Group of stray cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Group of stray cats

I named on of the cats at the apt complex me and my mom live at Snowy. She has white fur, and is really pretty. Me and my mom see her (or anouther cat that looks like her) every now and then. Anyway, there is actually what seems to be a group of stray cats that live at the apartment complex. Anyway, do you think they would be safe just living where they are, or if they should be trapped? I know I posted a thread about this a few months ago. Funny thing is my grandmother named her newest dog Snowy.

My cat-Breezy
Shared cat-Katrina (The cat in my avatar)
Breezy-nonSupersonic kitty

Breezy,PI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Cat Addict

They should be trapped, fixed and released.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Cat

If you trap them and take them to the shelter, they might be put down since they're feral. So if they're not in any danger where they are, nobody is complaining about them, and you don't have homes for them already lined up, I'd leave them there.

What you can do though is trap them and get them fixed, then release them back where they came from. Otherwise, they will start to multiply and you'll start to have a problem on your hands. Check with your local shelter. There may be a local group who will help with the trapping and expense. If you're lucky, you might even live in a municipality that has a trap-neuter-release program for ferals and all you have to do is make the call.

Thank you for taking care of the strays. If everyone did what you're doing, we may not have such a problem with strays in this country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamjoy View Post
If you trap them and take them to the shelter, they might be put down since they're feral. So if they're not in any danger where they are, nobody is complaining about them, and you don't have homes for them already lined up, I'd leave them there.

What you can do though is trap them and get them fixed, then release them back where they came from. Otherwise, they will start to multiply and you'll start to have a problem on your hands. Check with your local shelter. There may be a local group who will help with the trapping and expense. If you're lucky, you might even live in a municipality that has a trap-neuter-release program for ferals and all you have to do is make the call.

Thank you for taking care of the strays. If everyone did what you're doing, we may not have such a problem with strays in this country.
Me and my mom actually haven't fed them in a while, but we really should start doing that again. One time, me and my mom were watching two kittens play around. It was so cute!

My cat-Breezy

Breezy,PI
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Cat Addict

If you're serious about helping them, they need to be fixed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

This is probably a bad question but does one have to pay to have stray/feral cats fixed?

My cat-Breezy

Breezy,PI
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Cat Addict

There might be discounts and stuff depending on the orgaization that is bringing them in to get fixed or depending on the place that is fixing them, I would look around online for if your area has a cat sanctuary of some kind you can contact or some TNR people around, and phoning to ask what your local shelter policies are for the spaying & neutering of ferals/strays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Cat

If you don't mind giving us a general idea of where you live, there might be someone on here who would know where to go in your area. Of course I don't mean your street address, just the state or whatever.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Premier Cat

It doesnt say which state you are in. But in Arizona a white cat is a sitting target for preditors. They dont last long. Its nice that you and your mom have brought them food at times. I would really consider feeding and watering them everyday.

If you have TNR groups in your area they can help you trap and know where the best deals are on spaying and neutering them. The most important thing is to get them spayed/neutered and vaccinated before things get out of control with number of kittens being born.

Im in the Tucson Arizona area. My group provides food for the caretakers of the colonies weve TNRed. Right now we have free S/N for ferals. A friend of mine gave the Humane Society a grant for it. Lots of rescues in my area will give vouchers so people who want to s/n their pets can.

Keep us posted!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

New York. Problem is, do you think a coyotes would try to eat the stray cats if they could? The strays have been here for a while though.

My cat-Breezy

Breezy,PI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page