I need advice about colony asap, pleeease! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I need advice about colony asap, pleeease!

I now have 33 cats, and the colony keeps growing. I hear from neighbors that cats are coming from everywhere because they have it so good where I feed (plenty of food, water, attention, shelter, other cats' company, frequent treats, a few blankets, I defend them from dogs and hostile people). A cat moved here with all her kittens even though she was being fed (on and off, dog's kibble!) by neighbors somewhere else!

I put about 60grs per cat, which is 2kgs a day, 60kgs a month, about 3.5 bags. I've asked for help and looks like I'll be getting 2 bags (36 kgs.) kibble a month (from the 2 people who asked me to take care of the colony a couple months back).

When a new cat comes, I go out of my way to prevent the others from chasing him/her off. Should I let them chase the newcomers off?

I'm waiting for a new TNR session with the municipality - the previous one yielded no results. The cats were hungry, but seemingly not enough to risk going into the cage.

All advice will be very welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Premier Cat

I have no experience with a cat colony and can offer no advice, but perhaps this website will offer you some help.

http://zimmer-foundation.org/art/pdf/08.pdf
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Premier Cat

There is a pecking order in every colony. Id put feeding areas in different locations so food isnt an issue. Are you spay & neutering & vaccinating & ear tipping all the new cats coming in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with Mitts&Tess...make sure there's plenty of different "sections" for groups of cats... especially with 30+! I had 12 last summer, and there were plenty of fights for resources.

Please do try to spay/neuter as many as you can (vaccines would be good too... I would, but haven't got the money for that). Usually colonies get to a certain number, and even out... the reason new cats come in, is there was a vacancy created by another cat either leaving, or getting trapped & re-located or euthanized, or whatever to make a 'vacuum'.

Wow... over 30. My first thought was the Colosseum in Rome... I hear they have a huge colony there of a couple hundred cats!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you all for the advice, and that link is wonderful!

Some of the neutered ones are as aggressively territorial as the unneutered ones.

I can't leave food out because pigeons and a nasty neighbor steal it.

I'll follow your advice and put food in spots distant from each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page