Special Holiday Kitty Dinners? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Special Holiday Kitty Dinners?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this! I have always given my pets special meals for the holidays(Thanksgiving=turkey and a bit of stuffing or mashed potatoes etc), So now that I am a caretaker it just seemed natural to give them a little something special tonight with their usual dinner. I didn't even think about it. Cutting up the chicken for my cats, I just cut up a whole lot more than normal and then added cream to make it just that much more extra special for my wild cats. I may not have a whole lot of money this season, but this little thing just warmed my heart. None of my cats are going to have a sad holiday, whether they are indoor pets or not-so-cuddly ferals!

I am officially the only one feeding my rag tag team of ferals, and they appreciate it like none other! The other feeders were scared off by the management's threats, but screw that! These are my cats, and I am going to feed them! Besides, the stations are technically on city property so neh neh neh to them! LOL

Sorry, I just had to post this. The holiday has me a bit down this year, and knowing that what I do makes a difference in the life of (at least) ten cats every single day was able to bring me out of my funk. Animals are simply amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Cat

since i am vegetarian i don't have meat at home, but i did scam some turkey breast from my mother for my crew. other than that i gave them treats by the handful.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Cat Addict

I feed the strays raw meats on Friday evenings, because it's the Shabat Dinner, which has to be special. I feed extra special on Passover Eve and New Year's Eve. The other important reason I feed the special food on these days is that, due to the holiday / shabat, the streets are empty and quiet so they can eat calmly and enjoy, and I don't have nosey neighbors to bother me when I'm doing the serving, which is more complicated - and there are no people strolling their dogs.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Cat Addict

I mean, meat attracts dogs, so it's not safe.

Also, on these days I'm feeling festive myself because I don't work and I have more time and energy to cut and debone the meats.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Tom Cat

canned chicken and sardines are the holiday treats
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Tom Cat

Yes, I fed my feral/stray/dumped cat colony (10 regulars) extra special food for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I plan on feeding them an adoption dinner the end of January because that's when I adopted Ritz, herself a rescued stray cat from the same area.
I feed my resident cat Ritz raw. Most Sundays I prepare food for the week. On Christmas I cut up a five pound whole (raw) chicken and gave half to the ferals, mainly skin and meat on bone. They loved it, and goodness knows they need the calories in this cold weather. And they get the leftovers from when I TNR (mackerel) as well as any food Ritz won't eat (she didn't like beef heart).
One of these days I should do a cost comparison of feeding (cheap) raw meat versus four cans of Friskies.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Cat Addict

I'm in a different part of the world, so this will likely not be relevant to you, but I've discovered that chicken wings (purchased at a certain place) cost exactly the same as the cheapest corn kibble for street cats, or less. And you can't compare the happiness (= release of endorphins that strengthen the immune system), the taurine, everything. The only reason people feed corn to their cats (I mean here) instead of meat is that it's easier to prepare. 3 lbs chicken wings (an all-you-can-eat party for 10 cats), cutting in 3 and removing the big one of the 3 bones - about 1 hour. Then I freeze the big bones and make chicken broth, which they absolutely love on cold nights. Nothing to throw away, except the big bones after making the broth.

Passers-by have mentioned that my strays have shinier coats than other strays in the neighborhood. I say it's because they're fed meat (and raw at that) once a week.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Cat Addict

I give them chicken wings twice a month, chicken liver + chicken breast once a month and once a month, just for the enjoyment, half a (big) can of wet food each, Felix or pate.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Heyy! That is a really good idea about the broth! I give the big bones to my dog, as chicken bones are only dangerous once cooked. But I just bet my wild kitties would enjoy some nice warm chicken broth now and again!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Cat Addict

If you add corn flour mixed with water to the broth, you get a nice gravy to pour over the kibble on days when you don't have anything "special" to feed them. The below recipe is a bit more complex, but can also be made with the leftover bones.

Gravy recipe - Make chicken stock - in a large pot, cover the meat in water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. Run the cooked meat through a hand-blender and add it back to the stock. Put equal amounts of flour and butter or oil in a saucepan and cook over a low heat to melt the butter and combine it with the flour, stirring all the time. Gradually add the stock while stirring. The mixture will initially lump up. Keep stirring. You can add some milk. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, until it thickens to the consistency of gravy. Freeze in portions and serve alone or mixed with food.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page