My first rescue! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My first rescue!

Okay, so I finally caught one of the kittens! Poor guy is so sick, he really doesn't have the energy to run away (I caught him by simply picking him up, while he was eating, and he didn't even squirm). I really wanted to catch a sister to keep him company, but they're perfectly healthy and much more wild.
I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon, because his eyes are goopy and he's sneezing. This morning I taught him to use the litter box... he pooped on the blanket, so I moved it to the litter box and put him in and took a paw and covered the poop. Then a few minutes later he peed and covered it himself!
Right now he's exploring the room, because he was whining so much I let him out of the cage. He seems perfectly tame! Just wandering around, checking things out... he does sort of cower if I come up to him (especially too fast, or don't crouch down first), but he doesn't seem overly scared. He'll sit in my lap and let me pet him for a few moments, but then gets anxious to get down and go exploring again.

I'll try catching sisters again today. I got a trap off E-bay from some company, so I figured it would be better than a used one... but it's a piece of junk. The trigger is VERY sensitive, and the door slams down at any little touch. I'm afraid it'll end up skinning a tail or something. So I'm going to try to rig it up where I pull a string and have the door go down that way, instead.

Agate

Chert, Topaz & Tourmaline to come later... I hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Cat

Aww, good for you to help the little guy. Let us know what the vet says.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm so glad you caught him! He'll have a much better life now.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Premier Cat

Awww, I'm so glad to hear you're helping this little guy. I'll be interested to hear how things go at the vet this afternoon. Are you thinking of keeping him?

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

No, I won't keep him. I already got two cats (Nebbie is kinda-sortta interested in him, Paizly wants nothin' to do with him and constantly hisses (and runs away, if he toddles too close).

I volunteer for a rescue group, and going to put him through adoption with them. They're the ones paying for the vet. I do want to wait a little while after he gets all better, to see if he's really tame, or just being calm now because he's too lethargic for much wildness while sick.

I did name him, but whoever adopts him can change it. I just named all the kittens after pretty rocks! LOL A tomcat who I think is their father, I named Flint... there's another tomcat that looks about the same as Flint and Agate, so he might be a/the father too... but I named him Scraggly, because he looks so scruffy. Mother is a lovely gray with white markings and named Cynthia, which means "Lady of the Moon"... and the moon is kind of a rock! LOL
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Kitten

What a loveable kitty!

You did well!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Jr. Cat

Thank you for helping this sweet baby and I hope you can help the rest of his family! Best of luck.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Premier Cat

Yay for catching the kitten! Keep handling him as much as possible, just flood him with it and make every experience as positive as you can. As he recovers his health, all of this socialization will have been making a positive impression and as he gets better and has more energy he will remember all of the positive things and *shouldn't* revert back to feral behavior.

Check your trap, you may be able to fix it. I loaned mine out and it came back with a hair-trigger. I inspected the mechanism and it appeared that I could only get the barest edge of the bent-wire to slip into the tab that holds the door open and sets the trip-plate. My husband was able to use a pair of pliers and some muscle to bend it just a bit more and it now fits firmly into the tab so it isn't so sensitive and the trip-plate works just fine.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I've tried not to handle him TOO much, because for one thing, he seems independent and would rather go exploring. For another, I figure he's sick and too much manhandling might stress him out... so I've held/petted him a few times, then let him rest (right now he's hiding/sleeping under a corner of a blanket draped over a box of junk I need to organize soon).
When he starts feeling a little better, I'll start playing with him with toys and stuff. Kinda thinking I want to teach him tricks, too...maybe. At least "sit" and "high five" LOL (already teaching Nebbie to sit... when she sits on her own, I say it. Next week I'll start giving her treats if I say it and THEN she does it)

Okay, time to wake him up and go to the vet!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, well you don't really man-handle them, you just show them how nice being handled is with petting, scrubbling, massages and treats; enjoyable things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page