Cages - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cages

HELP! I feel like a well-meaning but totally incompetent mad scientist right now, and I just want to do the right thing.

We have a feral cats who have made our backyard their home. A mama cat always brings her litters to our backyard because my husband insists on feeding them. I put my foot down and insisted we get them fixed if they are going to keep coming around. Then my husband got this bright idea to make a couple of older kittens (maybe 3-4 months old) from the last litter indoor cats. We caught the two kittens last week and had them neutered, and they have stayed in this kennel ever since. The female is doing fine and lets us feed her and pet her, but the male still seems really scared; and I was wondering if what we are keeping them in might be contributing to his fears.

My question is, is this sort of kennel appropriate for trying to socialize feral cats? (picture) If not, what is the best kind of cage for feral kittens?

Last edited by marie73; 08-16-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Please use black print. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Cool Cat

Are they locked in the kennel, or is the kennel simply their bed area? A lot of cats do not like being "trapped" in really small spaces, and it will make them antsy. Other than that, socialization times are different for each cat (or kitten in this case).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think a larger, more open area would be better. Kittens need to play and exercise. I'm glad you're taking care of them! Give them lots of loving attention and interactive play...especially the little boy. Treats and toys will help considerably. Kittens usually come around fairly quickly...with lots of attention.

PS It's important for mother cat to get spayed. I hope there is a low cost spay/neuter organization near you! Here's a link that might help:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden

Last edited by Jeanie; 08-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Forgive my ignorance, but neither my husband nor I have had feral cats so I am going by what I have learned from the internet. (1. Confinement in a cage or carrier. 2. Repeated and brief handling with a protective cloth. 3. Confinement in a small room that is escape proof. 4. Exposure to other humans.)

They were neutered last Wednesday (8/11). I kept them apart until Thursday morning, then put them together in the kennel to give them 2-3 days to 'settle in'. I have started handling the female since she is receptive, but haven't tried with the male since he still hisses and swipes. I planned to let them have free reign of our guest room, which is the only available room we have, starting tomorrow morning (day 6), and I plan to keep the kennel in the room for them to have a bedding area.

Am I on the right track???

Last edited by marie73; 08-16-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: font color
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
PS It's important for mother cat to get spayed. I hope there is a low cost spay/neuter organization near you! Here's a link that might help:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
Thanks for the link. We have a low cost organization nearby that we have used. We will get the mama cat spayed as soon as we can. I think a) she's close to giving birth and/or nursing a new litter or b) something has happened to her because we haven't seen her around in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by marie73; 08-16-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: font color
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Premier Cat

I think the room will be great. If these kittens were new born, the suggestion about handling would be valid. However, these kittens are old enough to handle, and it will help their socialization move along more quickly!

I hope mother kitty is all right.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

Im surprised the kittens havent clawed their way out of that kennel! 12 weeks is our cut off point to decide if we can take a kitten in to socialize. That is not to say an older feral cant be socialized, it just takes longer. Go read thru the Stickies in the feral section of Cat Forum for more tips.

I had posted this a while back but feel you would get a lot of information on how to socialize a feral cat/ kitten from the videos. And it shows their set ups.

The Urban Cat League teaches you how to tame
and socialize feral kittens to make them ready for adoption
into homes instead of life on the streets.

Produced for the Urban Cat League (http://www.urbancatleague.org)
with a Partners in Caring grant from the ASPCA (http://www.aspca.org).

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Tom Cat

Another tip I would like to add is I use soft food as a reward system and it really helps them warm up to you. Be careful how much you give at a time tho as it can cause diarreah. Good luck!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Premier Cat

Merry, those videos are excellent! I would rename them, "Socializing With Love." There's nothing tough about the loving way they are being socialized, only kindness, patience, and love. Excellent! Thank you so much!
I think this would make an excellent sticky!

Jeanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the videos, Merry! I found those online last week, and they gave me the encouragement to agree to try to keep the kittens instead of just releasing them.

Last edited by TX_Kat; 08-23-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page