Yck possums - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

Yck possums

Last night I looked out the front door to see if my two "kids" were sleeping in the boxes I'd set up for them. I saw Momma Cat looking down from the pillar she likes to sit on. She was looking at a possum who was busy nosing through the boxes. I couldn't open the door because I'd set the alarm so I banged on it and the possum took off. I really don't like them because they do carry diseases. The idiot people across the street have a huge family of possums living in their back yard and they won't do anything about them. Anyway I never keep food out at night but I guess it smelled something. Yck I really don't like them at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Tom Cat

My family lives next door to a family of raccoons, a owl who keeps us up with his mating call, and a couple of possums (we live in the city, but we live right next to the city park and have a stretch of wild-ish land for about the length of two blocks behind us). Luckily, we have a Coonhound which will keep them away.

I remember when we moved in the neighbors asked if our dogs were dangerous, and they hoped they 'were nice dogs who wouldn't bother the raccoon and her babies'. My mom, as soon as she shut the door, turned to us and said 'What the heck do you expect dogs to do? These are dogs, raccoons are prey who dig through your trash, honestly!' So I get your frustration with neighbors who don't get how the pets are affected (especially with the prevalence of rabies...).

Have you considered calling animal control?

Last edited by marie73; 07-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

We have a home owners association and I was told to talk to the neighbor about the possums. I tried and he was very rude. I called animal control and was told that since the possums are in the man's back yard the animal control people can't go in with out his permission and he won't give that permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Jr. Cat

We have issues with raccoons, opposums and skunks. I don't keep food out at night either, but in the winter I was wondering why Shadow was hardly ever in his shelter DH had built. Once morning, I went out to check the status of the blankets and found a huge raccoon inside. There was no way he could fit in through the small opening, but he must of learned how to pry the lid up and sneak inside. If I forget to put Shadows water up on the deck railing at night, I will often see evidence of the raccoons since they like to wash their paws in the water. I always worry about Shadow and all of the wild creatures running around. I am in the suburbs, but we have raccoons, opposums, skunks, deer, red fox and coyotes. It's like our own little zoo!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Cat

We have a lot of animals too.

Racoons

Skunks

and possums

Possums are the worst. Even the foxes don't bother them. I had to "relocate" one little guy who had taken up residence in Midnight's outside house.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Cat Addict

I like possums. They are just like any creature out there - their business is to find food. Remove the food source that attracts them to your home and they'll go someplace else.

My neighbor in the next apartment used to leave garbage bags on the porch when the landlord was away. Possums would rip tham open every night. Those possums were much smarter than my neighbor.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Tom Cat

Critters

Over the past year and a half I've caught well over a dozen raccoons and possums in live traps. I have to set food out for the ferals and it attracts critters. There isn't much for it. I try not to leave the food out too long in the evening. The critters that I catch I relocate to a large open coast wetland on Lake Erie. A better environment I'm sure than a Detroit suburb. I'm dreading my first skunk, but I'm sure that day will come.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Cat Addict

I've also caught 7 raccoons at my feral barn colony. They are less of a problem since I made a cat window that was friendly to cats but problematic for raccoons.

Raccoons can eat a lot, and I'm not here to provide meals for them, just for my cats.

If you're handy, Lyle, you can make a feeding platform like this one: Raccoons can

The principle is the same one I use to discourage raccoons from coming into my barn: Raccoons can't jump. Cats can. The jump box makes it work.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Tom Cat

A great idea!

Never thought of something like that. I just assumed that a raccoon could go where a cat could. Now that I've thought about it I've seen raccoons get/fall into an empty trash can and not be able to get out.

Thanks for the link.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
I've also caught 7 raccoons at my feral barn colony. They are less of a problem since I made a cat window that was friendly to cats but problematic for raccoons.

Raccoons can eat a lot, and I'm not here to provide meals for them, just for my cats.

If you're handy, Lyle, you can make a feeding platform like this one: Raccoons can

The principle is the same one I use to discourage raccoons from coming into my barn: Raccoons can't jump. Cats can. The jump box makes it work.

You need to have this put up in the stickies at the top of the page. Itís a good reference for those dealing with raccoons and your feral feeding stations.

Personally I love all animals. They are not disease carriers. Just like ferals arenít either but I hear that all the time from feral cat haters.

These animals are just trying to survive and live their lives. I miss seeing wild life. Soon they will not exist if we donít start respecting them and valuing them. I watch how weíve encroached on their space to live by building and taking away their habitat. I find that very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page