Need some help...not sure if it's a feral - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Need some help...not sure if it's a feral

So how can one tell if a cat is a feral?

My mom started to see it a few weeks back. It has no collar, but appeared friendly albeit cautious. Winter is coming so she felt sorry for it and wanted to feed it. Our property backs onto a park. Two weeks or so ago she saw it strolling in the park. She went out to try and feed it but was unsuccessful. I tried my best to just let it be cuz I was unsure whether it was someone's outdoor cat or a stray. However, it seemed like it was meant to be. Several hrs after her encounter, she told me about it and I sighed. Then got some food and went outside. It was sitting under my car trunk staring straight at me as I opened the door! The car is situated right in front of the door. It seemed fated.

It looked wary, but not overly frightened as instead of running away totally, it ran over to my neighbor's front yard bush and hid, watching me. I was able to feed it eventually and actually lead it back towards my property. It appeared several days in a row around the same time. I was able to get it inside my porch but alas, I wasn't fast enough to close the door. I also wasn't sure what to do with it. I didn't want to keep it and the local no kill cat rescue couldn't take in anymore new rescues.

After a long time deliberating, I decided the most important thing is to trap it and make sure it has a place to stay and food to eat at least for the winter. I'll eventually decided if I want to keep it or not.

I was worried though cuz it disappeared for several days. It was raining and was a bit colder. However, today I was delighted when my mother told me she drove up the driveway and saw it sitting inside the box that I left for it around the porch! I hope it's there when I get back from work!

Now my questions, I'm unsure if it is indeed a stray or someone's outdoor cat. My sis thought it looked on the thin side and it was very food motivated as I was able to coax it easily with food. When it was inside the porch, it looked like it wanted to be friends with everyone. It came right up to the storm door where Miu was watching. She hissed loudly and making disagreeable noises, but it didn't hiss back. It wasn't frightened off either. It just stood its ground and stared back at her in curiosity. It wasn't frightened off by Rocky the dog barking at it throught the window either. Since it has no collar, I suppose the only way to tell is to catch it and have it scanned for a chip. But wouldn't it be embarrassing if it was indeed someone's outdoor cat? There was a posting in the area for a missing cat, but on closer inspection, the markings are slightly different. Also, the phone number on it is wrong.

My parents don't want me to keep it. I also don't want to because it's been a year after I got Miu and we've finally reached a comfortable norm with her and Rocky. I also got her behavior more or less attuned to be acceptable for the family. I'm concerned that with an addition, the balance would be 'upset' and I need to start over again. My dad was saying I'm taking in more than we can handle (since they help with looking after Rocky and Miu) and also my mom's physical/mental health isn't exactly good. On the other hand, I would like to try and keep another cat since Miu is frequently bored. She wants to play with Rocky but they just don't 'speak' the same language and are also at different stages/ages in life. Miu's a pretty good sport. If she asks to play and I tell her I'm too tired/busy, she just walks offs and leaves me alone. I feel terrible and if I can get another cat who's not too much trouble, then she'll have another same species companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Alpaca, it sounds like a stray to me. It does seem like fate that the cat found your house! The way to find out if the cat has a home is to catch the cat. Use a humane trap, if necessary. You'll soon find out if it's feral! A feral cat will hiss and scratch and yowl while it's inside the trap. And will get worse yet if you try to touch it. I think it's a stray, however.

If the cat does not try to attack, attach a note to a collar and put the collar on the cat, asking that the owners reply the same way. Of course, you're taking a chance that the cat won't come back. Another way is to run an ad in the local newspaper. Give the general area where you have seen the cat, and explain that the owner will have to give a description of their lost cat if they want to claim it.

If it is not claimed or feral, and your parents allow it, you will have to keep the cat in your room and do a slow introduction to the other animals. Here are some instructions that will help, if you're allowed to bring the cat in the house:

Little Big Cat

I hope all works out for the best! Please let us know.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Alpaca, it sounds like a stray to me. It does seem like fate that the cat found your house! The way to find out if the cat has a home is to catch the cat. Use a humane trap, if necessary. You'll soon find out if it's feral! A feral cat will hiss and scratch and yowl while it's inside the trap. And will get worse yet if you try to touch it. I think it's a stray, however.

If the cat does not try to attack, attach a note to a collar and put the collar on the cat, asking that the owners reply the same way. Of course, you're taking a chance that the cat won't come back. Another way is to run an ad in the local newspaper. Give the general area where you have seen the cat, and explain that the owner will have to give a description of their lost cat if they want to claim it.

