Feral, barn cat - the same? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Feral, barn cat - the same?

I have posted in the "introduce yourself" forum about a kitty I have been feeding for the past 8 months. She comes now to within 4 ft. of me when I feed her. I know she is a fixed female, her ear is tipped. I made a little house for her for the winter, but it broke my heart, sometimes she stayed outside with snow falling on her. I have a havaheart trap which I am going to use to try and bring her in, in about 4 - 5 weeks. When I talk to her, she rolls around on the ground and rubs her head on everything. I think I am slowly gaining her trust. Will that trust be lost when I have to trap her to bring her in? I have another inside cat, but I have made a room for the outside cat, with a screen door and plexi glass, bought a big cat tree, and a few smaller cat trees. I cannot go another winter watching her outside in 10 degree weather. Is there a difference between "barn" cat and feral?, we believe that is what she was - barn cat. Please, any encouragement, advice, would be greatly appreciated. I am praying I can get her in!
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Cat

The others here have a lot more experience than me, but I caught my Josie using a trap. I thought she was feral and wanted to get her spayed, so I borrowed a trap and put it on the porch for a week or so to get her used to it. When it was time to trap, she went right in within minutes. As it turned out, she was already spayed and therefore had been someone's pet at one time. No one was looking for her, no one responded to my found report, and no microchip. She did not hold the trapping against me at all. I think she was so relieved to be in from the elements and very grateful. My only regret is that I waited so long.

Good luck! Thank you for caring for this little one!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saly View Post
Will that trust be lost when I have to trap her to bring her in?
I wouldn't say it would be lost, but there may be a long adjusting period if the cat has never been indoors, or even if it has, it will be a new scary environment. Even cats that aren't on the streets can have long adjustment times to a new location. The good news is, that once she's inside you'll be able to spend way more time with her and she'll likely come around to the idea of being petted sooner than she would if left outdoors.

I wouldn't let this stop you at all! It's the correct step in taming her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saly View Post
Is there a difference between "barn" cat and feral?, we believe that is what she was - barn cat. Please, any encouragement, advice, would be greatly appreciated. I am praying I can get her in!
Sally
The way I see it... a barn cat is a cat that is used in and around a barn to hunt mice, that's its meaning it in the purest forum. A lot of people care for their barn cats to different degrees from there. A barn cat should be but all too often is not spayed/neutered and also have an alternative food source, as cats aren't going to live off of mice alone. They can be very friendly cats, running right up to you, they just are not a cat you bring into your home, as they're used as working animals. My uncle has barn cats, they have kibble, they sleep in the large hay bundles inside the barn, they're shut inside the barn at night to avoid wild animals, they're neutered, and one of the two is extremely friendly even to strangers.

A feral cat is born in the wild and has not had any - or very little - contact with humans. They're afraid of people and avoid them, and it takes a great deal of effort to win their trust. Usually months or years, if ever, and even then usually only to the people that have tamed it.

A semi-feral cat is one that used to live with people in some capacity but had become lost/abandoned and had to learn to fend for its self. They are slowly reverting to a feral state, and it can take these cats a long time to warm up to people as well, depending on their past experiences with people and on their length of time outdoors.

I think your cat falls into the last category, she's warmed up to you very quickly for a truly feral cat; 8 months isn't that long. At one point she was TNR'ed (trapped, neutered, returned) if you go by the eat tipping - but that just means that the people she initially had grown up around her had never spayed her before she ended up on the street and eventually caught.

My cat was somewhat like that, she took a year outdoors until she left me get close enough pet her, she had been spayed in the past (no ear tipping). When I first carried her inside (after a few months of petting her outdoors she was terrified of the entire house, she went wild inside the first time we closed the door on her, like we'd just given her a death sentence or something; she jumped out a broken window! We continued to bring her inside and we opened an old unused dog door that's built into the side of the house from the backyard. At first she'd just run out the dog door when we put her in the house but eventually she started to come inside as well since we'd put her food indoors and shown her where it was. I suppose that back room with the dog door and her food became her 'safe room' for many months. She started coming in on her own just for food but eventually over another year became relaxed in the entire house, she's somewhat aloof to strangers in the home, but not afraid at all. She's the most well rounded cat I've met.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 07-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you!

