keeping my fingers crossed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

keeping my fingers crossed

well, today as i was getting ready to leave work i went outside to check on my crew - bring a late afternoon snack to tide them over til supper - i saw a cat leaving one of my feeding stations. i had seen this one only once before, about two months ago.

today after seeing me he only went about 15 feet an laid down under my car. after a few minutes he slowly walked off towards the path that leads to the cats houses and just laid down. i didn't find it too strange given the fact that today was well into the 90s with oppressive humidity, all my crew were pretty much avoiding any movement. he let me get to within 10 feet of him and i could see that his eyes were totally caked/snotted up. well, even though i had something to do i knew that i needed to try and get this one now.

surprisingly, even though he had a big meal before i knew he was there i was able to catch him within an hour. i got him to the hospital and unfortunately he has a raging upper respiratory infection and is, to quote the vet, "wicked FIV+". i am having him treated with fluids and antibiotics. once he (hopefully) starts to respond we can make a better call on what to do.

i am hoping that once/if he feels better and we can get a better take on how feral he is and it will turn out that he is not too feral, this way i can possibly place him for socialization. the hospital does not release + ferals for return, not wanting a spread of disease, so i told them i would take him in.

i am unable to take him myself right now, so, once i have let my local animal control officer know the deal, will return him if i can not find anyone to socialize him.

please keep your fingers crossed for "spotty"

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Cat Addict

Really hope this works out! Please keep us up-dated.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Tom Cat

Spotty got a tough deal. Best to you both Whaler, you're one of the good ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Cat Addict

So glad Spotty is getting help.
I've never been in this situation, but can imagine what you're going through - lots of stress and uncertainty, not to mention vet bills. There have been a few ragged-looking cats that show up at my barn colony from time to time, but none has ever stayed long enough to assess or catch.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

thanks for the warm wishes, it is appreciated.

no news as of yet. they should be calling me tonight to give me an update on his condition but the vet thought that if we were going to see improvement it wouldn't be until monday. in the meantime i am just trying to keep positive thoughts, i figure that a guy like him, not having been a member of a colony that was maintained, is a real strong guy since he made it this far.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain

Last edited by Whaler; 07-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Cat Addict

Any news, Whaler?

Yesterday while I was sitting quietly in a corner of the barn watching the ferals eat, a big orange cat I'd never seen before came out of the shadows. My cats obviously knew him and let him eat. However, he was moving with difficulty and I thought, oh no, here we go. I set a trap for him, but no results yet.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

we hopefully have a happy ending for spotty.

monday morning i spoke with my animal control officer and she went to the hospital and explained to one of the vets that is quite "feral friendly" how i already have a FIV+ in my colony and that i do take good care of them and look out for issues. the vet said that he can be released into my care while he gets better and then i can do as i see fit.

i went to visit him monday night and while he is clearly not feeling well he has not taken any steps backwards. a tech brought him into a room and he didn't try to get up, he seemed reasonably comfortable as i was petting him. also, one hopefully good sign is that the tech told me "he likes to eat". at least even though he isn't feeling well he still has a huge appetite. obviously since we are dealing with both bacterial and viral issues he is not out of the woods yet but i will go with a glass half full way of thinking.

he is still at the hospital and he has been receiving clavamox as well as an antibiotic gel for his eyes. he has been docile enough that the techs are able to give him his meds without any assistance.

today is the big day, i recruited my mother to foster him and she will be picking him up today. depending on how things go he will be back at the vet in two weeks to get his vaccines and then get altered. after all of that we will try and determine what to do with him. if, as he gets better, he reverts to a more "true feral" i will reintroduce him to my crew. i am guessing that after having been at the hospital for four days and then at my moms for at least a few weeks he will remain at least a bit docile. from there, if he seems strong he can stay at my mothers and live there. the only bad thing would be that since she has moderate allergies he would be an indoor/outdoor cat. my parents do live at the end of a dead end road that is on the edge of a large track of woods so there is no traffic and over the years they have only had one cat that might have been lost to a predator. last possibility is if his health is still a little sketchy i will try to work something out so he can remain indoors exclusively - not sure how, but i will make something happen.

once again, thanks for the kind wishes.

Greenport - good luck getting this new one, i will keep my other fingers crossed for you.

--Mark Twain

Last edited by Whaler; 07-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Cat Addict

That's really great news so far, good for Spotty.
How about a photo?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Jr. Cat

That's great. I hope Spotty improves quickly.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

a little update on spotty.

i have not seen him since he got to my parents house, they live about a half hour drive and i have not had time to make it over there yet. hoping to be able to visit him this weekend.

my mother reports that he seems to be feeling a bit better. he has only hissed a couple of times and just meowed to my mom yesterday, she said that he now knows that she is the "feeder". he has even allowed them to pet him while he is eating.

he has been eating like a pig. when i spoke to my mom last night around 8:00 he had already eaten 2 5.5 oz cans and another half of a small can, and he still had his bedtime snack to go! he has not been picky about food at all. with him being FIV + i had my mom pick up only high quality foods like wellness and evo. she bought a bunch of different flavors and he has eaten every bit, even cleaning the sides of his dish. the vet weighed him the day he was discharged and he tipped the scales at 13 lbs, but i think that when/if he gets back to a healthy state he should be more in the 16 lb range, he is one big boy.

she has been giving him his clavamox about a half hour after eating. she puts it in pill pockets and he wolfs them right down. the eye meds were a little bit tricky. they were not able to give him his first dose, he was struggling hard - not attacking, just trying like crazy to avoid it. we called the vet to give them a heads up that if they are still unable to get the meds in his eyes we would either bring him back to stay at the vet until his eye meds were finished or, if possible my mom would drive him to the vets twice a day to have them administer it. fortunately that evening they were able to do it. once he went to his food my father got him in a blanket and my mom got him his meds. his eyes have improved, at least they look better than they did even a day ago, and they look a million times better than when i trapped him.

another good sign is that he has been spending a good bit of time grooming himself, he certainly had not been doing that for a while before i trapped him.

my moms camera is pretty crappy, but here is a pic -

--Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page