My rescued feral has escaped.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My rescued feral has escaped....

We have had Hurley in our home for 7 weeks. I was feeding him for a month before letting him walk into our apartment one night and closing the door behind him. Since then he has been adjusting fairly well with some setbacks. The other night I gave him a bath because he had diarrea and made a big mess on himself. I had to force him in the water to clean him up and it made him very upset, but I had no other way to clean the mess on his belly.

Anyways, that was two days ago and since then he has been very untrusting. He lowers his head when I come near him as if he has been abused. The last 2 days he has been hiding in a corner, which was not how he has been the last month.

I thought he was in the other end of the apartment and I was moving things to our outdoor shed and he slipped right past me out the door. I started to run after him (foolish) and he sprinted in the woods and I haven't seen him. This was 1 hour ago and now it is dark.

Will he come back?

We are heartbroken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Cool Cat

Aww I'm so sorry - I hope he does come back.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Cool Cat

First thing in the morning, leave canned food out. If there's other cats around, you might want to watch to see when everybody else gets done, then leave more - Harley might come back to eat, as he knows there's food at your house.

While I haven't had a feral that's been inside and then gone, I have had ones that just disappear for a couple weeks. Once a cat had a bad wound on her neck (I was about ready to trap her and taken care of), and I quit seeing her - kinda wondered if she went off to die from infection. Then about a month later, I saw her again with the wound all healed up (even had fur growing over it already). Then recently I thought the mom of older kittens was gone for good after not seeing her since about October, but I just saw her the other day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Premier Cat

IMO, cats who escape do NOT go far. In fact, I actually think your Hurley will be better than most because he escaped into a surviveable area he is already familiar with. I do believe he will remember how 'hard' things were outside and how 'easy' things were inside ... and if you keep offering food I would expect him to return.
*thoughts/prayers for a safe/quick return*

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

It's been 18 hours and no Hurley. It's 20 degrees out with snow right now. I hope he knows his way around out there. Will he ever come back is what I'm starting to wonder. I searched all over the woods behind our complex calling his name and shaking a bowl of food. Still nothing.

Poor guy.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Premier Cat

Keep trying and offering the food. Search at night w/ a flashlight to catch eye-shine. I really do believe they don't go very far and when they get hungry enough ... they REMEMBER where The Good Food was and will return.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The big problem is that we haven't complete gotten this cat to trust us. While in our apartment, he would let us pick him up, but I'm certain outside he would run away if we tried. I am going to have to find a way to lure him back into our apartment I think.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Cool Cat

Zinny was perfectly tame while in my house... the moment I let her back out to the colony, she became totally wild again. She'll hang out nearby while I'm filling food bowls, but I can't touch her anymore.
HOWEVER! She is a sucker for canned food, and has been caught in my humane trap twice (I was trying to catch other cats). So maybe you could get some canned food and set a trap nearby?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Cool Cat

I truly believe hunger will win out, and he'll be back. You have supplied his only nourishment for nearly three months; he'll also remember the comfort and love he had in your home. Right now, he's confused. It might be hard for you to understand, but he's also pleased to be back outside -- on his turf -- even though he was safe and warm inside. He'll be able to withstand the weather; he did it before. But he will get hungry, even if he is hunting. Keep putting food out and he'll get back into the habit of coming for din-din. I wouldn't set a trap yet, because I'd want him to become comfortable again coming around to eat. Be patient and know that he is still unsure of you. Once you're sure he's frequenting your place again, then I'd put the food in a trap for a few days or a week, but I wouldn't 'set' the trap until he's used to it as a feeding station.

Daisy, one of my fosters, slipped out after she had been here only one day. While she hadn't previously been a feral, she was really, really skittish and fearful. Her owner had been sent to prison, and another rescuer and I broke into the house and rescued Daisy and her housemate, Billy Bob (who is also with me as a foster). I didn't even know Daisy's "real" name, and that made it even more difficult calling her. Plus, my home is about 20 miles from her previous abode. I actually thought she would never return. I put out posters, called shelters and vets (though I doubted anyone could catch her), set traps at neighbors' homes, and the local Domino's pizza even attached "wanted posters" to all their delivered pizzas! Daisy was gone for 30 days! In all that time, she had been spotted only once, about half a mile away. Then, she miraculously showed up on the porch steps, noticeably thinner, asking to be let in for food. She hasn't had the urge to run away since then, thank goodness!

Anyway, don't give up. He knows where you are and I just know he'll be back. As often as you can, call him, shake the food bag or bang on the can, because he does know where home and food are!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

over 48 hours and Hurley is still out there in 15 degree weather.

I have gone out in the woods several times and did some intense searching. I fear the worst for the little guy. He is only 8 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page