How do we get our litter of 4 nervous kittens to the vets? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to Alyson Jayne
How do we get our litter of 4 nervous kittens to the vets?

We've had four 3mth old feral kittens living in our apartment for a month now. This morning we have an appointment for the vet so they can have their first set of vaccinations. We have a huge cage which we put food in. Unfortunately all four didn't go in at the same time, so we thought we'd settle for the three who entered. However, when we lowered the door to the cage they went mental, throwing themselves about, and one managed to escape through a 2cm gap which presented itself before the latch was secured properly and is now hiding.

Once (if) we manage to get all four done the vets, we need to take them back in a months time for the 2nd and final vaccinations. I don't know how we will do it!

How have other people with litters of kittens managed to do the vet thing?
We're at our wits end!

Last edited by Alyson Jayne; 10-22-2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: mistype
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Tom Cat

Are these going to be socialized and adopted or returned to the colony? If you are socializing and adopting out, It may help to desensitize them to the crate. Kyra(my first) was not a feral, but she had misgivings about the crate. I left it lying around in conspicuous areas with a special treat or toy in it(with NO door on). When she got used to seeing it/playing in it, we put the door on and let her get used to that. Then we made a game of it, put toy or treat in box. Let kitty enter box, close box. Play with/give treats through the bars for less than 30 sec, open box, praise kitty and toss toy across room. Slowly build up the time kitty spends in crate and eventually kitty will not mind the crate.

It worked for me anyway. Good luck, I am sure I will be going through this as soon as tomorrow. I heard from a neighbor that my colony may be larger than I thought, and that they bring kittens to a dumpster down the street to learn to hunt.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Cat

Individual carriers might be easier and prevent unwanted escapees when it's time to open the cage.

Have you looked at theese links with videos on socializing your little ones?https://www.catforum.com/forum/56-fer...tml#post687499
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to Alyson Jayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixall View Post
Are these going to be socialized and adopted or returned to the colony? If you are socializing and adopting out, It may help to desensitize them to the crate. Kyra(my first) was not a feral, but she had misgivings about the crate. I left it lying around in conspicuous areas with a special treat or toy in it(with NO door on). When she got used to seeing it/playing in it, we put the door on and let her get used to that. Then we made a game of it, put toy or treat in box. Let kitty enter box, close box. Play with/give treats through the bars for less than 30 sec, open box, praise kitty and toss toy across room. Slowly build up the time kitty spends in crate and eventually kitty will not mind the crate.

It worked for me anyway. Good luck, I am sure I will be going through this as soon as tomorrow. I heard from a neighbor that my colony may be larger than I thought, and that they bring kittens to a dumpster down the street to learn to hunt.
Good idea Pixall. In preparation for taking the remaining two kittens to the vet, we put a blanket and their water bowl into their cage, left it in the kitchen over the weekend and gave them their meals just outside of it each day. When it came to trapping the remaining two kittens this morning it went really smoothly. And putting a blanket over the top straight away really helps as they stop freaking out instantly once that's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora B View Post
Individual carriers might be easier and prevent unwanted escapees when it's time to open the cage.

Have you looked at theese links with videos on socializing your little ones?https://www.catforum.com/forum/56-fer...tml#post687499
Thanks for your suggestion Nora. We were definitely being a bit too ambitious to think we could trap all four of them in the cage at once and even if we had, it wouldn't have worked once they arrived the vet as she found just the two more than an handful! Unfortunately we don't have the resources to buy four individual carriers, but dealing with them in pairs with the cage is manageable at least.

Last edited by Alyson Jayne; 10-25-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: misttype
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page