Trapping inside house? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Trapping inside house?

I've done a kind-hearted, but probably dumb thing. Disco has been coming to the patio door, meowing and staring inside, the last month or so. Whenever I open the door, she runs off of course. Yesterday morning she didn't run, so I put a can of food just inside the doorway to see if she'd come in. Well, she kept looking at it, poked her head in a bit, but didn't actually enter. After having the door open for half an hour with snowing weather, I finally put the food out and gave up.
Well, this morning it worked! (actually, Scraggly also came in, but he ran back out when I shut the door). So now I have Disco inside. But I still can't touch her (she'll let me get a couple inches - sniff my hand/fingers - then darts off a few feet). Soooo...kinda wondering how I'm gonna trap her now! Oiy! The vet said they have an opening on Thursday... sortta wondering if I can get to her by then. She has one sister and a friend (ex-husband's cat I'm tending that's supposed to be kept outside) that's familiar...hoping that might calm her down a bit.
Or I can do what I did with her siblings and distract her with canned food and get her when she's distracted with that... wear gloves, and do a quick "snatch" by scruffing her neck and holding her hip area? That's how I got Agate! But of course, he was also 2 pounds at the time, and Disco's probably 5 or so (she's the biggest of them all).

Sheesh, if my dad finds out I have 5 cats inside right now...
But it's so cold outside! The bird bath is all frozen up, and there's light snow/heavy frost all over the yard. Oh well...I guess I can't save them all *sigh* I put warm water in the biggest bowl, and food in a smaller one, for Scraggly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Can you borrow a humane trap from the Humane Society?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I have one. But not sure if it would work while inside? Besides, the vet secretary just reminded me that I'm not supposed to feed after 9 P.M., and I really don't want to keep the poor kitty in a trap for 12+ hours if I don't need to.

So what I think I'm gonna do, is just wait until Tuesday... let her have a few days to get used to me, then maybe I can actually get her by hand and put her in a carrier right before the appointment. If I have to resort to a trap and holding her overnight, I will...but only as a last resort. I'm too nice for my own good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Tom Cat

you can also try dropping a cloth (blanket, large towel) or a net over the cat... but i see nothing wrong with trapping in the house (Except you will catch the other 4 cats first!)
good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's not advisable to keep the cat in a cage for that length of time. It is better to wait until the cat is hungry, call the vet and tell her to expect you, and then set the trap.

Good luck!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until Tuesday.
She's in my bedroom right now (finally came out of hiding behind the refrigerator), and just finished a "play fight" with her sister... now Nebbie is getting involved! LOL

I want to go to bed, but I think I better watch the playing for a bit. Zinny just got spayed yesterday (pain meds an hour ago), and I want to make sure she doesn't disturb the stitches too much... Disco did a bunny kick at her a while ago while they were tussling, and Zinny cried. But I think she learned her lesson, and isn't being so rough now (except for jumping up on a shelf when Nebbie goes after her!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page