question about feral behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

question about feral behavior

Why do ferals meow loudly when walking into a yard looking for food?

Im cat / house sitting for a friend. She has a large 6 foot stucco wall surrounding her backyard and pool and stream. Her cats are indoor /house outdoor cats. I leave food out because ferals cruise thru here looking for food. She doesnt like me doing that but tough. I do it anyway.

Cats were with me in the house. I hear this loud, croaky sounding meow yowl several times. All the cats went on high alert. I rushed over to slide the door shut so they wouldnt go after the cat.

It could of snuck in and snuck some food from the bowl and left without announcing its arrival. All her 4 cats are spayed and neutered so I doubt its a mating call? Im curious what yalls opinion is on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Cat

Not that I know for sure but the cat is probably in heat, announcing to the world here I am.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Cat

i have always taken it that they just want to be sure that daddy realizes that they are there and are showing that they are glad to see me.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Its an orange kitty so I was assuming its a male but there are a few female orange cats. Maybe she is in heat. Next time im here im going to trap her. Hopefully shell still be around, and survived the coyotes. The animal coyotes!!! We have lots of the human coyotes here to. Those Id shoot if they were in the backyard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page