mom cat and grey kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

mom cat and grey kitten

So now its down to Ms.Brindle and her son... little blue

He does not let me go near him. He keeps running off whenever i open the front door to feed them. He only comes out when there are no people around. I really want to catch him and get him adotped out.

Today i gave ms.brindle her dinner(canned cat food). Then for dessert i hand fed her some chicken. She was happy about the chicken. she even came up on my lap. I feel bad for her because she feels shinny. She has food outside for her every day. So why isn't she gaining weight?

Can you tell how old little blue is from this picture?
Again he was born sometime in march/april of 2010

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Re: mom cat and grey kitten

PS...if the pics are to big let me know...and i will post the links instead.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

My guess would be 3 or 4 months.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Premier Cat

Brindle may be skinny due to internal parasites and that kitten is definitely a couple months old. He is fast approaching the age where socialization becomes increasingly difficult. You may need to use a humane trap to catch him and get him to a socialization foster program. If you don't do this soon, it may be too late for him. Many rescues and rehabilitators won't take in older kittens to socialize because of the amount of time it takes to reach the older kittens.
My most challenging fosters were older kittens like him and they absolutely *did* take much longer to socialize than young babies.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you for your replys.

It may come to getting a trap for little blue.

Do you think that the cats can tell when i need them to be here... because they always show up after hours(when the vet and the humane society is closed) or they show up on a day that the vet is closed for the whole day.

Like today would be been a good day to take them,but they didnt show up until after hours.

How would i set up this trap? Where do i get one?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

The Humane Society will usually lend you a humane trap, and explain its use.

I have reviewed your last thread, and it appears that Ms. Brindle has not yet been spayed. She could very well be pregnant or have given birth to another litter. Since her other litter is about 3 months old now, it's almost certain. Mother cats have actually become pregnant within days after giving birth. It's rare, but possible. If she has just given birth, she would look thinner. Please have her checked, and have blue kitten neutered.

Time goes so quickly!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

I borrowed a trap from our county Animal Control. When I realized how many animals I needed to trap, I decided to just buy my own trap and it has come in handy over the years. I've even loaned it to a person I 'met' on a horse forum and to my dentist, so it has definitely been handy. If you borrow or rent a trap, someone there will show you how to operate it. They are usually very simple to set up. I always check how sensitive the spring-mechanism is so I know it will work properly when a cat steps on the trip-plate.

...as for animals 'knowing' what's up ahead of time and doing the complete opposite of what you need... Oh, yeah! Sometimes, it sure seems that way. You could perhaps change that by trying to get them on a 'schedule' by not feeding them when you see them, but putting food out, calling to them and after a set amount of time, bringing the food inside. This will condition them to come around the same time each day. I did that with the kitties I trapped around my out-buildings by putting out food in the AM when I fed and cared for the horse. The cats learned to anticipate and wait for me to show up with the food. That definitely made trapping easier.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I am sorry... please dont be mad at me... I am working hard on gaining ms.brindle's trust. once she fully trusts me then i will be able to get her in a carrier to take her to the vet/huane society.

Right now its after 6pm and she has not shown up all day. I did see smokey though. He came to eat the food,then he left. But no ms.brindle.

Every night i take the food inside because there is a opossium that comes out. he/she eats the food. So i take in the dry food at 9:30pm. Sometimes late at night i peek out the window and i see ms.brindle sittin there. so i would give her some food to eat. Then the following morning she gets the food again.

Once i get ms brindle out..what about little blue? he wont come near me. would he be okay on his own? i see smokey from time to time and it seems like hes doing okay on his own. Maybe when he sees his mom is away..maybe he will hang around and go into a trap or something>?

what do you think?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Premier Cat

I hope so. Both Ms Brindle and Blue are going to reproduce, and their kittens will reproduce, etc., etc. I sincerely hope you catch both and take them for spaying and neutering. I'm sure there is an organization that will help you. I gave you the links, and you can find them at the top of this forum.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page