Neighbors dogs attacking cats, what can I do? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Neighbors dogs attacking cats, what can I do?

Hi, Iím really new to all this, so forgive me if Iím not that great at the whole forum thing. I come from a really small town where computers where sort of unheard of and the internet was even more so. Any way just please bear with me. I recently started taking care of a group of cats, roughly 24 give or take. My husband and I live in the city of Rockwood, and none of my neighbors keep their dogs on a leash. I have had to tranquilize a few of the cats to get them to a vet for treatment after my neighborís dogs attacked them. My neighbors will not listen to me about their dogs, and even though they are just Chiwawaís they can do some damage let me tell you. One cat I call Teddy, he had a flap of skin hanging off on his front right leg where one got a hold of him even with stitches and antibiotics it still got badly infected. After that my husband and I built a fenced in 20Ē X 24Ē deck for the catís safety. So they can eat, and stay out of the hot sun. They even have a misting fan and umbrellas out there for them. I have four indoor cat of my own and the idea of them being hurt like that. Well it scares me quite frankly. These outdoor cats consist of feral cats, wild cats, and just strays that got a raw deal in life. I pay to have them neutered, spayed, I have nearly my own pet pharmacy thanks to my Vet, heís been just a wonderful help with us, but my question is, how do I prevent them from being attacked? Iíve called our local humane society, they say call the police, the police say call the humane society. No one will listen to me. I probably sound like a crazy backwater country girl, but I donít want them to suffer, let alone get hurt. My entire back yard is fenced in for the safety of my dogs when they are out side. These cats donít have the luxury of being indoors and pampered but I keep them in good health. I take care of them just as I do my own kitties. I just donít know what else to do. Tonight, one named Sonny was attacked under our deck. He's young, and sweet, I think he's just a stray. But, because of the noise the dogs make some of the cats scare and run but get attacked in the process. Iím afraid they could even kill some of the smaller ones, like one of set of twins, they are only five maybe six months old. They are wild, but so small, I really think they could be killed if something isn't done and soon. If anyone has any advice Iíd love to hear it. Iím tired of feeling like there is nothing I can do except treat the wounds from the aftermath. Thank you to all who take the time to read this and reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Neighbors dogs attacking cats, what can I do?

There must be leash laws where you live. I would suggest taking pictures of all the injuries to document the issue. With that proof, someone has to do something. Right?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

There are, and Iíve called the police about it. I even recited the law to the officer I spoke with, and told him that if nothing else the dogs are running at large. He told me that they canít be considered a nuisance unless they bite a human. Then he asked me if I was bit. I said no, and he said then thereís nothing I can do about it besides their just cats. ďJust cats,Ē I mean really what kind of person says that. I wish I had gotten his name and badge number, but I was so livid at the time I didnít think to. I live in a very rural area. Even though this is considered the city where I live, itís still just a small town. Iíve looked into the dog bite law too, and Iím just at a loss. I donít want his dogs to be hurt either. I have dogs. They are my babies, but my dogs are non aggressive and love my cats and get along with everything even my bird Dante. Though Serenity killed a snake once in my backyard, I was actually grateful because it turned out to be a copper head, and I was working in the garden just a couple feet away. I could have been bit if not for her. I just want these cats to be safe. I know all of them by name and Iíve even thought about writing a book series to tell the tale of their lives. I know I must sound strange but I just love animals and I hate not knowing what to do. If they were hurt or killed and I could have done something to prevent it, I just donít know what Iíd do. Thank you for replying so quickly though. It means a lot to know there are people out there willing to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

You don't sound strange to me at all, or probably to anyone else here.

Just cats. Jerk! Maybe if you starting bringing your neighbor's dogs to the pound and he has to pay to get them back, he'll start keeping him in his own yard. Some people only pay attention when it starts to affect them financially.

Maybe someone else will have better suggestions in the morning.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

The squeeky wheel gets the oil. I would be a real ***** with the police. Ask to speak to someone higher up. Appear in person. Write your paper. I also thought the same thing Marie did. Any time Id see the dogs out unattended Id pick them up and take them to the humane Society. They will be charged to get them back. If not maybe theyd be adopted to a more responsible home. Try showing up in person at the HS and ask for the director and express your concerns and ask for their help. Majority of HS are going to TNR and are supportive of feral cats.

You are a wonderful person to be caring for the community cats ~ ferals~ Id bet some of them arent feral just dumped, once companion, cats struggling to make it. Id provide areas or places for the ferals to escape to. boxes up on tables, ramps to shelves etc.

