It begins! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

It begins!

I finally purchased a cat/raccoon-sized Havahart trap yesterday, and I've set it out and baited it! There are four known targets--two ferals, two abandoned. At least one of the abandoned cats is clearly unneutered; the status of the ferals is unknown. I really really really wish I could get the two abandoned cats into no-kill shelters, but everywhere I've called is full.

Biggest thing for me now is--patience. My summer schedule is slower, so this is the perfect time to trap, but I don't have forever. It's raining tonight, and trapping tends to be slower then. Oh, and we have a resident raccoon and possum, and they're bound to set the thing off occasionally.

Despite these minor obstacles, actually getting the procedure won't be a major financial problem: There's a low-cost clinic in town that will do the whole procedure for less than $50, including a rabies shot. However, I have to get 'em in before 9 in the morning. For this and a few other reasons, I'm only going to have the trap set during the early and late evening hours.

Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Cat

Good luck and hopefully they can be rehomed or rehabilitated for pets.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Premier Cat

Is there a waiting list at the no kill shelter that you could get on for the two abandoned cats? Good luck with your trapping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Last night, I baited the trap and caught my first...raccoon. Figured this would happen. Oh well, we'll try again today. BTW, since it's right outside, I heard it go off, so it was in the trap for no more than a couple minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Is there a waiting list at the no kill shelter that you could get on for the two abandoned cats? Good luck with your trapping
Didn't hear of any from the places I called. Do Humane Societies have such a thing? And aren't most of them low-kill shelters?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Premier Cat

Humane Society are mostly kill shelters. There are a few that have become no kill. Check to see which kind is in your area. Poke around for smaller rescues near you. They usually have waiting lists you can get on. It helps if your cats are already vetted. Most small rescues operate on shoe string budgets. Its easier to make room for a cat if he isn't coming in costing the rescue financial resources they operate on.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Got one! It was one of the two abandoned, the one I can clearly tell is unneutered. Here is a recent picture:

I didn't even need the trap for this one; he's tame enough that I could go right to him. So I just picked him up and took him. Neither he nor my two cats quite knew what was going on, though! Anyway, while I wait to take him in tomorrow morning (the spay/neuter clinic only accepts cats from 8 to 9 a.m.), he's in a secure bathroom with food, water, and litter (the water and food are up on a ledge, but he's a jumper and can pretty easily get there). Two doors + one room separate him from my cats, just in case.

I am almost certainly going to have to scrub that bathroom heavily tomorrow after it's all said and done. But my oh my will it all be worth it!

Last edited by toll_booth; 06-29-2011 at 10:50 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Ooooh! I love his markings. He's beautiful.

----------
Renée
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Cat Addict

Good job, nice pretty tabby boy.

The best thing would be to release him where you caught him.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
Good job, nice pretty tabby boy.

The best thing would be to release him where you caught him.
Absolutely. It'd be nice to keep him, but it's just not practical for me.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Premier Cat

Is there a small rescue in your area which could take him. Weve found out cats were once companion animals after the surgery. They even had a tipped ear. they still got adopted even with the tipped ear.

Good job on your TNR. Hes a handsome man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page