Feral Cat trapping help needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Feral Cat trapping help needed

Hello All,

I posted a month ago about 2 kittens I wanted to trap in my condo community. I was out of town for about 2 weeks and when I came back, there is only one left.

S/he looks like s/he very afraid of people. I tried to feed him/her twice. The second time about about 2 days ago, and I found out someone already left a big bowl of dry food in under the trees s/he is living. So the plan of using food to get him/her familiar with me does not work. I live in a condo community with about 200 families, I have no clue who fed him/her. My brother said he has seen a few people leaving food for him/her.

Winter is coming, and today is raining. When I went to work this morning, I saw him/her hiding under the roof of a car garage. I wanted to leave my car and pick him/her up, but once I opened my door, s/he ran away, back into the trees.

I want to trap him/her and keep him/her inside. What should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Cat Addict

It's hard to get a cat to enter a trap baited with food if the cat is well fed. You could try wet food; even ferals will usually throw caution to the winds to get at wet food.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope you can trap her! I hope someone adopted the other one. I don't want to think anything else.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I will have to get him/her used to me giving food.
And then I have to rent a trap.
I just hope those other people who are feeding them will take the trap away. I might have to just sit there and wait then.

And then I don't know by the time I trapped him/her, will the vet be opened?
How should I clean him/her?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Cool Cat

How about leaving a note in a plastic bag under the bowl of food? Stick it in a ziplocklock bag so it will stay readable.Explain that you would like to help the kitten, but need to trap him/her. And that means he/she needs to be hungry to encourage the cat to go in the trap.
I have mixed thoughts on putting contact info on the note - too dangerous is my first thought.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

That is a good idea.
Since I am a recent cat owner (for 1 year), I am not sure how the general public think about trapping cats and bring him/her home as a pet.

I will try your method of leaving a note. Thank you!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I wouldn't worry about how the general public feels about it! You will be giving that kitten a much better life than it would have, otherwise.

It's best to put the trap out in the morning, and to inform the vet's office that you are going to do it. If the kitten doesn't go into it, call them and tell them you won't be coming in.

I wish you luck!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

We rented a trap. Put it down and have been waiting for 3 hours. The cat got interested in the trap and walked around it for one hour. Now it left and is sitting at the bench. Wish us luck.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Jr. Cat

Try baiting the trap with tuna fish, sardines or original formula Kentucky fried chicken without the skin. All of these have worked for me. Cats go right into the traps. That's how a four-year-old Tom.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I know someone has been feeding this cat. When we set up the trap, there was a bowl of dry food there. We took that away and place the tray with Fancy Feast tuna in gravy.The cat showed interested in the trap, but did not go it. I guess he is not hungry enough.

We tried to wait there because we do not want people take the trap away, we live in a 200+ family condo. And I do not want people putting food down again. It is already 8:30 pm here. Should we all go home and place the trap again tomorrow morning at 4 am? He should be hungry by then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page