Any tips for starting a feral cat fund? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Any tips for starting a feral cat fund?

I've decided to try to help with the feral cat problem in my town. TNR is the way to go, and I want to keep them fed and warm. Like so many other people in the US right now, I'm unemployed so I have plenty of time to give but not a lot of cash.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to start a fund like this? I was thinking about all the regular things like putting jars in gas stations, flyers in windows. That type of thing. Maybe even a car wash in the spring. Any other good ideas?

Do I have to make it an official non-profit or can I just go around collecting money from people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Cool Cat

I would suggest making it an official non-profit, simply for legal matters, taxes, and any other issues you may run into after a while. There's an article on how to start charity organizations in a magazine I read the other day. But it's my "bathtime book", so I'll get it tomorrow after my bath and bring it down to the computer and post the info for ya.

You can try a jar. My group tried putting a jar in a coffee shop (one volunteer is good friends with the owner/barista), but we got maybe $10 in a whole week. We also have a jar at the vet we use, and it's got maybe $15 in 6 months of being there. Not much, but I guess every little bit helps.
You could also do fund raisers like bake sales, or sell beaded bracelets, or whatever you can think of. We sold cookie dough from a local company...I think it was $20 for a pound of dough, and we got $15 of it ($5 went to the company for their expenses of supplying it).
Be sure you get any permits needed, for selling stuff! I've heard several stories of KIDS being fined for having lemonade stands without a business license! But hey, that's the world these days...

I don't really get involved in the money part. Like you, I don't work and can't afford to donate to all these things. However, I do go to the sanctuary to clean the place and care for the cats (one cat that needs medicine won't let anybody but me touch her!) about 3 or 4 times a week. Our funds aren't enough to hire paid people, and it seems lots of people don't want to volunteer when it requires physical labor. (lots of times we get people that come and just play around with the kitties, and I end up doing all the chores).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the advice, Vivid Dawn. I figured the jars don't pull in much. You're right though, every little bit counts. The beaded jewelry sounds good because I know how to make wooden beads. They would be easy and cheap for me to make since you can just pick up sticks off the ground. Almost like free money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Cool Cat

Okay, here 'tis. How to start a charity (there's some good tips in the Comments section, too!)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you so much for getting back to me with that link. It has some good information on it that I hadn't thought of or read yet. Seems like a lot of work, but I'm up for it!

Your cookie dough example you posted inspired me to talk to a local restaurant. The manager seemed enthusiastic about coming up with a way for us to work together. Hopefully he'll still be enthusiastic when the time comes.

Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Cool Cat

Good thing I'm behind in my magazine reading, huh? That was from the July issue! LOL

We also wanted to sell pizza, but the only pizza company that really did fundraisers required a HUGE order, and delivered with a semi-truck...and they would only deliver to somewhere we could keep such a load. So be sure whatever you chose, you have proper resources to complete the activity. The cookie dough just needed to be refrigerated, and could be stored in somebody's basement "food storage" fridge and transported by car, so that's why we did that one.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Cat

OOOOOooooo LOVE this thread!

I'd love to start something like this in my town. My awesome neighbor already feeds the ferals and has a hutch to keep them warm on her patio, but I'd like to take it a step further with the TNR. That way, I can stop seeing new kittens every year. Much as I love them, it breaks my heart too much, as I'm sure most if not every person on this thread can understand.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Cool Cat

Yeah, kittens are cute... but so vulnerable in many ways. I was very hesitant to let Zinny back out to the colony last month, as she's still so small (6 months old, barely 4 pounds). When I first caught her, she had pneumonia so bad that the vet shook his head when he listened to her breathe, and I seriously thought he was going to tell me she wouldn't get through it. But she seems to be doing okay, probably only because I feed her and have insulated shelters. Otherwise, I'm not sure she would survive the winter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post

I'd love to start something like this in my town. My awesome neighbor already feeds the ferals and has a hutch to keep them warm on her patio, but I'd like to take it a step further with the TNR. That way, I can stop seeing new kittens every year. Much as I love them, it breaks my heart too much, as I'm sure most if not every person on this thread can understand.
I'm sure you can find somewhere affordable to do the neutering where you are. See if you can get some cash up with your neighbor. Even if you only get one fixed, that's a big help.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post

If anything, the people on the feral section would understand not wanting to see kittens each year. 50% of all kittens born die a horrible death and not make it to adulthood. When you see kittens it means more numbers added to the feral population which all people who do TNR are trying to bring down the numbers. My TNR group was thrilled the first year two of our supported colonies had no kittens! That is a victory.

What is the purpose of you gather money? Is it for spay/neuters, vaccinations, buy traps, build winter homes for ferals, pay for food, meds, or what?

The best thing you could do is gather several of your cat friends who are interested in TNR and organize. Become a 501c3. It makes you legit.

In mid 2006 seven cat loving people got together and orgainized. By 2010 we have done over 850 cats. Vetting and adopting out companion cats we had trapped that had been abandoned. and vetting ferals in supported colonies with caretakers. We supply the food for the caretakers.

Weve run this on a shoe string. But its amazing how much can be accomplished with determined cat lovers. Half the funds raised go to medical issues. Ive had to dig deep in my own pockets at times when funds were low.

Develope a good working relationship with cat savvy vets. Find out where low cost spay/neuter clinics are. Keep your ear to the ground of grants given to these places that give free S/N for ferals. Start writing for grants, sell handmade product on Etsy or at a farmers market. Tap your employed animal loving friends to donate. There is so much you can do to make this work. But it take a group wanting to do this mission of helping ferals. Its always easier to do it with friends who support you and take on part of the work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page