HELP HELP HELP!! Entire colony in immediate danger! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Exclamation HELP HELP HELP!! Entire colony in immediate danger!

I got home from dinner and here were notes on every door saying they were trapping my entire colony on monday and taking them to a facility. I am calling the apartment management in the morning, but what are my rights? How can I save my cats? I don't know who is trapping them or what will be done with them all I know is they believe the colony is a "stray cat population" which implies a shelter where they will be deemed unadoptable and put down! Help me help them please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Cat Addict

You need more information from your landlord. It is just possible that a TNR group is involved and no harm will come to the cats. If ferals cats are indeed going to 'a facility' it does not look good for them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Premier Cat

This sounds like someone called animal control. Any TNR group would never take a feral cat let alone a colony to a facility. That is a death sentance and TNR groups know that. one of the top rules is never move a colony unless you absolutely have to. Like the entire area was being leveled for a housing developement as an example. Otherwise even if moved to a new area there is a 50% chance the ferals will try to wander back to their original colony location.

As Greenport feral said contact your landlord. Find out who is doing this. If no one will listen about not moving them then I would call the newspaper to get the word out to the general cat loving public. They will make it an issue.

Are you involved with a TNR group? Offer to TNR and support the colony if they will let you s/n the cats.

If they start setting traps then go spring the traps so their effort are fruitless. Do this daily esp in the evenings. Weve had people do this to us and weve pulled out of an area since the people dont understand what we are doing. Even if we posted info flyers on every door in the area. This happens alot in trailor parks to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I spoke to the leasing manager yesterday. Turns out this is something the new property manager did while she was away. I have had run ins with this new manager about other things in the past. The leasing manager is a kind woman who was sincerely concerned when I told her what will happen to them at a shelter, but it is not her I need to convince. She is going to have the other woman contact me Monday with the contact info of the person doing the trapping. Apparently they are from the department of natural resources.

Baltimore has a TNR law in place and maybe if I can show him I am their registered caregiver he will back off. The other option is that through a Craigslist post asking for help and through emailing the local version of ally cat allies, a lawyer contacted me last night. I am going to call her in a minute but it is a delicate situation I cannot irk the management too much as I live here and I don't want them saying that as the caregiver the cats are mine and thus am breaking the lease. :/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Tom Cat

On what (legal) basis is the property manager giving you trouble about taking care of feral cats. The Prince George's [Maryland] Circuit Court ruled on November 10, 2011 that Animal Control Officers may not issue warnings or penalize people for merely feeding feral cat colonies. Here is the press release. http://http://www.pgferals.org/info/...y?PageID=11497
But your lease may have language in it regarding creating nuisance conditions.
Hope your (pro bono?) lawyer can help.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Pixall, any word on the fate of your colony?

----------
Renée
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah they are moving the cats to a nearby farm and management has agreed to work with us when they return/new cats arrive. At this point I am being barred from even talking to the person doing the trapping. All I can do is hope my cats go to my neighbor colony for a few days or just plain stay away from the traps as I do not 100% trust management to do what they said they would. :/ I hope my favorites are okay at the very least
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Cat

It sounds too me like someone complained. You could try for an injunction, but you're a renter not a property owner so your footing is not as strong.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
How are they going to know if you talked to the person who does the trapping??

----------
Renée
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Premier Cat

Keep springing the traps. This is one time being subversive is morally justified. Keep working the other end too. Find out who is trapping. No one can tell you that you have no right to talk to this woman. That is bull****. Be aggressive and a voice for these cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page