Catching Ferals; I'm excited! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Catching Ferals; I'm excited!

So I got a call from one of the rescue leaders for our neighborhood/community. She saw 1 momma cat and 3 kittens down at the other side of the community and was wondering if I still had the cat trap for her to borrow. Unfortunately, I didn't.
We still talked though, and she gave me the address so I could go down and check them out. Turns out there are six of them, Momma, Daddy, and 4 babies. Luckily a kind man down there feeds them, so I left him a bag of food. Now we just have to figure out the best way to catch them since we know as soon as we catch one, the ones will become wary...
Fun stuff!

Next time I go down, I'll take photos
Most likely we will try to put the momma and babies up for adoption since they are friendly enough to be petted by the man.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
zcb
Jr. Cat

Good luck. We trapped Momma Cat and her 5 kittens plus a "friend" all in one fell swoop. Talk about luck. It's just so important for these little guys and gals to be neutered and checked out by a vet. Keep us posted on your progress.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Premier Cat

How old do you think the kittens are? How socialized does the parent act? You might want to start investing in your own traps. Sounds like your going to get more calls like this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

What size traps do you use?
I used to rent the raccoon size havahart trap from my local rental.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

There's a meeting with the rescue lady from out complex, a lady who is experienced in TNR and somebody else. Unfortunately I can't go because I have work. :[

The kittens look to be around 10-11 weeks old. The mom is socialized enough to let the man pick him up for a few seconds, but she's wary of other people.

I don't have the money to buy a bunch of traps unforunetely, but we are borrowing some from the TNR lady.

The only thing I'm worried about is they are talking about how they are upset at the guy because he didn't take the cats to the vet before now because a neighbor said they think the momma cat has been around for 4+ years, but I think there is no point in coming on to him aggressively, because they are on HIS property.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
Good for you! Ive only fostered 1 kitten in my life; a 6 month old one last year
I hope you catch them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page