I don't know anything about caring for ferals... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I don't know anything about caring for ferals...

Okay, so the make-shift shelter I provided for the boy has gone unused. He likes to sit on the ledge of my balcony and nap or just hang out. I've found him sleeping under the stairs on a rainy day as well. I think maybe he's unsure of the shelter?

Anyway, I had a bigger question : I'm wondering if it's possible that he will get used to me providing food for him and he stops hunting for himself? The past week, every morning I find him sitting at my side door on the balcony. Waiting for food most likely? I feed him a warm soupy bowl of food and he carries on with his business. Thing is, if I go outside and he sees or hears me, he comes to the corner looking at his bowl, looking at me, with those sad hopeful Kitty eyes. I wish there was more I could do.

I also had to stop an almost bad fight between him and the cat I picked up and kept inside for a couple days because he almost got run over. It was a couple months ago, nut he wound up being a neighbors cat. I want to scream at her so badly! He's such a sweet cat and he can get seriously hurt out here. No collar, no updated shots, nothing. Gah!!

Anyway, will the feral still fend for himself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Tom Cat

Thanks for taking care of the cat. Yes, the feral will still fend for himself. Yes, h will get use to you providing food, but he will still hunt, whether because he's hungry or because it's instinct. This is also true for indoor/outdoor cats (not ferals).
Has the Boy been neutered?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

No, he's absolutely not been neutered. I'm assuming you mean the feral, not the other boy? He's very much in tact. I don't see how I'd be able to use a trap to take him to get neutered, if he won't even go near the little house I put out for him. It just kills me that he's all alone. He really looks like he's never seen a good day in his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Cat Addict

Sometimes ferals want a shelter that they can get out of one end and get in the other end, for safety. Sometimes they don't take to a place until something makes them try it out, then they love it. Have you tried putting treats in it?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page