Stalker & Home Invasion Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Stalker & Home Invasion Cat

Yes, I have one. I have been doing TNR with the feral cats in my neighborhood for a couple years now with great success. One of my Toms, who I call Hannibal (Lecter) because of the violence he uses to protect his territory (yes he's long been neutered), has always been very stand-offish and stayed far from me. He is very large, muscular, and wound up like an eight day clock - Always on High Alert, and really Herky-Jerky if you know what I mean. Anyway, after a couple years of staying clear of me he decides several days ago to come close and check me out. I sat with him for a long time petting him a little, and increasingly more as he got more comfortable with me. This went on for a couple days. Now he will sit outside of my windows - And he always knows what room of the house I am in.... Always! - Constantly crying, singing, yodeling, pleading and screaming for me to come outside and pet him. I come outside and he is on me like some kind of lunatic. I am certain I am the first person to ever touch him.

Starting last night, and continuing into today he is not satisfied with merely serenading me, but has taken to trying to break through the screens in my windows to get into my house. Every time my wife or I come in through the door he fights like crazy to get into the house.

I would let him in but I have two cats that are strictly indoor cats, and although not declawed, they are big cream-puffs and Hannibal would turn them into hamburger. I have seen him attack a couple other Toms and he gives no warning what-so-ever. He just speeds in for the kill.

I really like Hannibal but I am seriously afraid he is going to get into my house. His behavior is so intense and strange I would swear he had rabies except I have kept him current on his vaccines. I have been around cats my whole life and I have never met a cat this intense and focused. It is seriously like something from a Stephen King book.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

*blink-blink* Wow. I think all you could do is try to deter him from being so determined in his efforts. I mean, it sort of defeats the purpose of caring for him and working to get him sociable ... and when he finally *does* 'get it' ... he turns into instant-obsessive-stalker-kitty. Wow! You'd think after 4yrs that he'd be more gradual about changing his behavior instead of the light-switch-effect.
You'll have to walk a fine line ... one of keeping him interested in human contact but also making him keep enough distance for you and your personal cats to be safe and unmolested in your home.
I've never encountered something like this, so I have no clue how to advise you.
Good luck.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

I would change his name from Hannibal to Cujo.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Premier Cat

Have any of your cats met him thru the windows or doors? What is their reaction to him? We had a cat simular to him. He made friends with my cat and my sisters cat and we let him in for short periods of time which grew longer and longer. Now he is in 95% of the time and out 5%. Hes a big mush. But if any cat comes on his territory he is **** on wheels. Sounds simular to your guy. Maybe start slow intros with your kitties ~ baby steps and see how he does.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Have any of your cats met him thru the windows or doors? What is their reaction to him? We had a cat simular to him. He made friends with my cat and my sisters cat and we let him in for short periods of time which grew longer and longer. Now he is in 95% of the time and out 5%. Hes a big mush. But if any cat comes on his territory he is **** on wheels. Sounds simular to your guy. Maybe start slow intros with your kitties ~ baby steps and see how he does.
Yeah, they've met - Trying to fight thru the screen at each other. If I wasn't there to put the window down they'd have that screen gone in like 30 seconds flat. They have been "trash talking" each other for a long time. If he ever got in it would be awful.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

Rats! He sounds like he really wants to come in and live with you but its understandable that it cant work unless he changes his territorial issues. Atleast he is open to your love and attention outside. He may surprise you one day and make another giant leap and accept your kitties... you are so wonderful to be TNRing the kitties in your area.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well I am sorry to say things are going from bad to worse. He is ever more focused on getting into our house certainly to displace my two indoor cats, and so he and I can live happily ever after... It's pretty near a fight every time we come in or out of the house.

The thought of putting him down makes me sick, and I have thought about maybe taking him to a very large national forest and letting him free - But I don't know how well he would do. It is my personal belief that the most cruel thing I could possibly do to him would be to put him in a cage for the rest of his life. After living in the wild that would be like prison, and I would sooner send him over the rainbow bridge.

I am desperate and I need help with this highly loving & affectionate time bomb.

If anyone had a barn that needed a cat he would be perfect - He's fixed and vaccinated, and... did I mention loving and affectionate?

I would make a long road trip to place him - Thanks!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
This is going to sound ridiculous, but it worked for one of our members in the UK a few years ago. Her husband "marked" the perimeter of the house with his urine. The cat never came back! I hope this works!

I so hope he finds a home. He sounds like a lovely cat.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilodon View Post
Well I am sorry to say things are going from bad to worse. He is ever more focused on getting into our house certainly to displace my two indoor cats, and so he and I can live happily ever after... It's pretty near a fight every time we come in or out of the house.

The thought of putting him down makes me sick, and I have thought about maybe taking him to a very large national forest and letting him free - But I don't know how well he would do. It is my personal belief that the most cruel thing I could possibly do to him would be to put him in a cage for the rest of his life. After living in the wild that would be like prison, and I would sooner send him over the rainbow bridge.

I am desperate and I need help with this highly loving & affectionate time bomb.

If anyone had a barn that needed a cat he would be perfect - He's fixed and vaccinated, and... did I mention loving and affectionate?

I would make a long road trip to place him - Thanks!
DO NOT DROP HIM OFF AT A NATIONAL FOREST UNLESS YOUD LIKE TO SEE HIM DIE A SLOW DEATH IN AGONY. This cat has no skills to survive there. He is not a wild animal taught by its mother to hunt and survive.

If you do move this cat to a barn there are ways of doing it. First off the people who own the barn have to agree to feed this cat and provide a place for it to keep warm and escape the winters. Cats CAN NOT survive on mousing. Its a myth. You will need to set up a large kennel and keep him there for a minimum of 4 weeks till it is use to the smells, sounds and activity in the barn. He has to learn this is where he is fed so he will return once he is released. Once you release him you have to understand he only has a 50/50 chance of surviving. Half the cats take off and try to find where they came from and die on the way horrible deaths. Placing a cat in a barn program should always be the last choice.

If I were you Id provide a warm place for him to survive outside at your residence. Feed him but just dont let him in with your cats. Yes he is a pain with his behavior. But cats do change their behavior. Give him a chance.

We have lots of colonies we manage and feed the cats and they co exist with others in the barns just fine. Never euthanize a cat just cuz he is an inconvience at the moment. Like people cats evolve. His behavior today might not be what it is a year from now. Just work with him.

contact your local TNR groups and see if they have a barn available. Put posters up at feed stores asking if someone has a barn that could provide a sweet semi feral cat a home. Put adds in horse magazines, vet offices, at rescues web pages, craig list. Dont give up on this guy. He deserves a chance of a happy life. You the one who can make this happen for him.

Last edited by Mitts & Tess; 08-24-2010 at 03:23 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Cat

I know this is highly frustrating for you, but he sounds like he's so in love with you, and I find that adorable. Definitely don't send him to a barn, forest, or put him down. Like Mitts & Tess said, cats are territorial, and he will probably find his way back to you or (more likely) die trying.

Have you ever heard of herbal remedies for cats? I know that there are some drops you can put in a cat's water to make him calm down, not want to fight, less of a bully, etc. This may allow him to coexist with your cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page