If it is not claimed or feral, and your parents allow it, you will have to keep the cat in your room and do a slow introduction to the other animals. Here are some instructions that will help, if you're allowed to bring the cat in the house:

Little Big Cat

I hope all works out for the best! Please let us know.
Poor puss. sounds like a stray to me as well.

Some cats can be sort of 1/2 feral. Appear quiet but if you try and touch they will go mental. I've got one like this called Dali. He is a good looking boy but headstrong and my right hand and arm is covered with bites, scars, and stratches. I have had him for around 10 months.

He can be sweet at times, but mostly he is a monster. But....... one I am committed to for life now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Premier Cat

As long as he doesn't bite you, Annie! How kind of you to take care of him. I had a beautiful white cat (a barn kitten) who loved to be petted, but would suddenly lash out and scratch. I just learned not to pet her too long. My son called her "psycho cat." Yet, she was terrified of our resident bully and hid from her. Each is different, just like us.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
The way to find out if the cat has a home is to catch the cat. Use a humane trap, if necessary. You'll soon find out if it's feral! A feral cat will hiss and scratch and yowl while it's inside the trap. And will get worse yet if you try to touch it.
If that were the case, you'd think Nebbie was a feral. Getting her into the carrier, I have to wrestle with her and secure ALL four paws with one hand, while scruffing her neck with the other, and dump her in a carrier that's tipped up vertically. Then once inside, she claws and bites at the door and howls.
Most cats do okay in small spaces, if they're covered with a cloth or in a box or something, as it makes them feel safe. Others, like Nebbie, I guess feel trapped and know they can't have any way to escape if something were to harm them.

Still, I agree you should trap and get a scan for a microchip ID and check local resources to see if it's owned.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
As long as he doesn't bite you, Annie! How kind of you to take care of him. I had a beautiful white cat (a barn kitten) who loved to be petted, but would suddenly lash out and scratch. I just learned not to pet her too long. My son called her "psycho cat." Yet, she was terrified of our resident bully and hid from her. Each is different, just like us.
ha ha
Dali LOVES to bite and scratch AND bunny kick!! He is a terror. But I love him and he is here for keeps. I think there was a reason he turned up at my place - I am sure not many would put up with his aggroness.

I will post some pics. I am sure you will fall in love with him. He is a cheeky monkey and makes me laugh with some of his antics.

I had another feral i tamed called Skitzi - had her for 12 years.

True each is different. I feel sorry for them that they had such a rough start - both abandoned in different ways.

here is Dali (the naughty feral cat) Very spoilt and well cared for

Last edited by Annie99; 10-10-2010 at 06:26 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, still struggling with having the cat trust me and also figuring out what to do with it (not sure if male or female). I guess I named it Halo for now.

My dad is not happy about it. He was still saying how I can't take care of all 3 of my pets totally by myself. I protest because he loves Miu himself and does stuff for her out of his own accord! Anyways, my mom now says she really feels sorry for Halo and wants to try and catch Halo....AND if Halo is worm-free, disease-free...then she says she wants to try keeping him! But she's a bit afraid of my dad so...argh.

I also have some questions again. The no-kill shelter says it would lend me a trap and even help me do all the necessary things such as deworming, neuter/spay etc with its rescue discount. However, I couldn't get a hold of the woman to get the trap this weekend. Anyways, I was planning to try and coax Halo into our enclosed porch. After that ...without a carrier, I'm not sure how I'll be able to get it to the rescue. And the traps, are they really small? Like just the size of the cat? So as soon as I get it trapped, I'll have to take it to the rescue? I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back into the trap if I let it out. My mom and I are worried about Halo because the winter is supposed to be very cold this year. We're still unsure if Halo belongs to someone already. I'm currently feeding twice a day and Halo appears hungry each time.

Here is a pick of Halo:

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, my goodness! He's beautiful! I love Tuxedo cats. I would put food out in the morning, and stand by. I would let the Rescue know-- as soon as you have him trapped... that you will be bringing him in asap.

Here's a video that should help. I'm sure it's large enough. You would have to wear heavy leather gloves and heavy clothes if you get him inside. I think it would be best to take him straight to the shelter or vet for a check up, tests, neutering, and shots.

PS: I would take the sharp lid off the tuna can!

Jeanie

Last edited by Jeanie; 10-10-2010 at 06:53 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for the video.

I think it definitely doesn't have a place to go. We've made a bigger and warmer box for it to sleep in and last night I spied it in there pretty late at night. As well, it was there this morning too. So chances are it had no place to go to.

I've been trying to trap it in my porch or at least have it stay there cuz it's warmer. It'll come in but, Miu frightens it away sometimes. She's not very friendly with it!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

Introducing it to a resident cat takes time and patience! This link will guide you:

Little Big Cat

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page