Gonna give one a shot. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Gonna give one a shot.

I've got a couple ferals wondering about my neighborhood. One in particular, though, seems very tame. (Not sure what it's sex is--I tried but didn't get a good look--so for now I'll use the pronoun "it.") It readily comes when called, it lets me pet it, and it isn't easily scared off. I would just take it inside and care for it, but I've already got two of my own. Not only could that throw off the balance between those two--they typically get along fine--I'd have to devote a lot of monetary resources away from them, and I just don't want to do that. So, I've already started the process of contacting local no-kill shelters to see if they have any room for it, starting with the place I adopted my two.

Here is a pic, with some kibble that I just put out. And yes, I need to get a bowl for the food; that gray ceramic bowl is the bird bath--can't put it there!

While I wait for word back, the next thing is to name it. If it's a girl, she'll be Goldilocks. But I don't know about if it's a boy. I can't decide something also color-related, such as "Pumpkin," or if I should go a bit more generic, such as "Steve" or "David" (I'm sure "Thomas" has probably been used a lot).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Cat

you are right, that it is definitely not a feral since it will let you pet it.

maybe just goldie, that would work if it is a boy or a girl?

is there anyone that you know that perhaps would be willing to provide it a good and loving home?

i really hope that you both have a happy end to this story

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you're able to find a spot for *it* in the no-kill shelter. The majority (although not all) orange cats are male. As for a name, just pick something you like for now...whoever adopts him (or her) will likely change the name in any event. For a boy, I like Josh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I came home from work today, and he (yeah, i think it's a "he") greeted me with a pleasant surprise: A collar! Mind you, I've seen this cat around for more than a year, and this is the first I've seen of this. Looks like there is another good samaritan in the neighborhood somewhere!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Premier Cat

Was there a tag on the collar so you could contact the people? that way you could find out if they have S/N him and current on vaccinations since its an outdoor cat.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Tom Cat

Just to be certain I would post signs around the area saying 'Found Cat' and see if it is someones outdoor cat before you take it to a shelter. I say this for their benefit and yours. There are many many cases of cats going to shelters that actually already have a home!

I don't know about the laws where you live, but here it is considered theft of property to trap someones cat and take it to a shelter. I've seen individuals in cases like yours who thought the cat was a stray and brought it to a kill shelter. They had some very very angry owners when they found out where their missing cat was and that it was surrendered as a stray. I hadn't experienced an owner who didn't assume the people that took their cat was cruel and a thief (even though I am sure many where concerned for what appeared to be a cat living on the streets). Just for legal purposes I would recommend pretending like it's a lost cat first and trying to find the owner. That way if it is someone's outdoor cat and they didn't respond to your ads but come looking for their cat at a shelter after you've surrendered it you have proof that you tried to find them before you took action. A shelter can not disclose that it was you who took the cat, but most times other people will witness the trapping and point to you, so it's just better to have yourself covered in case of anything
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Was there a tag on the collar so you could contact the people? that way you could find out if they have S/N him and current on vaccinations since its an outdoor cat.
Curiously, no. Just the collar, nothing more.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Cat Addict

If he's now wearing a collar, I would assume he has an owner.

Some cats just like to visit in the neighborhood, plus you've been feeding him, so you're on his list of rounds.

I would leave this cat alone, personally, unless you can determine without a doubt he has no owner. Sounds like he's doing fine.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Cat

you could always tie a note to his collar and tell his owner where he hangs out..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Well of course I'm not gonna take him in while he has that collar! But hey, works for me and works for him--looks like someone wants to take care of him, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith View Post
you could always tie a note to his collar and tell his owner where he hangs out..
I actually thought of that. Until his collar somehow fell off, that is. If our secret saint buys another one, I just might do that.

Anyway, I'm not going to do anything with him except occasionally put food out until I can make contact with this other person. Good problem, this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page