Big Feral Colony - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Big Feral Colony

I went for my day off workout this morning on the spit, stumbling over rocks, driftwood, etc... great cardio. On the way back to the car found the feral colony I read about last year. Pretty healthy group, looks like several people are feeding them. Being August, lots of kittens and young cats. Most ran from me, but a few stayed as I grabbed the old folding film camera from the car. I am going to head out again with a more modern camera in the next few days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Cool Cat

Awww lovely pics. Can't wait to see more.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Senior Cat

They do look fairly well cared for I would guess, though, that no one has done TNR (trap, nueter, release) on this colony yet?

I wonder if NOAH (located in Stanwood, WA) would be willing to help get all those cats fixed? They do feral cats for free, but it is a bit of 100 miles away from Port Angeles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Cat Addict

That has got to be a precarious place to live in rough weather.

How many cats are there? Is there any effort to TNR?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

There is TNR action going on, found this article from last March -

Port Angeles residents provide two squares a day to colony of feral felines on Ediz Hook [**GALLERY**] -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS

and yes, weather can get real ugly, they live on a narrow spit meant to shelter Port Angeles which takes the brunt of the weather from the Straight of Juan De Fuca. Plus there is a big Coast Guard station out there, and a boat launch. It is a hard place with eagles too - I am sure some of the ones that have disappeared have been snatched by them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Premier Cat

Im always amazed at the harsh living conditions that ferals have. Im grateful there is a compassionate group of people helping this colony.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Kitten

I live in Port Angeles and feed the cats and kittens on Ediz Hook. I have photos of those same ones. The top tabby is sibling to the white kitten shown and there were four white ones. Someone grabbed a white one when they were smaller and has it as a lovely pet. The bottom photo is from a family of 4 or 5 orange kittens, a runt tabby, and the cutest black and orange calico. The whites are pretty shy, but will come out some. They are very conspicuous with their coloring, and I was afraid of eagles getting them. They seem pretty smart and wait until almost dark to appear, and none are missing except the captured one. They are absolutely beautiful! The orange group play on and in front of the rocks. Last night we fed them and made a toy with string and a loop and a bunch of them were going crazy playing. One orange one was batting at my husband's wiggling fingers. I've seen the man in the article hand feed the older tabby cats and he can pet and rub them up. The one eating on the rock in the article high fives my husband all the time. He's one of our favorites. If they are being TNRed, I see no signs of it. I've seen about 30 adult cats out there and none have notched ears. I just found these cats a couple months ago while taking photos of the sunset, and I fear what winter will bring. There are people feeding, but it doesn't seem organized and the cats always seem hungry when we show up about every other day. It might be because we only feed canned foods. There are at least two raccoon families out there stealing the dry. We sit and watch the cats eat the canned food so we know that they get it. I find it hard to believe they get two squares. There is supposed to be work done soon on this area with big trucks and machines bringing in rocks to stop erosion. I fear they will just mow over the cats and kittens!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
There is supposed to be work done soon on this area with big trucks and machines bringing in rocks to stop erosion. I fear they will just mow over the cats and kittens!
When are they planning to start the work?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Premier Cat

Can you organize a TNR? Can you build shelters further down the beach and feed them there once theyve gone thru the process of the relocation period of time. Someone needs to step forward to save these precious souls. Maybe you can be the impetitus?

My TNR group went in and trapped all the ferals living in a trailor park that was slated to be leveled for the constrution of storage units

Last edited by Mitts & Tess; 09-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page