How long? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Smile How long?

How long do you keep your feral cats in there "special room" in your house for?

My mom keeps bugging me to let blue and ms.brindle wonder around the house on there own..

According to my picture files.. I brought Ms.Brindle inside our house on Aug.25th. *A side note* The first time i got to pet ms brindle was april 29th 2010. After that she has enjoyed being petted.

Anyways....I got blue inside on July 19th. We got them both spayed Sept.2nd

So do you guys think its time to let them explore the house on there own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You'll have to do an introduction to your other cats first. They know that there are other cats in the house. You will have to exchange rooms first, so it will be necessary to put Ms Brindle and Blue in a carrier in another room before putting your other cats in their room. It's a gradual process. I would put a drop of vanilla on the back of each cat's neck first. Well, I'll just list the steps that you should take over the next 12-14 days.

1. vanilla
2. Exchange rooms and bedding
3. Prop the door open, but only a wee bit
4. Hang interactive toys from the door
5. Allow them to meet in the same room, but with two in a pen or large carrier.
6. Observe their interaction before the last step.
7. Allow the cats to meet while you observe, but only if you feel confident about step 6. Don't rush the face to face meeting! If they need more time, go back a step.

Good luck! I so hope they do well!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Premier Cat

I think it depends on the cats, regarding how long it takes. I've had kitties that needed several weeks to get acclimated before "proper" face-to-face introductions could be made and I've had quite a few take no time at all, like between 2-5 days. I've even had one who was instantly accepted by all the housecats immediately. I've never heard of that happening, or seen it again, since Reilly came into our lives. It was the darnedest thing. You and your kitties will let you know when the time is right to move forward, just keep an eye out for the signs of the kitties being accepting of everyone and willing to respect personal space w/out issue. I try to keep all interactive experiences positive with praise, petting and/or treats so everyone associates "good things" when they are together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you Jeanie & Heidi for the great tips...but ms.brindle and blue get along with the other cats. I carry them(one at a time)up to my bed room.. they stay there for a few hours...then i bring them back down to the cat room for dinner time... then i leave them in the room for an hour then bring them back up to my bedroom for another few hours..then back down to the cat room for bed time.

I do this from time to time.

So they are used to these 2 rooms. They check out the rest of the house while i am carring them back and fourth. .. its like there taking a mental note of where to go..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That's sounds just fine, then!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Premier Cat

I think that is a great idea, it helps to familiarize the kitties w/ the rest of the home. By the time they *will* be able to explore up-close and on their own, it won't be so scary because they will have seen it before.
I think you're doing a great job w/ them!
h =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page