"Gummy" Bear, the latest TNR - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

"Gummy" Bear, the latest TNR

The local stray/feral previously known as "Bear" was trapped and brought into the PAWS clinic for the usual. During the routine exam it was discovered that (in addition to the usual beat-up condition of toms on the street) poor Bear (about 5 years old) had dental problems so severe that most of his teeth were gone and the remaining few teeth had to be removed due to infection.

This was done and for the last 3 weeks Bear has been recovering with the help of a considerable amount of anti-biotics. Yesterday we released Bear to his fate back on the street (he didn't like the accommodations anyway). There are several people in the area who provide Bear with food and he should do ok, so the Vet says.

In telling the story to a friend of mine he mentioned that we needed to name him. I said that he already had a name: "Bear". "Gummy Bear" you mean, says he and the name stuck.

The pic isn't the best. Gummy is a bit shy. Oh yeah, and his tongue sticks out a bit.

GBear by clylet, on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GBear.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	4426  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Kitten

poor baby! I wish him a speedy recovery!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Gummy was completely recovered from his infections when we released him. He had had his last vet check-up the day before and had gotten a clean bill-of-health from the vet. With the infections gone and (hopefully) no more fighting he should do well. There are several people around, including us now, who will provide food so he doesn't have to hunt.

On his last day, he tried to claw me though the cage bars which I took as a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Premier Cat

Wow you are such a cat saint to go the extra mile for him and treat his extra problems. 5 years old is pretty old for a feral. He sounds like a wiley guy and a survivor.

Most TNR groups dont go the extra mile. You are outstanding! My prayers go with Gummy Bear. Id love to hear updates. I know he has to be feeling so much happier with the infection gone and not driven to mate. He can "retire" now to an easier life!

Most vets dont have the confidence to do hand on help with ferals. Kudos to the vet. Great job!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

There is a rather loose, but committed group of support people in my area. "Grinders", not activists.
The vet that I deal with WRT the ferals, for example, is a semi-retired vet with a big heart. I couldn't begin to list the favors that she has bestowed on those she sees as committed to the cause of ferals. Exactly why and what her motivation is, I'm not really sure. I very rarely see or speak to her.
Needless to say that any effort on my part would be for nothing if it were not for the Medics and others at the clinic(s) and shelter(s).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
There is a rather loose, but committed group of support people in my area. "Grinders", not activists.
The vet that I deal with WRT the ferals, for example, is a semi-retired vet with a big heart. I couldn't begin to list the favors that she has bestowed on those she sees as committed to the cause of ferals. Exactly why and what her motivation is, I'm not really sure. I very rarely see or speak to her.
Needless to say that any effort on my part would be for nothing if it were not for the Medics and others at the clinic(s) and shelter(s).
Whats a Grinder? And what does WRT mean? I give you a lot of credit since your the one in the field doing the thankless job of trapping and watching over the ferals after they are TNRed! It is a joint effort! People who do TNR dont get much kudos. Its a unrecognized passion in the animal rescue community. You have my admiration and appreciation for the difference your making in the ferals lives.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

WRT - with respect to....

Grinder - Someone with more perseverance than flash. Someone who just keeps "grinding away" at the task, usually with little or no recognition. I think that the sailors on the winches of racing sailboats are referred to as "grinders".

Kudos to Doc for sure ,but I'm sure she could care less. I don't think that anyone who does this sort of thing for the glory or recognition they'll receive lasts long. It's gotta be personal on some level. The thanks that you usually get from the cat is similar to the attempt by Gummy to claw me through the cage
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Cat

good work lyle!

you really are lucky to have a vet in your area that goes above and beyond to try to help out the cause. if/when i run into a issue with one of the cats my only option for a lower cost treatment is to have my local animal control officer bring it to the vet. if she brings it in they don't charge any doctor fees and will always provide "expired" meds at no charge. problem is that usually this type of situation seems to arise after hours or on holidays. i have had some luck with some of the vets as far as waiving the doctor fees or "forgetting" to write up a test when i have brought one in myself since it is a feral cat.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

As Roseanne used to say: "It's always something. Either they bite, or they have no teeth." In spite of it all though, everything is fine with all of my "charges".

With the arrival of good weather, the garage cats are scouring the neighborhood at night, bringing in dead mice and strategically placing them by the door so I'll be sure to step on them in the dark. Then they all stare at me and I'm obliged to heap praise on them for their hunting skills (or maybe they're waiting for me to eat it). As far as the garage cats know, humans don't eat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Cat

yeah, their "presents" are such a joy i often say that i should charge the mall where my colony is for "pest control", i am certain that even the restaurants don't have any mice inside thanks to my crew.

i feel that my crew must believe that inside my work is like the serengeti, i go through that door and come back out with all kinds of tasty food.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page