Its never a good idea to relocate feral cats but when were forced to we make sure there are trees, roof, shelters for them to escape to. We have problems with coyotes and roaming packs of dogs here, which will kill a cat.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

My suggestion would be to catch the loose dogs and have animal control pick them up as a stray. I was told by my local AC that once the animal goes in their truck, the owner cannot recover it w/out paying a fine. If there are leash laws for the area you live, it is up to law enforcement to *uphold and enforce* that law and if you encounter an officer who does not wish to do so, I'd be calling his supervisor or going right to the Sheriff or Police Chief with my complaint.
If you cannot make your property inaccessible to neighborhood dogs and they come onto your property but you cannot catch the dogs, I'd use a paintball gun and try to hit them in the body ONLY if/when the dogs are on your private property. By making a 'safe area' the cats can escape to, that is the best you can do for them to help them stay safe. The only problem is Chihuahuas are small and can fit in most places kitties can. Jumping is what would prevent access to small dogs like Chi's.
I'm sorry, I just don't have any more ideas...
I wish you good luck.
heidi =^..^=

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Today I asked my friends at the Clothes Closet, a small local non profit organization here in town that I volunteer at, to stand out side and watch while my husband went to talk to our neighbor. I wanted to make sure he couldnít claim we were harassing him or that my husband was threatening him. (he likes to make a living trying to sue people) He has agreed that if we build him a tethering system he has easy access to off his back deck, heíll keep them tied up when he lets them out. Iím sick right now, so it wonít be till this weekend but my husband is going to drive me out to Pet Smart, and weíre going to see if they have anything that will work. If not then Iíll design a system, and pick up the supplies at Loweís. Personally I donít think its right that weíll be paying for it, but if heíll use it, Iím willing to do anything. These cats already have a raw deal; I canít stand the idea of them not feeling safe here. We have cat trees out side that lead up to out roof, but around here thatís not always the safest place, we have large birds of prey. While the larger more aggressive cats probably have nothing to fear, the smaller ones do. I have winter houses for them that we set out under the deck every year during the cold season, and while big dogs canít get to them, I never thought about a Chiwawa. I should have since all our neighbors have tiny dogs, but I honestly never did. Chiwawaís just didnít seem that high up on my list of potential threats. I have two of the largest dogs in our neighbor hood, a boxer and a husky mix; neither would hurt another animal, so I really didnít think about a small toy dog being a risk. Right now even as Iím sending this Iím looking at Serenity, our husky mix, sleeping in what I guess would be a cat pile since two of our indoor kitties, Nocturus and Zoie, are sleeping on top of her. They are part of her pack. I guess I just got so used to that I forgot what other dogs could do. I should submit some of my art some time, I love to paint and draw pictures of all these cats. Iíve been working on one a lot lately, we call her Layla. She came to us pregnant we didnít know how far along so we trapped her and turned her loose in what was my studio; itís been cleared and clean now while sheís in there. We thought we had time but four days later she gave birth to five kittens. Our Vet postponed our appointment for her until she was stronger and the kittens where bigger, he didnít want to stress her anymore than she already was. Itís a little over an hours drive to our Vet. Heís not the closest but heís a family friend and I trust him. Unfortunately we had to rush one kitten to him, the runt, he didnít make it, and the Vet confirmed that he was premature and underdeveloped. Heís set an appointment for the others for when they are four weeks. Just to give them a general check up and for the mom. Their appointment will be the middle of next week. I hope they are all given a clean bill of health. Layla is doing much better with our presence, and is even allowing up to pet her and the babies. Iíve been sitting in there and drawing and painting them everyday. We named the four survivors, Shiloh, Freya, Modo, and Uri. And we named the little one who didnít make it, Max. We got a memorial marker for him and buried him in my flower garden. They are so small and precious. How anyone could hurt one or allow one to be harmed Iíll never know. Thank you all for taking the time to read and your responses mean a lot to me. Thank you.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Premier Cat

I would love to see your artwork. You seem to be doing a beautiful thing for the kitties around your home. I do think it is unfair that the neighbor is having you make/buy his tie-outs for his dogs. Perhaps you could work up a contract with him stating if he doesnt' use the things you worked hard to make/buy to tie his dogs when he lets them out for potty-break, he needs to reimburse you for their cost and your time to build?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

That's a really good idea, thank you. My husband said he could get the document notarized at work to make it a binding contract. I never would have thought of that. Again thanks you've been a great help....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Tom Cat

Wow, your neighbor is a complete *******. I can't believe he's ok with his dogs harming other animals. And I can't believe he had the nerve to ask you to not only pay for it, but build it too. Thats just amazing. I fully agree with Heidi. You need to have a formal contract drawn up to protect your investment. You're going to great lengths to ensure the kitties safety, so make sure you ensure a way that he will abide by the agreement. If he doesn't agree to sign, I wouldn't do it.. at that point, you can just have his dogs picked up when they come into your yard.

It's truly a wonderful thing that you and your husband have done for all of the feral and stray cats in your neighborhood. It sounds like you two invest alot of time, money and care into them... its always great to hear stories like this. Thanks for taking such great care of the poor unwanted kitties.

edit/Jeanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page