question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

question

We have been feeding & bonding with a semi feral ( abandoned last fall by neighbors) she is very sweet and loving towards us. My question is her kittens that were born sometime the week after Easter, when can I attempt to move them into our garage ( mom eats there daily) so that we can keep mom confined to avoid another litter? I know where the 3 kittens are I do think it will be a chore to get them out of the spot they are in. this is the 2nd time I have found them but have been leery of moving them due to being told that mom may abandon them ...we are not able to bottle feed etc. I hope that after I was near there yesterday and the kittens started to come out after mom came to see me & let me "love on her" a bit she then went back in "calling the babies back to her. I dont know if I should grab them while she is at the house eating and bring them to her or wait until she has them out, or get them while she is there. Not sure what her reaction will be if i try it while she is there...HELP !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Premier Cat

Do you know for sure it's 3 kitties she has? By my reckoning, the kitties are approx. 3 weeks old now, so I would just put them in a box, show momacat the kitties in the box and lead her to your garage. I'm sure she will be happy with that. If she lags behind, keep showing them to her, but don't let her jump in the box before you get them to the garage and close the door, as she'll likely grab a kitten by the scruff of the neck and jump out with it to take it back to her old spot.

It's important to handle the kittens as much as possible to socialize them properly to human contact. The kitties need to be handled, petted, picked up and played with. If they're not handled they can remain "wild" and then it's much more difficult to tame them.

Kitties can be offered kitten cat food (canned) when they're around 4-5 weeks of age, and will likely be weaned by 7-8 weeks. Momacat should eat the kitten food too so she will have lots of milk. Have water available for them to drink (no milk). When kitties are all eating well on their own then you should get momcat spayed. Have a litter tray available that has low sides so that they can climb into it easily (say not taller than 3"). Use ordinary litter, not the clumping kind, as some kitties will eat it and get a bowel blockage. Good luck!

Last edited by catloverami; 05-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

thanks for the reply , getting mama spayed is one thing we definitely have planned ... i will try to get them tonight if i can...I am pretty sure there are only 3 this was the 3rd time i have seen them & it has only been those 3 mama is calico and babies are an orange & white , orange tabby & a grey tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Tom Cat

Just make sure you share pictures of the babies on here so we can all see!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page