The Prodigal Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The Prodigal Cat

These cats are driving me nuts!!!!

Last Wen Squiggy took off as usual on his evening neighborhood patrol. Just came back this afternoon (Mon). Apparently being fixed doesn't stop him from checking out all the neighborhood females. I wish he'd leave a "sticky note" or something. "Gone catin' around, be back in a week". I always go for the worse case scenario like being abducted by aliens who are going to drop him from orbit and see if he lands on his feet. I'm goin' nuts I tell 'ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Hes a ladys man! What do you expect! That is the frustrating part of ferals. When they disappear you assume the worst. Then they show up with the attitude "what, whats the problem". Glad he came home safely!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The saga continues . .

as well as my education on cat behavior.

Squiggy ran off again. I didn't see him for a week and was worried sick. I got up one morning (02:30) and went for a drive around the neighborhood in the slim hope that he was still around. Luck of luck, I found him about 5 blocks away sitting under a pickup. The next day my wife took a walk over to the house (something I would never do) and talked with the homeowner.

It turns out that "Squiggy" has been living at 4 different houses over the past 5 years or so and moves among them as he sees fit. "Squiggy", AKA "Oreo", AKA "Boots". Apparently he's everybodys darling. It's true. You don't own a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Cat Addict

I think that there must be a bitter competition in my neighborhood. I have less and less strays coming to eat at my feeding station. I worry about the ones that disappear, and I miss them terribly. Each and every one is special to me. Where do stray cats go when they don't come for days to eat at my station, or when they suddenly one day never come back? I find some of them around the neighborhood when I go looking, they're not particularly hungry. I feel like a loser.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Cat Addict

In April I had 9 cats in my feral barn colony. Now I have 6. Three decided to move to the nearest neighbor's house, where they have more human contact and just as much food (plentiful) as I was giving them.

Every cat has to find its own space. As long as that includes food, water, shelter and safety, I'm happy for the cat.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Feeding Strays

Depends on the location and such I suppose, but I believe that there are a great many people "out there" who will provide some level of food, shelter, etc to neighborhood cats. Particularly strays who are more comfortable around people. I have 3 feral cats who come twice a day, 1 feral cat that comes around a couple of times a week and 2 stray cats that regularly pass through but rarely stop. They all look good so someone is feeding them at lest.

It's easy to think the worst when they don't come around I know I do, but it's much more likely that they have "moved on" temporarily or permanently for reasons known only to them for the most part.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Cat Addict

I guess someone else missed them during the time they patroned my feeding station... I just miss them so very much...

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Kinda like . .. .

watching one of your kids leave I'm guessing. When I found Squiggy at his old home after he'd been gone a week I was so relieved. Then I wondered "why"? Why'd he leave, what did I do/not do?

Answer: Who really knows.

A mental exercise if you like. I've found that I get some insights into interpersonal relations from my experiences with the cats. And some spiritual guidance as well. All well and good, but to paraphrase "Checkov" from a StarTrek episode "I'll live, but I won't like it". My only consolation in Squiggy's case is that he "seems" happy where he is.

Life's a bitch and then your cat leaves.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Cat Addict

I think the key may be in the relations between the cats. I think they expel each other in subtle ways we don't know. I know I lost many cats, my feeding station became unpopular when I had a problematic cat that attacked all peripheral cats that didn't belong in the territory of the station. I got immediate help but it was too late. She was spayed and I worked on her a lot and now she's a lot less aggressive, but the cats have vetoed my station already.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I thought that I'd become a cat expert

just from watching the cats interact, but no go. Like people, they don't generalize well and, like you said, have their own way of communicating.

And I look at Squiggy's picture (my avatar) and ask myself: "Does this look like a cat who gives a rat's butt about my tender feelings"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page