During the summer my fiancee, the furkids and I moved into our current apartment. There was a cat hanging out (Sailor Jerry) in the back yard and it took a while for him to warm up to us and he has. Just out of curiosity I often wonder if he is a stray or feral.
- He will run away from most people (especially men) except me, but like I said, that took a while.
- He isn't fixed
- He is like 100% muscle and a big ol' tom cat at that.. now that its winter he put on his layer of fat- immediately- like if he was used to doing it
- He has no front teeth, just fangs and molars
- He has a gorgeous coat, and though it gets dirty a lot, he is pretty attentive as far as cleaning himself (unlike most unneutered cats)
- No one else can touch him but me, again this took a while but now he seeks me out for lovins
- He hunts decently
- He used to only come out at night and then the more he warmed up to us the more that he would come around all the time, even sleeping on our patio. Now that its cold out, he is reverting back to only coming around at night
- He has learned his name and comes when called (My neighbors got a kitten that they had on a leash tied to a pole outside their patio and now it roams the back area, Sailor Jerrys territory. Im not sure if its male or female though the features look masculine, and Im pretty sure its fixed but not positive. It ran into Sailor Jerry while he was relaxing on the patio and of course Jercat (Sailor Jerry's nick name) got mad and chased him. I went out side and Jercat was fighting with it last night and when I called him he stopped and looked at me. I said "C'mon Sailor Jerry lets go eat" and he came trotting over like the other cat had never run into him in the first place)
- He usually eats like if he was raised with raccoons, dipping his paw into his food and eating it off his pad/toe area. He ate like a regular cat when he first started coming around and it seemed like the more comfy he got with us the more he started eating with his paws.
- He is really picky as far as cat food goes. It has to be Friskie's and it has to be sea food flavor. He wont touch any other cat food but he will eat hot dogs, the little weenies in the can, fish, tuna, sardines etc. but he wont eat dog food. He'll eat ferret food sometimes..
- Now that we've spent a significant amount of time together, he will jump into my lap looking for love.
- When he first came around he and my dog, Tequila, didn't get along at all, and Sailor Jerry seemed to relish in Tequila's anger when I spent time with Sailor Jerry. Now, the only time he and Tequila don't get along is when Sailor Jerry jumps on my lap when I'm sittng on the couch (Tequila's bed- hes a very spoiled chihuahua)
- He is afraid of my ferrets (Kahlua and Mojito)
- He doesnt like being in small spaces or being in the house for too long
- He cries by the door when hes been inside a while and has to go to the bathroom
- Every morning in the summer I found him asleep on our patio in our lawn furniture but inside the house the only furniture he will go on is the couch (only if i am in it) and the coffee table (only if his food is up there)
- When he first came around he would only eat after I went inside and left him alone, now I have to sit outside with him or he stops eating.
- He responds well to communication like if he hears something he will stop eatting and I will tell him its ok and to keep eating and he will start again.
- He seems more comfortable/at peace outside than inside
- He is very vocal inside, yet silent outside
- I have tried to play with him using string, cat toys, toy mice, paper- everything and he always gets scared and runs off. He is more the strong silent type. I think this is why he is afraid of the ferrets, they want to play with him so bad.
I worked in a refuge for feral and stray cats and I met "feral" cats (usually younger ones) who warmed up to me after a while when they didnt with the other employees. The other employees lacked compassion for the animals and the entire place was in such a disgusting shape that I reported them to the ASPCA and PETA when I left, w/o two weeks notice. I cried almost every day I worked there while i sat in my car on lunch due to the state the facility was in. It was just aweful. I think those animals were better off when they were in the street. But that is beside the point. Also, I am pegging his age between 2-4 y/o though I am not sure.. So, I was just curious what you all think.. stray or feral? Age range?
When he first started eating while I was outside, the wet spot by his head is the first can he ate, hes working on can #2
Looking at these pics from when he first came, i'd say hes almost doubled in size since then.
Pretty much as soon as he was done eating he sat kinda off to the side like "look at me, i am gracing you with my presence. Don't touch or I'll run"
The first time he ventured into the house.. he was really nervous.
I tried to closethe door and he got super scared and ran for the door, I kept it open and he sat infront of it looking out like he sometimes sits and looks in
I lost my camera so I dont have any newer pics on it, they are on my phone I am sending them to my email now and will post them asap