The Tale Continues...Momma Cat #1 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

The Tale Continues...Momma Cat #1

Well, guess who moved her kittens into the barn! They are probably 6-8 weeks old. But they are so fast! I'm guessing that there are 5 of them, a few are black and the others are brown tabbies. The mother is pregnant for sure (yes, again!).

But catching them is going to be entertaining to say the least. I had no idea a kitten could climb so easily up into a the wall (the hole to get in is 2 or so feet high up from the ground). But they didn't hiss at me so I'm not sure if their mom already taught them to be scared of people or just that the sight of a giant thing coming up to them is just plain scary (I really wonder what they think of us).

So, I'm going to start trying to get them either tonight or tomorrow after school. I would think my best chance at getting them would be to try get them in the humane trap but have the trap stuck open so I could just pull a string and close it on them.

More later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: The Tale Continues...Momma Cat #1

The trap will shut automatically. Be sure to notify the vet before trapping, and have a cover ready. It will keep the kittens more calm. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Premier Cat

With most traps, you can deactivate the trip-plate and set it up to spring only when you tug a string. That is how I caught groups of kittens together in the trap at one time. I set it up and sat nearby, waiting until all the kittens came in for the canned food. I also zip-tied a piece of cardboard to the entrance with a kitten-sized hole to prevent the adult cats from entering the trap. It worked like a charm!
Good luck!
h =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

When I had originally posted this I tried getting the kittens that night. However at that point they had no idea what food was so that didn't work. I couldn't just grab them as they were hiding inside the wall.

The mom moved them out for about a week and they are now back again. They are starting to show some interest in food (finally!) but not nearly enough to want to go into a trap to get it. I am hoping that by next week they will be, but preferably later in the week.

I also saw the father cat last week. He looks like he is lucky to be alive. He is missing at least half of his back leg and is very feral. I really doubt that his leg was surgically removed as they would have nuetered him then as well. His leg has long since healed but I doubt he would be any match for a coyote if it were chasing him. He looks exactly like some of the kittens so I am quite sure that he would have to be the one. There are not many other cats around there.

I wish I could be trying more to get them but it is the last two weeks of school aka time for the teachers to give you all the homework and tests that they can before exams. I can't wait for June 10 @ noon when school is over...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

As a teacher, I can assure you that your teachers' motives are pure. One of the best professors I had gave us a quiz every week...as a favor. That way, when it was time to take a mid-term or final, the information was fresh.
And the last week of school? It's do next to nothing week! You'll have more free time. No homework from most teachers!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I'm mean. According to a certain kitten, I am very mean.

In other words, some certain kitten had a bit of a blonde moment last night (can cats have a blonde moment?). Anyway, it ran up to their plate while I was still putting food on it; I grapped him and put him in the cat carrier I have out there and right now he is in my room eating. According to him the whole food magically appearing when its gone is really cool but the person giving him food must be attacked.

His eyes are green already, so would that make him around 12 weeks old?

I feel so bad for taking him away from his siblings and mom but I didn't think I'd get the chance to get him again.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Cat

Glad you are helping the kittens. Poor mum, though, she must be exhausted and already pregnant again. That's gotta be hard on her body.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Premier Cat

If his eyes are green, he is at least 6 weeks old.

Jeanie

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251
I'm mean. According to a certain kitten, I am very mean.
I feel so bad for taking him away from his siblings and mom but I didn't think I'd get the chance to get him again.
I know how you feel, but with TNR you just gotta do what you gotta do when you can get them because you may not get another chance...

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

He is getting nuetered tomorrow. I am taking him down to the shelter tonight and he will be fixed at NOAH on Sunday. They will give him his vaccines as well, and the shelter taking him down there (to NOAH) will give him flea meds/deworm him. He will also be eartipped.

I'll be picking him back up on Friday (I could sooner, but am gone most of this week). I hope to try start trapping again on Friday *if* the kittens are there that day. Their mom takes them out hunting so I'm never quite sure when they will be around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page