Thank you for your replys! Today she came within a foot and a half!! Please, please keep replying, I need encouragment, I have been watching her for -- so -- long, I just want her in and safe. I would do it sooner, but we are leaving for a vacation the the second week of August for a week, I have someone to feed her outside while we are gone, and my husband is coming back home for 2 days to make sure she is ok, and also my inside cat (who is our baby!), and the day we get back, I will be putting out the trap, that will be made to stay open so she can get used to it (she is very smart), and then after about a week I will set the trap so I can get her in. I must also tell you I have put the trap out for the past few weeks all around the yard - and will contine do to so - not set - so she can get used to seeing it around the yard, as I said she is very smart and I am so afraid she won't go in when it is time. Any success stories are greatly apprecaited, I have never dones this before, Thank YOU!!!!
Sally
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Cat

great work!

a little story about the first feral that i tried to socialize. even though the vet that altered her was aware that i was going to socialize her he still eartipped her and marked all of her paperwork "VERY AGGRESSIVE - USE EXTREME CAUTION". well, after having her in a dog cage for 5 months and spending countless hours working with her during that time i sent that vet a picture and note mentioning that if he ever needed someone to help deal with any kitties that seemed out of control he could give me a call. the pic i sent -

keep at it, you are doing a great thing!

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you!

what a great picture! beautiful cat! I am hoping and praying I can get my kitty in, and get her to come around, she came to 1 -1/2 feet yesterday!
When I sit very still and talk to her, she won't run, but any sudden momvement and she moves back, hopefully with all your help and prayers it will get better!
SAlly
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Cat

I rigged up a shelter for any feral who wants to occupy it. I've got a covered back porch with a wooden picnic table on it. I bought some styrofoam sheets from a Lowes, glued & duct taped two sides and the roof together.

I have an electrical outlet on the porch so I put a pet heated pad on the inside floor. The shelter is pretty long so I also had room to put one of those self-warming pads in back of the heated pad. I bought the heated pad at Menards for about $40, on sale. The self-warming pad cost $20 @ PetsMart.

I had a kingsize comforter in the basement [never used] & threw that over the shelter. On top of the comforter I put a plastic heavy guage tarp. I deliberately left two open ends in case a raccoon might try & investigate & the kitty would have a backway out, if need be.

I pulled the comforter over the "front door" & left only a little area for entry. The "back door" is open but completely covered by the comforter & tarp so kitty can dash out if he wants to.

Oh yeah, I also bought a heated water dish for them also.

Believe me, that contraption gets used, for sure!

judy

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Cat Addict

You seem to be doing brilliantly.

My oldest cat was in the semi-feral category. She's adorable but still wary of strangers even all these years later although she's a big softie with us.

The only thing I would say is that the fact she's been "fixed" may not mean that she used to be a pet. I kn.ow of several schemes that capture, spay and release
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat

When I bring Ben in??

I am planning on trapping her in about 4 -5 weeks. Trap is outside, not set, I have been putting it all around the yard and it doesn't bother her at all. She actually rubs her head on it. I am wondering when I do trap her (God willing!!), shoud I bring her to the vets at that time? Will she be too traumatized to also go the vets? I know I wouldn't be able to bring her for months after that until she gets socialized. Anyone have any experience with this? This is all a first for me, any input is greatly appreciated!
Sally
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat

To the vets??

When I trap my little Ben, should I bring her to the vets right away, or will this traumatize her even more. I know I wouldn't be able to bring her to the vets for quite a while (months), if I didn't do it then. I would like to have her dewormed and deflead, plus the other tests. They might have to sedate her, I don't know! Anyone have experience at this? I am new to all this!!!! And I just want to do the best for her!
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page