Another few questions... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Another few questions...

#1: Is this trap alright for a cat? http://cattaxi.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/trap.jpg

#2: Can I put the kitty on raw? Or should I just stick to canned?

#3 This kitty will be put into a large quarentine room for a few weeks before being intro'd to my dog &cat. What should I put in the room?

Thanks in advance!!

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Another few questions...

That's the perfect trap! I've used that one before.

I don't have an answer to the "raw" question, you could post something in our raw section.

The room should have a scratching post, a couple of boxes so she has hiding places, but not hiding places she can get stuck under. I learned that one the hard way. My girls have never liked traditional cat beds. They actually pulled a comforter out of a plastic bag I had it stored in. Some safe toys would be great.

Here are a couple good articles:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... getakitten
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... yournewcat

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks!! I will post #2 in the raw area.

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Nibbler, if I were you, I'd give the kitten a good quality canned food. This is in accordance with my vet's opinion.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I think I will start the little guy out on canned, but I plan to transition him onto raw later on.

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

I have that trap and it works very well. There is a different one I want to get, called a TruCatch, but my Hav-a-Hart works fine and I cannot justify purchasing another trap just because I like it better than the H-a-H trap. Our county animal control uses the TC traps. I like the TruCatch because of their simple and fail-proof design, there are fewer areas for the trap to fail or malfunction.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Premier Cat

I havent been on in awhile so I dont know the background of the cat your trying to catch. I wouldnt hesitate to feed your new cat raw. One of my friends who is one of the foremost expert in raw in this country, Micky Voisard, feeds strictly raw to her dogs and cats. Even the ones she rescues. She has fabulous results. If I were home more and had the $$ Id put my cats on raw.

Vets are usually not savvy when it comes to diet. The subject isnt deeply dealt with in vet school. Its more a matter of conviction or what ever food they are pushing in their practise is what Ive encountered.

When you quarentien your new cat have a place for it to hide. Like a box turned upside down with a door in it to get into. Id have a scratching post, toys, cat tree if possible. the comforter sounds great too that Marie mentioned. I havent found a cat that didnt love snuggling in a comforter! Some cats like heights so if you have a place for it to climb to to survey the area is always nice. Depending on the size of the room. If your putting them in a bathroom obviously the cat tree is out!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat

No, no. It will be in the second largest bedroom of the house. It is fairly large. I will make a cat bed for him out of some old blankets( I love to sew!) A nice home made cat house(hidey house) & a few things to scratch/climb on.

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbler
...will be in the second largest bedroom of the house.
Is the kitty a true feral or a stray/abandoned companion pet? If the kitty is feral, I would try to eliminate access to under the bed or other large furniture. I always like to have access in case of an emergency and having access helps during taming and socialization. ... you don't want to traumatize the cat during the t/s process, the cat needs to have established personal-space, but you do need to push the issue at times to help the kitty learn and get positive socialization results ... and you can't do that if the cat can escape and/or avoid all of your efforts.
Best of luck with the kitty!
h =^..^=

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Premier Cat

Good point Heidi. Ive heard of some of our members put the box springs on the floor so they couldnt hide out under there and not have access to the cat.

The beauty of a box turned upside down with a door for them to hide in and feel safe is you can lift it off of them if you need to get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page