is.

I'm gonna try Kirkland from Costco. I did some research, and it seems split between people loving it, and some people claiming it gave their cats fatty liver disease... I guess I can try it, and just watch the cats carefully (5 of the 9 ferals will now let me get close (5 feet or so) from them, when they're busy snarfing down food).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page