finally got a trap 7/14 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

finally got a trap 7/14

So today at Tractor Supply i finally got a trap for the cats.

Its not a have a heart trap.. its a different brand..but its the same kind as have a heart. So now all i have to do is figure out a good place to put the trap(should i cover the trap?) and then hope that little blue will go inside the trap first. Then we can take him to the mid monroe vet to be adopted out.

Blue's mom...ms brindle....the vet doesnt think she would be adopted ... so what do you think we should do? I know she needs to be fixed. She is a timid girl. but she lets me pet her and *sometimes..* sometimes pick her up. I can only hold her for a second or so. So im thinking she needs a nice quiet home. With no dogs. Im not sure how old she is though.

Today i started Ms.Brindle on the Nutra-Cal stuff. She really likes it. I put some on her food and she ate it right up. So did blue.

My mom is going to call the Tara van and find out there schedule(i dont know when shes going to call though)..so that we can take ms.brindle to get her fixed. I feel bad putting her back outside in the wild.. she is so skinny though. Once she gets fixed,do you think she will put on weight?
I wish we can take ms.brindle into our home...but we already have 3 cats and 2 dogs. I dont think she would like it inside my house. My dogs bark to much. She needs a quiet home.

I got the kitties some cat milk. At first she wasnt sure what it was..then she was sniffing it..then she was drinking it right away. Blue did not want any. How often should i give her the milk?

Thank you reading this. I like the new look of this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Yes, you should cover the trap, put it in a natural looking spot, perhaps where there are bushes, and put some strong smelling food in the back. You will want to stay where MsBrindle and the kittens will not see you. Let the vet know you're coming with at least one cat or kitten. It's not wise to leave the cat or kitten in the cage, so be prepared to cover the trap and put it in the car and head for the vet asap.

Milk would not be good for Ms. Brindle, since it might give her diarrhea. It's great that she's eating the Nutracal. Ask the vet to recommend a food that puts weight on.

I would have her neutered, fix a nice, safe place for her and encourage her to stay as an outside cat. Of course, an enclosure would be ideal, but a shelter with straw would do. Some people make a little "house" from a cooler...with the top on the bottom, and a hole cut for an entrance.

There are some great ideas here:
https://www.catforum.com/forum/56-fer...eral-cats.html

I'm glad Ms Brindle is beginning to trust you. It's a shame she can't come in, but I understand your situation. Keep us informed, OK?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

TNR is perfectly acceptable, it stands for trap, neuter, release. Ms. Brindle can continue to live in the familiar area she considers "home" and by having her spayed you will have removed a GREAT stress from her body and I believe she *will* put on weight when her hormones aren't governing her behavior and her body isn't being ravaged by the demands of pregnancy, birth and nursing litter after litter of kittens.

You may also find that she becomes more relaxed and friendlier after she is spayed and she may allow you to handle her more and more. Then maybe she could reach a point where she *could* become someone's housepet. It isn't a certainty, but it is definitely a possibility. All of my feral TNRs eventually became our housecats and they all turned out to be fabulous pets.

For the trap, I've done it both ways; covered and uncovered. It will be successful with whatever method the cat feels most comfortable with so you may need to try several variations to find what works best for the particular cat(s) you are trapping.
h =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quick question... can we use color text?

Thank you for your replies.

Just wanted to let you know that yesterday was the very first time that i got to pet blue! He was sitting next to ms brindle .. so i reached over and started to touch blue on his head..and talking softly to him. He was liking the feeling i guess.. hehe

So now i can only touch blue when hes next to his mom.

Im glad to know that ms brindle will put on weight after she gets fixed.

But i feel bad about returning her back outside afterwords. Last winter we had some really bad storms here in ny. Whenever i saw her outside..i felt so sad for her. I have a little house for her. Its on the porch. Right now it has some towels in there. But in the winter it will have a warm bed inside it. I also have a heated water bowl for the winter and a stainless steal bowl for the summer to keep the water cold.

The only thing that bugs me is the bugs that sit on the cat food. Can that make the cats sick? Whenever the cats arent around i take the dry food inside. Then when they come back,i put the food back out for them.

Cat milk isnt good for ms.brindle??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Premier Cat

I found the answer on our own forum, as I wasn't sure. Here it is:

Quote:
Pet Ag is the maker of KMR. They make a suppliment for adult cats called Ensure (like the old people drink). It's alot less expensive then KMR. You can order it from any Pet Supplies "Plus," if they don't already carry it.
https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...dult-cats.html

According to the link, KMR would not be a problem, but the one for adults is less expensive. As for bugs, it's unavoidable. I hate to think of it, but that's nature.

I'm so glad you got to pet Blue! As for Ms. Brindle, make sure you use straw. Bedding gets damp and cold. I wish she could stay in your house.

We are supposed to use black text, except for something special, like wishing a happy birthday.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you for giving me the link on the cat milk.

I took some pics of blue today. Look how much he has grown.. I hope the size of the pics are good. Let me know.

The first picture was taken may 31st. The second picture was taken today 7/15

Last edited by ThreeCatzGirl; 10-08-2012 at 10:32 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Premier Cat

He really has grown! I wish the pictures were a bit bigger.

Jeanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Jeanie,
Click on the pictures and they will get bigger. Thats what i did.

Question... Do you know of a website that shows you how to set a cat trap? I need pictures too. hehe

I got the trap..and it came with intructions.,..but there are no pics..so its hard for us to figure out how to set the trap.

The brand is by Advantek Outdoors Catch and Release Live Animals.

I went on youtube to find a video too... it helps a little bit..but not much.

Thanks.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Premier Cat

Is this what your trap looks like?

If so, it looks similar to my Havahart and I should be able to help walk-you-thru-it.

When the door is down, there is a spring/bar-mechanism in place that prevents the animal from pushing it open and escaping once trapped.
You need to find the mechanism that is holding it in place (usually a part that simply springs out).
To open, you just push in and lift/hold it out of the way to pull the door open. Lift it open as far as it will go, all the way to the top. That spring/bar will fold flat between the door and upper part of the trap. (this *loads* the trap, making that door want to spring closed - keep your fingers safe)
Look for a thin metal bar that is connected to the trip-plate and travels up and to the top of the cage. Where that ends, there should be a little hook, or a bend, and a coordinating place on the trap-door where that hook/bend slips into, simultaneously lifting the trip-plate and readying it for use.

When the trip-plate is stepped on, it moves that metal rod and releases the trap-door which slams closed and locks into place to safely trap the animal.

Last edited by Heidi n Q; 07-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you Heidi...

After i sent that message,i went outside to try to set the trap again. Guess what?.. I got it the trap to open. ... but im not going to set it up this weekend b/c the vet is closed. I'll set it up monday and see how things go.

In the mean time i will work on gaining blue's trust by petting him more and more. Last night i was able to pick him up for a few seconds.. so its a start.. right?

I forgot...yes,thats the kind of trap i have. Your right about the door slamming closed on you. hehe

Last edited by ThreeCatzGirl; 07-16-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page