New face at the door - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

New face at the door

Tonight I looked out the front door and there was a beautiful pale yellow cat with the prettiest face. It was eating the dry food that the other 2 had left and when it saw me it bolted. I stepped back so as to not scare it anymore and eventually it came back and finished what was left in the dish. I've never seen this one before but it's certainly welcome here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Premier Cat

Best of luck!

I just broke up a cat-fight in our driveway a couple nights ago. Mr. Gray was fighting with a pale orange kitty. My husband also said he'd seen a calico on our back porch about a week ago. Neighbors don't appear to be claiming either of these cats, so if I can catch them, I'll get them TNR'd, at least. Find them homes, at best.

I doubt Gray or BB will allow them to stay in 'their' territory.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

I thought there was going to be a showdown on the front porch earlier between Mamma Cat and new guy yellow cat. Lots of staring and posturing, but Mamma gave up and yellow cat moved in to eat. It is very scared of anyone and has a terrified look in it's eyes when it sees me. Makes me sad to think the poor cat is so frightened of people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Tom Cat

That's the way Tux was, it took several months and a can of wet food for him to figure out we're not out to hurt him. He's come around, but I don't dare pick him up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like an abandoned cat thats been out there awhile. If your up to it you could bring it around and find it an indoor home. Im so gald your feeding it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

Here's an update on the new cat.....not much progress had been achieved. He still is terrified of me and waits until the blinds are drawn and he feels no one is around before he will come and eat. The other day my female feral was eating her morning wet food and Golden (my name for new cat) came up the walk. He didn't see me so I watched him approach the female very carefully but she can be a stinker and she hissed at him so he backed off. Once she was finished he licked up the rest and then ate some dry food. I don't know what more to do to get him, I've decided it's a him, to trust me. Very sad. He is a beautiful cat, just beautiful.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Cat

do you put out numerous bowls of food?

i give all my crew their own bowl of food as opposed to a group bowl/bowls. i do this for a couple of reasons. first it is a way that i can control (to a degree) who eats what, i have a female (mommie) that every once in a while throws up so i try to give her gluten free food. also, she is somewhat of a glutton so i can give her a little less than one of the large (+/- 15 lb) boys. the separate bowls also helps to keep the peace, although now my crew has been together long enough that that is not really an issue. another reason for separate bowls is that in the warmer weather i can de-worm them and know that everybody is getting their meds.

as far as trust, mommie was sort of relocated to my colony (long story) and has been feral a lot longer than the rest. it took probably 6 months before she would go to the food if i was within 100 feet. i would just walk away after putting the food down but still keep looking at her. once she went to the food i would stop and just watch her eat and slowly take a small step back towards her. as time went by she would come to the food when i was closer to her. now, she comes and sits right outside of my back door waiting for me and even lets me pet her and rub her chin on occasion.

keep at it, patience is a virtue and feral cats are virtuous.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

I have always used separate dishes for my original 2 cats. They, however, don't always show up at the same time to eat. Problem with new cat is that he lurks in the bushes and I hardly ever know he's there until I close the door and peek out the window to see him come up the walk. He now bullies the female away from her dish so I set another out for her and he bullied her away that one too. Whenever new cat is in the area I don't see my Blackie. I guess he's scared of new cat. Anyway he is making things very difficult for everyone. He eats everything in sight. He's not starving, he looks very fit. I still wonder if he belongs to someone in the neighborhood. I've asked around but no one seems to know.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Cat

i wish i had some advice for you other than try to keep working towards them having more trust in you.

good luck and please let me know if you make any headway.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page