We caught a "stray".... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We caught a "stray"....

OK, first real post here. I'm looking for comments on how to proceed.

My wife and i bought a cat for our daughter last year as a birthday present. My daughter (13 now) is doing real well taking care of the animal and she has become the household pet. I guess this is what got my wife and I interested in cats.

For the past month we had been seeing a small cat (really a kitten) hanging near our home. It looked so beat up we were calling it (don't know the sex) Scruffy due to its appearance. We started feeding the cat on a regular basis as the cat would return every day. Over a couple of weeks the cat started getting very healthy looking - and a very attractive cat it is.

As it can get very cold here in Michigan in the Winter, we wondered how the cat would survive and thought about capturing it to bring it to the Humane Society (it's where we got our cat). Just today, we opened the door to our family room with a plate of food. Usually we put the food outside, but this little cat, Scruffy, had been getting closer and closer to our door - becoming more and more comfortable.

With the food inside, Scruffy moved cautiously inside (we were amazed) to get to the food. I slowly closed the door and Scruffy just went ballistic. she tried to jump right through the glass. I was amazed by the desperation to escape. As Scruffy ran back and forth looking for an escape, I grabbed "it". Of course she bit me (but I was wearing thick leather gloves). While the bite hurt me (just slightly) it didn't puncture any skin (although it feels like a small bruise is there).

My next attempt was successful as I forcefully grabbed Scruffy and put "it" immediately into a cage (the same cage we use to transport our cat to the vet). We then put some food into the cage. Scruffy is looking very calm inside the cage, but extremely alert. I'm sure he/she is very scared.

We plan on taking Scruffy to the Humane Society where they might be able to domesticate the cat and give it a good home.

My question(s) for you other cat people:

Are we crazy for trying this?
Is 4-5 month old cat readily domesticated after being in the wild? Anyone have experience with this?
(Now the paranoid me) - Is it possible to get a disease/rabies from a bite (I did feel it) when the bite doesn't even break the skin and you had thick leather gloves protecting your hands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Jr. Cat

You will not get rabies.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
If the bite penetrated your skin there might be a problem, but a bruise shouldn't need a doctor's attention

It takes patience and time, but this kitten should be able to be socialized. Sometimes, with full grown cats it takes as long as a year, and sometimes adults cannoet be socialized. There are some great videos about this. I'll move this to the feral forum, and give you the links.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked out your HS's website? There may be some that will take them in and work with fosters who tame them, especially if they're kittens. My Humane Society will not accept ferals, and some that do simply put them to sleep.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think it would be best to try to tame these kittens first.

Mitts "n Tess (Merry) posted these great videos:

Produced for the Urban Cat League (http://www.urbancatleague.org)
with a Partners in Caring grant from the ASPCA (http://www.aspca.org).

Why they called these videos "Tough Love," I don't know! There's a bad connotation to that phrase! This approach is gentle and gradual.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Cat

Feral cat and human society will not go together.. they will put the cat down and all your effort you made will go to waste.. i am just wondering why you don't want to keep her, hopefully with your effort and some research you might be able to get her more domestic and then if you still want to give him for adoption.
i have one just like that myself.. total feral that i feed her and after a while i brought her in. it has been 4 years and she is the sweetest thing she can be but still not 100% domestic in certain behaviors but who cares, she is happy and she has a good life.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Taming a feral cat is very time-consuming,takes a great dedication and also costs money. Plus you have to have the space to keep the cat isolated, the meds they may need, etc.

Finding a place that will TNR the cat and maybe getting some advice from members here with experience on how to make an outdoor shelter for the cat for the winter, while trying to work with them and trying to tame them, might be more realistic.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Premier Cat

I TNR, have tamed and socialized for public adoption AND kept many of the adult ferals to become our personal housecats. I would like to comment that our former ferals have been some of our BEST housekitties. Many places (rescues and other organizations) won't spend the time/effort to tame adult ferals as it ties-up their foster resources.

*I* do it because I *have* the time and inclination to do so on my own and I have been successful with every feral animal I have interacted with. The kittens were all adopted and the adults remained as our own cats.

However, I've never tamed an adult feral indoors.
I do think it would be easier, especially if the kitty could have a room of its' own for you to interact safely with it. I do NOT recommend letting *any* cat have the run of the house until it will respond consistently in coming to you so it can be closed into a room when necessary.
All of the adults I tamed on our open back patio where the cat could leave my presence at any time it wished. Every step I made in the socialization process was with complete permission from the feral because it *could* leave. The techniques I use are very similar to Merry's videos from The Urban Cat League. I speak about them in my Kitty Cat Boot Camp but the UCL videos are fabulous because the SHOW you the techniques and how they work.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. If you wish to try to socialize this kitty yourselves I will try to help in any way I can. If you need to take the kitty to a shelter, at least know that the kitty will never have to suffer a cold winter and struggle just to survive, possibly dying a slow or horrible death, unloved and alone.
heidi =^..^=

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

While we plan to bring the kitty to the humane society, note that the Michigan Humane Society has the following policy:

"Once we place an animal up for adoption, there is no time limit in which he or she can remain up for adoption."

And given how docile he/she appears (at least at the moment), I have no doubt that Scruffy will be domesticated and find a good home. Anyway, I will request updates in case their plans change.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Cat Addict

It takes a lot of patience to tame a feral, even one who you've already got indoors. Scruffy needs a room of her own and lots of patience from you. It could take months before she trusts you.
The alternative is to build her a winter shelter, preferably in an outbuilding, and continue to feed her outside. She can survive; there are many ways to help a feral cat get through the winter.
But bringing her to the Humane Society will be the end of Scruffy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page