Vet cut off feral cat's ear! No explanation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Vet cut off feral cat's ear! No explanation

I am totally distressed, angry and honestly stunned. I took the four-year-old Tom that I had been trying to trap for three years to a shelter. The shelter took him to a vet in Whitehouse Station NJ after we decided he would not be TNR. I had found a home for him - a woman who was going to socialize him (he's semi-feral and responds to his name Henry) and get him adopted. The shelter sent Henry and his eight-month-old some who I had also trapped to the vet in Whitehouse Station on Friday for neutering, shots, etc.
Went to pick up both cats today. Son went into the car. The shelter worked screamed as she put Henry into the car, "His eat is missing, what happened to his ear"?
He was rushed back inside where the vet tech examined him. No one had any explanation why 3/4 of his ear had been cut off. The vet had not told them. They vet was specifically told NOT TO do ear tipping. The cat is healthy and had no signs of frost-bite etc. The shelter was so astounded that they took PICTURES of Henry.
I am in shock. This is cruelty. Why and how did they cut most of his ear off. The kind woman took him as the poor creature stared out of the carrier at the two of us.
What should I do? The shelter advised me to call the VET - they will too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

That is crazy excessive for a cropped ear as well regardless.

Whats done is done, so I'd just wait and hear their side of the story, but I definitely wouldn't drop the issue either.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

They were told NOT to tip or crop the ear. They mutilated the ear. I will not drop it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Poor little guy.

Hopefully this won't make a bit of difference to the wonderful woman who wants to adopt him.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The woman is the intermediary. She took him nonetheless. I am so so grateful. She will socialize him further and then try to place him. Poor Henry.

I wonder what explanation the vet will give me in the AM
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think it will add to his character and make him even more endearing.

Unless there was something wrong with Henry's ear that wasn't visible to most people, this vet needs 3/4 of something cut off.......

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Cat Addict

About half the ferals (8 or so) that came to live in my managed colony were tipped. Some vets do a terrible, excessive job. They basically mutilate the cat's ear. If I'm the one trapping and transporting the cat to the clinic, I specify No Notching. I make sure they write it down on the form.
I sympathize, I have felt the same outrage.
Why disfigure a beautiful animal?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Does anyone know how I report an abusive vet?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Cool Cat

The local shelter can probably help you file a report with the Veterinary Board for your State. If you don't like what they say, get the local news involved.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Was this vet doing a volunteer shift of TNRs? Not that it would excuse it, but I know here when they do that, they just have them lined up and the staff and volunteers work for 12-14 hours to get them all done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page