Extremely docile feral - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Extremely docile feral

A kind of follow up thread to an earlier one that I posted about Joker (one of the feral garage cats). For the past three weeks I've had Joker in a cage and have been giving Him eye drops in both eyes, three times a day. In all that time he's not once tried to run, bite, scratch or anything. He's been to the vet several times and is the darling of the vet techs as he puts up with anything.

I understand that he's scared, and prone to cower, but this is borderline creepy. Joker was TNRd at two months and was separated from his family at that early age and on his own. I've suspected that he was just "not right" in some developmental sense.

Any comments from someone with a similar situation? I'm thinking about bringing him in the house as he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a "hardcore" street cat. He doesn't seem to understand cat boundrys and won't defend himself and gets the worst of it too often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Cat

joker,

I think I would definetly try and bring him in, doesn't sound like he would survive to good outside!
Sally
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Cat Addict

Yes, most definitely bring him in - he wants to be a house cat, not a street cat.
Of the 20-something ferals I've sheltered and fed in my cat barn, 5 came home to live with me. They graduated. Sounds like Joker is ready for the transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Cat

i gotta agree with Saly and Greenport ferals, Joker sounds like he will adjust really easily to being the King of your home.

just the fact that you can give him eye drops tells me that not only does he trust you but he loves you. add to that the fact that you feel he is a little "off" and all the more reason to transition him.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Cat Addict

By the way, Lyle, if he has eye issues, are you giving him any lysine? I have found it does wonders for conjunctivitis and general eye health. The taste is well disguised by wet food and I give it to my cats as a regular thing if eye issues crop up.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Cat Addict

Please bring him in. He doesn't sound cut out for "roughing it".

Just as an add on, I think you are right that he may have developmental issues. Oz is older than Jem but much younger developmentally.

Please forgive another example that is dog based! Years ago, I had a Great Dane cross Springer Spaniel who was brain damaged during birth and who never developed beyond the puppy stage.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
By the way, Lyle, if he has eye issues, are you giving him any lysine? I have found it does wonders for conjunctivitis and general eye health. The taste is well disguised by wet food and I give it to my cats as a regular thing if eye issues crop up.

It's still uncertain at this point whether or not his eye infection is/was bacterial/viral. The eye drops are assuming bacterial and I've been giving lysine for the past week or so too. The garage cats are exposed to so much that i don't know about that it's difficult to determine causes, just effects. He also had a scratched cornea which may or may not have contributed to, or caused, the problem.

On the positive side, his eyes have cleared up nicely which coincided with the lysine. I've seen lysine do some pretty remarkable things virus-wise with things like cold sores which are hard to treat in many cases. Something about helping the body form the protein coat around the virus I believe.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
Please bring him in. He doesn't sound cut out for "roughing it".

Just as an add on, I think you are right that he may have developmental issues. Oz is older than Jem but much younger developmentally.

Please forgive another example that is dog based! Years ago, I had a Great Dane cross Springer Spaniel who was brain damaged during birth and who never developed beyond the puppy stage.
Joker is one of three siblings who are most of the garage cats. The other two are "normal". They were TNRd at three months and remained with their mother for the normal developmental period. Poor little Joker was thrown out into the world much too early. He just doesn't seem to know how to behave. He appears to be a kitten in most respects even though he's 2 1/2 years old now. I suspect the lack of a proper roll model and very poor nutrition as the reason. In any case, he's required more vet care than all the other cats in our care ( in-door and out) combined.

I think that all our lives would be easier if he were inside, in a more controlled environment.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Cat Addict

Joker, you've hit the big time.
Any photos?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Jr. Cat

I agree with others that he should be brought in. If you can put in eye drops, he seems like he could be a good candidate.

About development or being 'not right', it seems other ferals could potentially have this issue as well. Thrown out early with little socialization, plus lack of nutrition for proper brain development.

The feral on my balcony, Myul-chee, also seems a bit 'not right' in some ways. Wether it's nature or nurture, she has trauma issues, Which is one reason I decided to take her in, as we knew it was just a matter of time before something bad happened to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page