Taming feral kittens story - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Smile Taming feral kittens story

Just wanted to share this story. I grew up in a neighborhood with a feral cat problem. Our family always tamed the cats down, got them spayed/neutered and then fed them outside as long as they would stick around. I got really used to learning how to tame ferals because of this.

Years ago my friend had mentioned she had a feral or stray mother cat and kittens in her neighborhood, and I told her she should try to catch the mother or at least the kittens, otherwise she would have even more kittens later. She had no idea how to do this, so I offered to try to catch them to rehome them. Well, there were only 2 kittens, a boy and a girl, by the time I caught them. They were very feral, so I spent a month or two taming them down and then found a no kill shelter to take them in. I couldn't keep them permanently at that time in my life, but I still think about them regularly and really miss them. They'd be around 6 years old. They sure were little spitfires!

Here they are in the beginning. The little girl (left) was harder to tame. I called them Frick and Frack.

And here they are later on once they had tamed down:

Later:

And later:

Nom de bloom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

You can see the difference in temperament between the early pictures and the later ones! The look on their faces is priceless. You did a great thing to get them tamed and spayed/neutered!

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you! These two I actually did not get fixed, one of the reasons I couldn't keep them (finances). I was completely broke at the time and had a weird living arrangement. I always wonder who adopted them and how they are doing...

Nom de bloom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You gave them a great gift...a longer and happier life! Thank you for caring.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
You can see the difference in temperament between the early pictures and the later ones! The look on their faces is priceless.
WONDERFUL! I also noted the change in their body-language that showed how defensive they were and then how it softened to feeling relaxed and confident after being handled for taming and socialization. Good job!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Jr. Cat

The females kitties in my experience always are the more scared ones than the males.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meow
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
The females kitties in my experience always are the more scared ones than the males.
Oh, that's interesting! I never thought it could be because of their gender. Yes, he was much friendlier than her, even after she was "tame". She was always sort of hesitant, but he was a big lover and always fell asleep on my lap. I'm trying to think if the male cats we tamed growing up were easier, but the majority of them were male anyway (like 80%), so I'm just not sure.

Nom de bloom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page