Big scare for my ferals - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

Big scare for my ferals

The other day my husband wanted to see the cats as they were eating on the front porch. We have double glass doors and he wheeled his walker up to the doors. Well the cats looked at him as if he dropped down from a spacecraft and after some arching and twirling around they took off. It took them 3 days before they came back. They were so scared poor little things. Finally this morning they appeared all feisty and bushy-tailed ready for their morning meal. I was so worried about them but they are fine. I feel so badly for my husband because he's convinced that he was responsible for their leaving. Well all's well that ends well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Awwww, poor hubby!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Premier Cat

Food usually wins out. If he can come watch during most feedings, the kitties will get used to him. Even better would be if he were set up and watching before they arrived so the unusual movement wouldn't be viewed by the kitties. After they've become accustomed to seeing him, then you could work on them growing accustomed to his movement and arriving/departing w/out alarming them.
I feel bad that he thought he was responsible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Cat Addict

When I read the title of this thread I was thinking the worst. I know my feral colony has to beware of coyotes, foxes, fishers, raccoons, stray tom cats and who knows what else.
So when I read that the 'threat' was your husband and his walker I had to smile a little.
Glad they came back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Cool Cat

Tell your hubby it's not HIM they're scared of, just unfamiliar people in general.
I've been feeding my cats for 9 months, and 3/4 of them still run away the instant they notice I'm around. Sometimes if I sit really still, some cats won't notice me when they come to eat, even if they glance to the door...because if I don't move, I must be just part of the furniture like the pool table and floor lamp!
Sometimes if I move very slooowwwly into the view of the window, they still won't bolt - some do pause in eating, but then I stop still and a few moments later they might go back to eating.

My feeding station is directly across from the glass patio door (was double glass, but I put a screen door for one so I could keep it open in the summer and keep my cats in and keep bugs out). Since I can't stand for very long, I have a little folding chair that I keep nearby. After I put out the food, I sit there and watch the kitties - as I said, if I'm already there and sit still, they don't seem to care (well...most. Rune still bolts if ANYthing is different about the patio - inside or out. I'm surprised the magpies and squirrels don't scare him!)

I only sit inside in the winter. In the summer I have a patio rocking chair that I sit in. As I am both a little closer, more noticeable, AND without a barrier, the cats get more cautious. A couple of them will eat, but stay on alert. Some stand off a ways and watch me...and watch the food longingly. Usually if I've already had plenty of fresh air, I'll leave and let the more scared/cautious ones finally get some food.

SO! Tell your hubby that they're just like any other wild animal, and don't trust humans. Though if he does spend enough time around them, some will eventually get used to him. I've heard stories of people eventually being able to pet their ferals... I haven't gotten that far (yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page